Zenith by Julie Bertagna

lkmuir | Dec 9, 2015 |
Overall I enjoyed the story, but I felt like Bertagna tried to cram too much and too many characters in the story, and it didn't hang together as well as Exodus. Which is too bad, because I loved Exodus and was looking forward to reading this one. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
Didn't hold my interest the way the first one did. This sort of plods along without any big surprises or reveals along that way (and things that are supposed to be big surprises are telegraphed long in advance). There's very little sense that anyone's situation is as bad as it is--the words say it but the tone is ho-hum. In several places there are too-clever elements thrown in, like the discovery of a Tupperware box ("my great-grandmother used to have one of these; it keeps things fresh"), which pulled me out of the story due to my eyes rolling pretty far from the page.

There's a third book coming. I'll probably read it because I'm a completest that way, but I don't really care that much what happens to any of these characters. (Note: if you're going to read this anyway, try to keep details from the first fresh in your brain, because there's not a lot of recap here.) ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
I really enjoyed Exodus, the first book in this series about a world where the ice caps have melted, much of the world has been flooded, and refugees seek safety and shelter as best that they can, while the wealthy live in amazing ‘sky cities’. I was more disappointed by this second book in which Mara leads a band of refugees north; Fox stays behind under the sky city, hoping to change the world in which he once lived; and we encounter Tuck, who lives in a flotilla of boats and has rarely if ever set foot on land. Some of the details are interesting, but I wasn’t captivated by the plot to anywhere near the same extent as I was with the first book. I suppose like any trilogy judgment needs to wait until after the third and final book, but I thought it didn't have the depth (or novelty) of the first book and wasn't as gripping plot-wise. ( )
  seekingflight | Jul 1, 2012 |
Sequel to Exodus. Mara has left the floating city of New Mungo with a cargo ship full of refugees, and Fox has stayed behind to try to change his grandfather's government. Mara believes in the idea that there is land in the far north, and the ship is pointed in that direction. On the way, the ship accidentally destroys part of another floating city, Pomperoy, and the people there sail north, tracking the ship and plotting revenge. Tuck is a boy in Pomperoy whose mother was killed in the accident, and though he has much reason for revenge, he is more interested in the land -- something he has never seen before. Can those who have only known water make a life on the land, and will the violent people of Greenland allow them to stay and live in peace? The first book is stronger in plot and depth, but I have a feeling the events of the second are setting up an amazing conclusion to this trilogy. Good apocalyptic flooded world sci-fi: some battle scenes and more mature themes. For 7th grade and up, ( )
  KarenBall | Sep 23, 2011 |
"What lasts, what changes, what survives?"
    The Play of Gilgamesh, by Edwin Morgan, adapted from the world's oldest surviving poem

"Hurt not the earth, nor the sea, nor the trees"     Revelation 7:3
In memory of two inspirational women: Miriam Hodgson and Jan Mark.
Out on the world’s ocean, night is a black warhorse.

The thrilling sequel to internationally acclaimed Exodus.

In this compelling continuation of Julie Bertagna’s timely trilogy, the search for a future remains a terrifying fight for survival. Sixteen-year-old Mara and her ship of refugees are tracking the North Star in search of land in the mountains of Greenland to call home. A Gypsea boy named Tuck, orphaned when Mara’s ship plows through his floating city, becomes inextricably linked to their fate. Meanwhile, back in the drowned ruins at the feet of the towering sky city, Fox begins his battle with the cruel, corrupt rulers of the New World. Forced to make their own new beginnings in a savage world, three teens must struggle to make sense of the past, overcome the harsh dangers of the present, and build a future worth living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

After finding that New Mungo is not the refuge they sought, Mara, leaving Fox behind, again sets out to sea with a ship full of refugees and, with the help of the "Gipsea" boy Tuck, tries to find land at the top of the world that will be safe from storms and rising water.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible