A Vanished World by Roman Vishniac

A Vanished World

by Roman Vishniac (Author and Photographer)

Other authors: Elie Wiesel (Foreword)

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
Acquired 2016b
  jgsgblib | May 27, 2018 |
Gli ebrei di Trieste erano 6.000. Sono 600. I triestini furono tra i più solerti nelle segnalazioni alle autorità dopo l'approvazione delle leggi razziali del '38.

L'anno scorso, all'ingresso del Museo della Comunità ebraica di Trieste nella bellissima via del Monte fui accolto da un suadentissimo levantinissimo sguardo di un giovane che mi dava la buonasera con la sua suadentissima voce... E Samuele che prende l'autobus numero 33 mi guarda sempre intimorito da sotto la sua kippah...(so il suo nome perché l'ho sentito chiamare da un suo amico) L'occhio dell'uomo in copertina è LO STESSO del rigattiere che mi vendeva i libri delle superiori nella zona del ghetto (quello che è rimasto dopo lo sventramento fascista)...
Guardare tutti questi sguardi in queste splendide foto mi ha fatto pensare a loro, gli ebrei della mia vita nella mia città. ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
NO OF PAGES: 180 SUB CAT I: European Jews SUB CAT II: Holocaust SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Roman Vishniac, a survivor of the holocaust, somehow preserved pre-holocaust black-and-white photos of his family and community, although he was unable to save them. During his journeys he took over sixteen thousand photographs. All but two thousand were confiscated and, presumably, destroyed. This book is all that is left - a memory of a more innocent time. It contains less than ten percent of the photographs in my possession, but I hope it enables the reader to envision a time and place that are worthy of remembering.NOTES: SUBTITLE: With a foreword by Elie Wiesel
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
Look at these images, and weep. And then be committed to a life of justice and goodness towards all. ( )
  readawayjay | Feb 11, 2011 |

Vishniac, RomanAuthor and Photographerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baruch, GertrudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kroeber, BurkhartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374520232, Paperback)

Roman Vishniac's A Vanished World is an extraordinary record of the lives of German and Eastern European Jews in the years immediately preceding the Holocaust. Vishniac, a Russian Jew, began to take photographs of village life during World War I, when Russian Jews who lived near the front were accused of being German spies and were deported to Siberia. He later moved to Germany, where he witnessed the horrible events of Kristallnacht and the anti-Jewish legislation that allowed Hitler to declare his enemies stateless and therefore unworthy of international protection. As we study Vishniac's photographs--a surviving fraction of the more than 16,000 he took--we are aware that we are seeing the faces of those soon to die, witnessing a world that has all but perished. Yet that world, of shops and schools, of busy streets and quiet farms, remains with us if only as a ghostly memory, thanks in part to Vishniac's compassionate eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,151,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible