Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers

Strong Poison (original 1930; edition 1985)

by Dorothy L. Sayers, Christianna Brand (Introduction)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:Strong Poison
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers (Author)
Other authors:Christianna Brand (Introduction)
Info:Bantam Books (1985), Hardcover, 212 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library, Read
Tags:fiction

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (1930)

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (sandykaypax)
    Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (aulsmith)
    Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939 by Virginia Nicholson (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: This explains much about Harriet's predicament that I didn't previously understand.

English (59)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (64)
Back to the beginning of the Wimsey-Vane series, and I enjoyed this one as much as Busman's Honeymoon. Good mystery, witty characters ... a real delight. ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
From the public gallery Lord Peter Wimsey falls in love with Harriet Vane, the accused in a murder trial, and a complete stranger to him. When the jury is not able to come to a decision, a new trial is ordered thus allowing Wimsey one month to come up with the evidence that will prove her innocence - of which he is certain. Lord Peter has a couple of advantages as a sleuth: his great wealth allows him to hire help without limitation; and probably in deference to his aristocratic status, he is granted many liberties. His excuse for questioning the victim's father: "I know Miss Vane. In fact I like her very much, don't you know." This comes after only one brief meeting with her! I love the golden age mysteries especially those with Lord Peter Wimsey, one of my favourite characters. This was a particularly fun story from Sayers. ( )
  VivienneR | Apr 6, 2015 |
My first Lord Peter Wimsey mystery! The characters and setting details are delightful. The actual mystery was my least-favorite part, though I appreciated that much of the actual sleuthing was done by the spinsters from "the Cattery."

I look forward to reading more of the series...
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A Lord Peter Whimsey mystery. Good minor characters, but too talky for me, plus unrealistic love story. Not really my cup of tea. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers is a milestone in her Lord Peter Wimsey series as in this volume he meets Harriet Vane and declares her to be his future wife. The fact that she is currently on trial for murder holds no sway with Lord Peter as he is 100 percent convinced of her innocence. In fact, when the jury is unable to come to a verdict, he steps in and offers to aid her defense team so that she can be cleared of all charges.

Knowing Lord Peter from the previous books, the reader enters the story already knowing the outcome so the fun of this book is learning who the guilty party is, and how the deed was done. Enlisting the help of familiar characters like Bunter, Miss Climson and D.C. Parker, Lord Peter is able to put the pieces of this mystery together, and although the solution proved to be rather straight-forward, this story was still great fun and seeing Lord Peter struck with cupids’ arrow only added to my enjoyment of the book.

I am looking forward to continuing on with the series as I suspect the intelligent and independent Harriet Vane is going to be a great addition to the series and make an excellent foil for Lord Peter. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 6, 2014 |

George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, PaavoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal,MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were crimson roses on the bench; they looked like splashes of blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043508, Mass Market Paperback)

Mystery novelist Harriet Vane knew all about poisons, and when her fiancÉ died in the manner prescribed in one of her books, a jury of her peers had a hangman's noose in mind. But Lord Peter Wimsey was determined to find her innocent--as determined as he was to make her his wife.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

Dashing detective Lord Peter Wimsey is caught up in the murder trial of mystery writer Harriet Vane. Her fiance has died of poisoning exactly as described in one of Harriet's novels -- so naturally she is the prime suspect. As Peter looks on, he not only falls in love with the accused but eagerly helps with Harriet's defense when the first trial ends in a hung jury. Will she be convicted and executed for the crime, or can he save her life and win her hand in marriage?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible