Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka: The Operation…

Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka: The Operation Reinhard Death Camps (original 1987; edition 1999)

by Yitzhak Arad

Member:fadetheory
Title:Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka: The Operation Reinhard Death Camps
Authors:Yitzhak Arad
Info:Indiana University Press (1999), Paperback
Tags:History, Holocaust

Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka: The Operation Reinhard Death Camps by Yitzhak Arad (1987)

Highly praised in all reviews, and deservedly so, Arad's book is notable both for its intercalation of primary documents into his narrative and for his condemnations of Western Powers, the Poles, and the Armia Krajowa for their indifference to and oftentimes active collusion in operations of Poland's ghettos and death camps. It virtually concludes with a record of the Poles returning to the grounds of Treblinka in November 1945 to dig in the ground at the cremated remains of hundreds of thousands of Jews, madly looking for concealed diamonds and gold.

A good introduction, then, for scholars (and probably intelligent non-scholars) introducing themselves to Holocaust scholarship. ( )
  karl.steel | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book changed my entire view of the Holocaust. Until I read it, I was only really familiar with Auschwitz-Birkenau, which was both a labor and an extermination camp. While that was horrible enough, I also knew that some folks survived, which made things seem somehow bearable. However, these three camps were completely extermination camps. Except for a few people needed to do things like retrieve gold from teeth, everyone who was shipped to these camps was gassed. The brutal mechanization and utter unsurvivability of the system finally penetrated my brain. I can't recommend this book enough to anyone not yet aware of the horror of this time. ( )
  aulsmith | Sep 15, 2010 |

"... Mr. Arad reports as a controlled and effective witness for the prosecution.... Mr. Arad’s book, with its abundance of horrifying detail, reminds us of how far we have to go."—New York Times Book Review

"... some of the most gripping chapters I have ever read.... the authentic, exhaustive, definitive account of the least known death camps of the Nazi era." —Raul Hilberg

Arad, historian and principal prosecution witness at the Israeli trial of John Demjanjuk (accused of being Treblinka’s infamous "Ivan the Terrible"), uses primary materials to reveal the complete story of these Nazi death camps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Arad, historian and principal prosecution witness at the Israeli trial of John Demjanjuk (accused of being Treblinka's infamous "Ivan the Terrible"), uses primary materials to reveal the complete story of these Nazi death camps.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,845,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible