The Work at Home Balancing Act: The…

The Work at Home Balancing Act: The Professional Resource Guide for…

by Sandy Anderson

711,138,814NoneNone

From Booklist
Anderson's book begins in the same fashion as many other how-to-work-at-home manuals. She touts the joys of solo labor, detailing the numbers and figuring out the tasks and responsibilities. If these were Anderson's only contributions to the "genre," then the recommendation would be to read all the others and miss this one. Happily, that's not the case. Where this author adds plenty of value to the wannabe home workers' decision is primarily in her suggestions for coping strategies: how to manage kids with hired help, or what are the best ways to deal with isolation, motivation, and stress. Topics include the fanciful as well as the commonplace; new puppies, for instance, are immediately enrolled in obedience school, while templates are advised for those unorganized souls. Lists upon lists and tips from actual home workers will enable start-ups to succeed--along with 40 million colleagues. Barbara Jacobs

Telecommuting Review, September, 1998
The special benefit of Anderson's book is the strong emphasis on those balance issues: Coping Strategies--Keys to Creating Balance.

11 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
Best Book for Work-at-Home Moms *AND* Dads!, September 20, 1999
Reviewer: A reader
This book should be the foundation of everyone's work-at-home resource library. My wife bought it for me so that I could understand the true "ins and outs" of what's involved in working from home with kids under foot. (My wife has been telecommuting from home on a part-time basis for about two years, and I must admit, I've been less than supportive.) Recently, I decided to make the plunge to start a home business and take on a good portion of the child care responsibilities. We searched high and low for resources that could help. "The Work at Home Balancing Act" was the *only* book we found that addresses ALL the issues and challenges of working at home from both a MALE and FEMALE perspective. It's been our lifesaver because we can both relate to it, and it teaches us how to communicate about complicated issues that arise when you work from home. It's written in a reader-friendly style with great quotes and stories from men and women--very realistic and motivational. Lots of nuts and bolts strategies--everything you need to know to set up and run a successful home business or telecommuting arrangement, and then some!

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
Help for Parents Working At Home, December 21, 1998
Reviewer: B. Jaeger (California) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Dr. Anderson's extensive research interviewing work-at-home parents is a must for anyone with children and the desire to work from home. You get tried and true, both common sense and creative, ideas from the many parents who have "been there, done that" and know what works for dealing with children of all ages. It also has an excellent chapter on issues for couples. You will find yourself among kindred spirits. Easy to read, encouraging and engaging, this book is excellent! Barrie Jaeger, Ph.D.

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
A Great Resource for all Work-at-Home Professsionals, October 23, 1998
Reviewer: A reader
Sandy Anderson addresses the key issues facing people who want to work at home or are currently engaged in enterprise at home. For those looking for a home career, Anderson's chapter on choosing the right business is very informative and guides people through the most difficult part of starting a business-"choosing the right one for yourself." Plus, her insights on managing a household along with a home business are worth re-reading several times. Finally, Anderson's interviews with many different types of homeworkers gives the reader a great insight into the TRUE benefits and challenges of working at home. Tina Egge Family@Work Editor, Work@Home Magazine

This book is the work-at-home Bible!, September 30, 1998
Reviewer: A reader
The future of work for many of us will be in our home--and we need to prepare for it. This book is the Bible for what it will be like, what we need to think about, and how work at home may be a part of our future.

Invaluable, September 15, 1998
Reviewer: A reader
It's not easy trying to stay focused and motivated while working at home. Sandy Anderson's book provides the necessary tools to not only stay focused and motivated, but to maintain your sanity too.

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
I keep returning to this book!, September 11, 1998
Reviewer: Ralene Friend (ralene@rfriend.com) (California, United States) - See all my reviews
I wrote a review on this book earlier. I'm adding additional comments because I'm finding Anderson's book to be an ongoing resource. I've worked at home for some time now -- and it's great to find a book that is useful for rejuvenation and for stimulating my thinking when I get "stuck". Here's how it worked for me this week. At the beginning of this week, I found myself lacking motivation -- "in a funk" you might say. As I sat in my stuck-ness, I recalled Anderson's chapter on motivation. SO I picked up her book, found a corner to sit in and worked through her suggestions for motivating yourself. It worked! I used her ideas to develop my own motivation list. Long story short, I not only had a very productive day, but a very productive week followed! This book is proving to be one of those books that I keep close at hand for my own personal growth. Once again -- I highly recommend Anderson's book for new and old "work-at-homers!
  Fortyplus | Feb 19, 2007 |

Working at home allows you to take control of your life, be your own boss, and make your own hours--and it represents a major lifestyle change that you need to be prepared for if you're going to succeed. This unique book, written by a successful home worker and based on extensive interviews with more than one hundred people who work at home, will help you determine your suitability for working at home, choose a fitting line of work, and create a plan for making a smooth transition. You'll learn how to maximize your work productivity and add quality time to your personal life by: communicating your needs to family, friends, and clients, establishing boundaries, managing family and household responsibilities, dealing with isolation, a lack of motivation, and self-imposed stress, keeping yourself on track, organizing your time and space, achieving a successful business start-up or telecommuting arrangement, managing and growing your home business.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,806,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible