The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th Anniversary Edition (original 1979; edition 2004)

by Douglas Adams

26,15646842 (4.22)1 / 1014
Member:Big_Kahuna
Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 25th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Crown (2004), Edition: 25 Anv, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A campy-SF 50's detective story that I think will appeal to the same sense of humor.
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    The Wish List by Eoin Colfer (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Follow the unlikely hero through a tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi adventure
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (unlucky)
    unlucky: Both are comedic with insight and satirical in nature, making fun of conventions in their respective genres.
    Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (mybookshelf)
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (revolutionary_marcia)

1970s (1)
Read (51)

English (438)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Slovak (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (465)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Audio performance by Steven Fry
4 stars

Silly, silly, much too silly! I remembered listening to the BBC production of this series on public radio many years ago. But I’d never been able to listen to all the episodes consecutively and after so much time I’d lost many of the crazy details of the story. When I began to listen to Steven Fry read this unabridged version, I was afraid the humor would be lost and the story would be too dated.

DON’T PANIC. I shouldn’t have worried. The satire and the absurdity are still there, even if the Earth is gone. I listened for one full day while I cleaned out 30 years worth of teaching debris. The destruction of Arthur Dent’s house and the destruction of Earth resonated against my years in a small school district where each succeeding locally elected school board seemed bent on destroying the very schools they were elected to govern. Thirty years ago, Arthur Dent was just funny. Today I feel like I’m right there with him; setting out the deck chairs on the Titanic and waiting for the whale to come crashing to the ground.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Just grab a towel and relax because this review has 'Don't Panic' written on it!

I believe that the Hitchhiker's Guide has been a very famous and well known SF-classic for years now. Among my friends there are multiple running jokes concerning The Question of Life, Universe and Everything, dolphins and a sperm whale.

I remember that, as a kid, I used to translate stuff into English with a translate machine called Babelfish (It was a shitty translator, even compared with Google Translate meagre translations). I never knew why it was called like this, until I read this book.

So many things became clear. Just in order to 'get' the jokes I would recommend this book. But it is so much more. Some things have become funny, even though they weren't meant to be (like all this stuff over - OMG só state of the art - Digital watches (no, they didn't have a WIFI connection or anything fancy)).

This, and so much more. When I was reading it, there were many scenes I had to read multiple times, because people wanted to know just why I was laughing so hard.

Note: There used to be a Dutch radio show of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Dutch readers may find it interesting to know that Ford was called Amro Bank! =)
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
A good story is one thing, certainly worth checking out, but a good story with its own unique brand of stylistic flare, one so lovingly potent that it could command the attention of a room, is something rare and beautiful.

In terms of action alone, not a whole lot happens in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I mean, sure, Arthur Dent, the story's hapless Joe and main protagonist, is kidnapped to outer space after surviving the destruction the Earth and is subsequently an unwilling participant in a series of unbelievable and improbable events, but getting there is only part of the fun. It's the wonky, sarcastic and not-quite-serious tone that Adams strikes that makes Hitchhiker a classic instead of merely a good story. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | May 16, 2016 |
Read it as a group read. It's a weird book, weird dialogues and weird creatures. I enjoyed the book though accepting all it's strangeness. I liked Ford and whom i felt the only intelligent creature (or sensible). I couldnt help laughing on some of the lines,its humourous... And yes it's the 1st book in the series and will be reading the next 4 books :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Brilliant. Though I thought it ended rather abruptly. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keine Panik
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across---which happened to be the Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/ What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered

A curse up to God;

The clouds laughed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345391802, Mass Market Paperback)

Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,948,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible