Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste…

Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste (edition 2005)

by John Waters (Author), Simon Doonan (Foreword)

To me, bad taste is what entertainment is all about. If someone vomits watching one of my films, it's like getting a standing ovation. Thus begins John Waters's autobiography. And what a story it is. Opening with his upbringing in Baltimore ("Charm City" as dubbed by the tourist board the "hairdo capital of the world" as dubbed by Waters), it covers his friendship with his muse and leading lady, Divine, detailed accounts of how Waters made his first movies, stories of the circle of friends/actors he used in these films, and finally the "sort-of fame" he achieves in America. Complementing the text are dozens of fabulous old photographs of Waters and crew. Here is a true love letter from a legendary filmmaker to his friends, family, and fans.… (more)
Member:NickPoff
Title:Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste
Authors:John Waters (Author)
Other authors:Simon Doonan (Foreword)
Info:Running Press Adult (2005), Edition: 3rd, 256 pages
Tags:favorites

Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste by John Waters

Read (226)
Books (38)

First half : 5 stars
Second half : 3 stars

He just runs out of steam, runs out of enthusiasm, and the second half of this book and his life should be the most interesting. Still, a worthwhile look at the path of a Just-Do-It film maker. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
Oh if only all film director autobiographies were all this hysterical! John Waters takes us by the hand and leads us through his bad taste world and life story, meeting the most bizarre cast of characters - most of whom appeared in his films!

I guarantee you a laugh a page!
  Chris_V | Jun 9, 2009 |
i received this as a birthday gift and honestly was a little leary. i am not a huge john waters fan. but after starting the book-- i want to see all his movies now.
  jeremy911 | Jan 9, 2006 |
To me, bad taste is what entertainment is all about.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,716,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible