The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th Anniversary Edition (original 1979; edition 2004)

by Douglas Adams

24,57141244 (4.22)1 / 944
Member:Big_Kahuna
Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Crown (2004), Edition: 25 Anv, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A campy-SF 50's detective story that I think will appeal to the same sense of humor.
    The Wish List by Eoin Colfer (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Follow the unlikely hero through a tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi adventure
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (mybookshelf)
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (revolutionary_marcia)
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.

English (386)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (411)
This book was so much fun! It actually a really special book to literally make me laugh out loud and this book managed to do just that...multiple times. The book was full of outrageous circumstances being treated as if this could happen to the average person on a bad day, which added to the hilarity of the situation.

Basically, the story begins with Arthur Dent, an average man just wanting to live his life in peace, finding out that his house needed to be demolished in order to put in a bypass. As he fights to keep his house, he believes that his day can't get much worse until his friend, Ford Prefect, comes along and convinces him to leave the site. Ford then explains, in a pub, that the world is about to be destroyed, as it is in the path of a new hyperspace bypass, and from then on, Dent's life becomes a science fiction tale.

The greatest part of this book what how everything paralleled. Den'ts house is destroyed for a bypass in which Dent was not properly made aware of due to poor government planning. Later, the world is destroyed for the same exact reason and the galactic government gives the same reasons for their actions as the Earth government gave about Dent's house. The poor man can't seem to escape badly run government planning.

This book is the definition of schadenfreude (a German word for getting pleasure from someone else's pain). Poor Dent looses his house and becomes the last human in existence all in the same hour but yet we laugh.

If you're looking for a laugh riot of a book, this is definitely it. It is extremely quotable and on top of all this you get to learn the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
'If I asked you where the hell we were,' said Arthur weakly, 'would I regret it?'
Ford stood up. 'We're safe,' he said.
'Oh good,' said Arthur.
'We're in a small galley cabin,'said Ford, 'in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.'
'Ah, said Arthur, 'this is obviously some strange usage of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.'

I've been a fan of HHGG ever since listening to the original radio series on BBC Radio 4. It has been one of my favourite books ever since, and although I chose a quotation from early in the book, it is equally funny all the way through. ( )
1 vote isabelx | Jan 21, 2015 |
it has a unique sense of humor, but I find it rather refreshing. and I think this may seriously be the best dialogue I have ever read ... ever. because Adams is just awesome like that. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Just grab a towel and relax because this review has 'Don't Panic' written on it!

I believe that the Hitchhiker's Guide has been a very famous and well known SF-classic for years now. Among my friends there are multiple running jokes concerning The Question of Life, Universe and Everything, dolphins and a sperm whale.

I remember that, as a kid, I used to translate stuff into English with a translate machine called Babelfish (It was a shitty translator, even compared with Google Translate meagre translations). I never knew why it was called like this, until I read this book.

So many things became clear. Just in order to 'get' the jokes I would recommend this book. But it is so much more. Some things have become funny, even though they weren't meant to be (like all this stuff over - OMG só state of the art - Digital watches (no, they didn't have a WIFI connection or anything fancy)).

This, and so much more. When I was reading it, there were many scenes I had to read multiple times, because people wanted to know just why I was laughing so hard.

Note: There used to be a Dutch radio show of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Dutch readers may find it interesting to know that Ford was called Amro Bank! =)
1 vote Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
(8.3)
  mshampson | Nov 1, 2014 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keine Panik
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be the Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/ What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered

A curse up to God;

The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,095,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible