The Terracotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri

The Terracotta Dog (1996)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (2)

1,142None7,124 (3.8)143
    The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The first two titles in the Montalbano series, with many of the same characters appearing in both.
    Blood Rain by Michael Dibdin (browner56)
    browner56: Typical examples of two excellent Italian detective series (Camilleri's Salvo Montalbano and Dibdin's Aurelio Zen); both books are set in Sicily and have Mafia-related themes.

English (22)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
The Terracotta Dog is the second novel in the Inspector Montalbano series by author Andrea Camilleri. A high ranking criminal in the Mafia contacts Montalbano to say he wishes to turn himself in to avoid being killed. Between them make it look like it was a police raid. In return for his help the gangster informs Montalbano of a cave where the Mafia stores weapons. While investigating Montalbano uncovers the bodies of a man and a women in the cave who appear to have been shot 50 years go. Instead of investigating the current Mafia case Montalbano goes against orders and investigates the cold case.

I enjoyed this book more than the first one. The English translation has improved making it a much better read in English, although there are still some improvements that could be made in the grammar. Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 27, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Aug 11, 2013 |
Camillleri's second Montalbano novel entranced me. I appreciate the social and political commentary woven through these stories but what I really enjoyed in this one was the descriptions of Sicilian cooking. I wanted to put the book down and go cook several times, but the narrative and characters carried me along. Still, I think I'm cooking Italian tonight... ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Yeaaaaah... I didn't enjoy this very much. It was entertaining and Montalbano is fun to watch, but I found myself quite irritable the whole way through. In fact, the episode filmed around this was much more enjoyable. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
A mafia figure wanted for three murders selects Inspector Montalbano to arrest him. About the same time the staged arrest is taking place, a delivery truck arrives early to a convenience store, but the store is robbed of the shipment overnight. When officials search a cave, Montalbano finds another cave behind it with two long dead corpses arranged in what appears to be a ritualistic fashion with a terracotta dog watching over them. I listened to the audio version narrated by Grover Gardner. Although I had trouble staying focused when I was distracted by other things, it was a complex mystery that kept me wanting to know more about the distant mystery. I'm not a huge fan of mafia involvement or espionage in my novels, but this one had enough in the historical mystery to keep my attention. I would prefer for the characters to clean up their language a bit and for there to be less graphic description of some things, but all in all this was an entertaining audio book. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 9, 2013 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aamusarastuksesta päätellen luvassa oli aivan ilmeisesti omituinen päivä, toisin sanoen välillä auringon porotusta, välillä jääkylmiä sadekuuroja ja mausteena vielä äkillisiä tuulenpuuskia.
To judge from the entrance the dawn was making, it promised to be a very iffy day-that is, blasts of angry sunlight one minute, fits of freezing rain the next, all of it seasoned with sudden gusts of wind-one of those days when someone who is sensitive to abrupt shifts in weather and suffers them in his blood and brain is likely to change opinion and direction continuously, like those sheets of tin, cut in the shape of banners and roosters, that spin every which way on rooftops with each new puff of wind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004723, Paperback)

Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano has garnered millions of fans worldwide with his sardonic take on Sicilian life. Montalbano's latest case begins with a mysterious têtê à têtê with a Mafioso, some inexplicably abandoned loot from a supermarket heist, and dying words that lead him to an illegal arms cache in a mountain cave. There, the inspector finds two young lovers, dead for fifty years and still embracing, watched over by a life-sized terra-cotta dog. Montalbano's passion to solve this old crime takes him on a journey through Sicily's past and into one family's darkest secrets. With sly wit and a keen understanding of human nature, Montalbano is a detective whose earthiness, compassion, and imagination make him totally irresistable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:01 -0400)

Montalbano's latest case begins with a mysterious tete a tete with a Mafioso, some inexplicably abandoned loot from a supermarket heist, and dying words that lead him to an illegal arms cache in a mountain cave. There, the inspector finds two young lovers, dead for fifty years and still embracing, watched over by a life-sized terra-cotta dog. Montalbano's passion to solve this old crime takes him on a journey through Sicily's past and into one family's darkest secrets.… (more)

43 wanted7 pay7 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible