dismiss

The science fiction hall of fame by Robert…

The science fiction hall of fame (original 1970; edition 2005)

by Robert Silverberg (Editor)

The book you now hold contains twenty-six of the greatest science fiction stories ever written. Robert Heinlein in "The Roads Must Roll" describes an industrial civilization of the future caught up in the deadly flaws of its own complexity. "Country of the Kind," by Damon Knight, is a frightening portrayal of biological mutation. "Nightfall," by Isaac Asimov, one of the greatest stories in the science fiction field, imagines a planet where the sun sets only once every millennium and is a chilling study in mass psychology.… (more)
Member:mskarbiniks
Title:The science fiction hall of fame
Authors:Robert Silverberg
Info:New York : Orb, 2005-.
Tags:scifi

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One: The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of All Time by Robert Silverberg (Editor) (1970)

"Twilight," by John W. Campbell (1934): 6.75
- interesting, for an early sci-fi, to even feel like it needs this narrative conceit of the modern day hitchhiker and relaying the story, when this kind of Olaf-Stapleton-like, epic, world-surveying voice is common. Therefore, the former is clearly pointless, maybe even to Campbell, who really has no idea what to do with it (or how to end it). But the big-picture, Götterdämmerung human narrative is otherwise moderately interesting, and not just because it prefigured Bradbury in its robots and/or machines continuing human-designed work long after humans or the need to exist.

"The Roads Must Roll," by Robert Heinlein (1940): 9
- Here it is, CS Lewis, you Ewiggestriger, watch and learn. This is how you do conservative sf. The piece: revolutionary movement, brewed up within labor circles, try and take over an Essential Industry (the sfnal element here, a massive highway system [decade before Eisenhower] that is, however, car-less and instead simply propelling humans themselves), only to be put down by a very competent engineer cum bureaucrat who restores order. For what could be quite dull material (much is literally about rotors and the mechanics of the roads themselves), the pacing is expert. Against my better judgment, I was fairly genuinely thrust along after the initial accident and following Gaines piecing together what had happened. I’ve not read much Heinlein, and when I do see him mentioned, it is often in the context of his prose, or his writerliness, esp. in relation to contemporaries (and this is much earlier than much of what I’ve been reading recently, without showing it). And I wouldn’t say it approaches beauty, but it seems a perfect, genre-specific blending of narritivization and smooth tech-speak, a twosome I’ve seen writers have mostly felicity at one or the other. I see why, for a certain type of sf reader, this is a model worth aping. The conservative is there though, and kind of to-be-expected with this type of man at this type of time, to be honest. But, more than the social conservatism of many contemporary sf reactionaries, it’s the conservatism of the engineer—the conservatism of those who wouldn’t see it as such. As a character says, in sum, “men fail; machines don’t.” A golden age maxim if I’ve ever heard one.
1 vote Ebenmaessiger | Oct 6, 2019 |

Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 576
Format: Trade paperback

Synopsis:

A collection of short stories voted by members of the Science Fiction Authors Guild (or something or other like that) as the best of. A popularity contest of stories from the 30's to the 60's. No author had more than one story and the book was presented chronologically, so we as the readers could see how things progressed storywise in 30 years.

My Thoughts:

Danielle from Books, Vertigo and Tea reviewed this recently and brought it to my attention. What a fantastic read.

First off, this was originally published back in 1970, I believe. It was released again in 2005 and then just released digitally in 2018. Obviously not a new book. I read this at lunch beginning sometime in March and just finished it this past week. Short stories really lend themselves to no pressure reading and going at a slow pace. Sometimes you need that in a busy, hectic book life like mine.

I had read over ½ of these 26 stories, as growing up in the 80's and addicted to SF meant I was familiar with almost all of these authors, even if just by name. This was good stuff! If you've never read Vintage SF, this is a good place to start. Even if you don't like every story (and I didn't like every one either), you'll get the flavor of what those years produced and if an author strikes your fancy, you can then go on and investigate on your own.

In many ways, I think that Science Fiction shines through the short story medium. Ideas are presented and there is no extraneous fluff or junk to ruin it. And if your imagination isn't up to snuff to get you excited about ideas, then you probably shouldn't be reading SF in the first place.

I bought this used in trade paperback through Amazon but I think the stories are good enough that I'm going to have to put the hardcover on my wishlist. In terms of Short Story Collections, this falls squarely between Asimov's Complete Stories Vol 1 and Asimov's Complete Stories Vol 2. I do plan on buying, in used trade paperback again, Volumes 2 & 3, which are the best novella's of that time period. Hopefully they are as good as these stories.

★★★★★ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | May 14, 2018 |
What can I say. Well chosen.

There are a couple that I would have replaced with other stories but most were true gems. I have forgotten how good the John W Campbell and the Lester del Rey stories were. A surprise was "The Weapon Shop" by A. E. van Vogt. I did not know it was a short story before he turned it into a novel. It was stronger in the short version.

These early stories were very good. ( )
  ikeman100 | Apr 29, 2018 |
This is an absolute classic must-have collection. Sort of like those "all the classical music you'll ever need" collections you used to see advertised on TV. Of course, you'l always need more, but start here. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 17, 2016 |
I've marked this as 2015 coming off my owned shelves" but I lied. I can't bear to part with it. This was my second read through the whole book, my umpteenth read of some of the selections.... and it's just such a terrific collection of the foundation classics that every well-read fan of SF should go through this.

Nightfall
Cold Equations
It's a *Good* Life
Roads Must Roll

etc. etc.

Maybe all the stories don't hold up so well - but they are wonderful examples of the history of the genre and I, personally, enjoyed almost all of them very much. And will again some day." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

It's A Good Life by Jerome Bixby

Surface Tension by James Blish

The Quest For Saint Aquin [Short story] by Anthony Boucher

Mars Is Heaven! by Ray Bradbury

Jarvis stretched himself as luxuriously as he could in the cramped general quarters of the Ares.
Contains 26 stories. If yours does not, please don't combine it with this work.

26 Stories:

Fondly Fahrenheit - Alfred Bester
The Country of the Kind - Damon Knight
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
A Rose for Ecclesiastes - Roger Zelazny

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,652,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible