The Terracotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri

The Terracotta Dog (1996)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (2)

The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The first two titles in the Montalbano series, with many of the same characters appearing in both.
    Blood Rain by Michael Dibdin (browner56)
    browner56: Typical examples of two excellent Italian detective series (Camilleri's Salvo Montalbano and Dibdin's Aurelio Zen); both books are set in Sicily and have Mafia-related themes.

English (25)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
Fans of Salvu Montalbano, the Sicilian detective, will enjoy this ramble through the last fifty years of Sicilian history and politics, which is what happens as the crime investigations progress. An absurd 'practical joke' leads into a discovery of an arms cache, which in turns leads to a more sinister discovery.

In some ways the story flags after the first two incidents, as the story is not about them; they are merely the antipasti, if you like, since the book is heavily laden with Montalbano's favourite dishes. The real story is full of the convolutions one might expect of a good crime story, with red herrings and misdirection accompanying the road to the denouement.

The story includes a large helping of the relationships between the various charcters at the police station, appearances by both official and unofficial girlfriends, and a lot of sitting with old men listening to their memories. It is, in a nutshell, a complete picture of Montalbano at his most natural. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
With this second book in the series now under my belt, I admit I am growing rather fond of Montalbano as a character, even if I cringe at some of the food items he finds so divine to indulge in. I am not quite the seafood connoisseur that he is, although I am starting to wonder when vegetables will start to be mentioned. I find the cases he becomes embroiled with, as well as his relationship with his various underlings and the women in his life make for a nice escape from day-to-day reality for me. With this story, it was the uncovered 50 year old mystery begging to be solved that really captured my attention and made it such an enjoyable read for me. The whole locked room cave idea and the symbolic references that needed to be deciphered..... that is my kind of story! A good puzzle to noodle over between spurts of listening and I really liked the ending to this one. Looks like I will be extending my literary stay on Sicily a little longer as I have now started listening to book three in the series, The Snack Thief. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 6, 2014 |
This second Inspector Montalbano mystery is pleasantly convoluted -- in addition to Mafia gun-smuggling, the shooting of known fugitive only hours after his arrest, Montalbano is also trying to solve a 50-year-old murder of two young lovers.

I love the way Montalbano loves his food & his walks on the beach, his attempts to focus on his girlfriend Livia when his mind in on a case, his colleagues at the station... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 23, 2014 |
The Terracotta Dog is the second novel in the Inspector Montalbano series by author Andrea Camilleri. A high ranking criminal in the Mafia contacts Montalbano to say he wishes to turn himself in to avoid being killed. Between them make it look like it was a police raid. In return for his help the gangster informs Montalbano of a cave where the Mafia stores weapons. While investigating Montalbano uncovers the bodies of a man and a women in the cave who appear to have been shot 50 years go. Instead of investigating the current Mafia case Montalbano goes against orders and investigates the cold case.

I enjoyed this book more than the first one. The English translation has improved making it a much better read in English, although there are still some improvements that could be made in the grammar. Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 27, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Aug 11, 2013 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aamusarastuksesta päätellen luvassa oli aivan ilmeisesti omituinen päivä, toisin sanoen välillä auringon porotusta, välillä jääkylmiä sadekuuroja ja mausteena vielä äkillisiä tuulenpuuskia.
To judge from the entrance the dawn was making, it promised to be a very iffy day-that is, blasts of angry sunlight one minute, fits of freezing rain the next, all of it seasoned with sudden gusts of wind-one of those days when someone who is sensitive to abrupt shifts in weather and suffers them in his blood and brain is likely to change opinion and direction continuously, like those sheets of tin, cut in the shape of banners and roosters, that spin every which way on rooftops with each new puff of wind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004723, Paperback)

Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano has garnered millions of fans worldwide with his sardonic take on Sicilian life. Montalbano's latest case begins with a mysterious têtê à têtê with a Mafioso, some inexplicably abandoned loot from a supermarket heist, and dying words that lead him to an illegal arms cache in a mountain cave. There, the inspector finds two young lovers, dead for fifty years and still embracing, watched over by a life-sized terra-cotta dog. Montalbano's passion to solve this old crime takes him on a journey through Sicily's past and into one family's darkest secrets. With sly wit and a keen understanding of human nature, Montalbano is a detective whose earthiness, compassion, and imagination make him totally irresistable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:01 -0400)

Montalbano's latest case begins with a mysterious tete a tete with a Mafioso, some inexplicably abandoned loot from a supermarket heist, and dying words that lead him to an illegal arms cache in a mountain cave. There, the inspector finds two young lovers, dead for fifty years and still embracing, watched over by a life-sized terra-cotta dog. Montalbano's passion to solve this old crime takes him on a journey through Sicily's past and into one family's darkest secrets.… (more)

43 wanted7 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible