Dying for Chocolate (Goldy Culinary…

Dying for Chocolate (Goldy Culinary Mysteries, Book 2) (edition 1993)

by Diane Mott Davidson

Member:janimar
Title:Dying for Chocolate (Goldy Culinary Mysteries, Book 2)
Authors:Diane Mott Davidson
Info:Crimeline (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:mystery, female sleuth

Dying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson

This book had me at the word chocolate. Goldy and her son are presently living with the Farquhars so she can be a live in cook for them. This came about because the Jerk (Goldy's ex) kept driving by her house and it scared her. Mrs. Farquhar is Goldy's best friend's sister. Julian Teller is introduced in this book. Since I am familiar with this series, I know that Julian turns out be a well liked teen, but he certainly got a shaky start in this book.
Goldy witnesses her psychologist boyfriend die in front of her in a tragic accident. Goldie wonders if it was an accident. This mystery, along with another death, makes this book a great read.
As always, the description of the food will make your mouth water. I have tried 3 or 4 recipes in this book and all have been wonderful. ( )
  travelgal | Feb 9, 2018 |
From the Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery series, live-in country club chef, Goldy Bear, balances love, parenting, cooking, and solving murders in her spare time.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 8, 2017 |
As mystery stories go, the villain wasn't predictable but possibly could have been guessed, while the reason and back story never could have. My issue really was that Goldy never seemed to do that much investigating. It was more prompting every once in awhile from Tom to ask questions, and she had to be there anyway, sometimes she would overhear stuff, other times she would be in the right place at the right time, and even still the wrong place at the wrong time. She didn't act like a detective besides perhaps one to two incidents, but then didn't carry them much farther other than to inform authorities higher up. Still, the mystery lasted but a week or so and there was plenty of action to keep one reading.

The cooking details, since she is a busy caterer, is of course a primary focus of the book. I was delighted to find so many generous recipes throughout, and am sure to try some, especially the Anniversary Hamburgers. I wish she had put the recipe for the Chocolate cake she made up, but since it included fillings of actual chocolate mouse and an outer painting of tempered chocolate, it sounds pretty complicated anyway. More's the pity.

Tom Schultz just doesn't seem like a desirable leading man to me. He seems sweet but from this book alone I didn't glimpse that much personality, attraction, or mystique. The unfortunate Phillip seemed a bit more interesting for the short scenes he had, just because of the looks, his work, and his dialogue dished out more human quirks than ol' Toms. Arch seemed like a typical child with a mouth when things get stressed but not a bad seed; the general was especially funny in his unusual and quirky ways. The abusive ex seemed to be portrayed realistically enough. He didn't get tons of time but enough to make the points needed.

Even if this ones mystery fell a bit flat in its execution, and the method of death was a tad unrealistic and far-fetched, I still greatly enjoyed the story. Goldy isn't a humorous fun type of character, but she's an interesting, stressed one. There's not much of a romantic involvement to speak of, despite claims that it's supposed to be so (just no spark anyway to make that count). The bizarre situations among the various catered parties helped create the book, especially when it surrounded the main whodunnit sort of characters that helped keep this story alive. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Book Description Goldy Bear is the bright, opinionated, wildly inventive caterer whose personal life is a recipe for disaster, with bills taking a bite out of her budget and her abusive ex-husband making tasteless threats. Determined to take control, Goldy moves her business to the ritzy Aspen Meadow Country Club. Soon she’s preparing decadent dinners and posh society picnics—and enjoying the favors of Philip Miller, a handsome local shrink, and Tom Schulz, her more-than-friendly neighborhood cop. Until, that is, the dishy doctor drives his BMW into an oncoming bus. Convinced that Philip’s bizarre death was no accident, Goldy begins to sift through the dead doc’s unpalatable secrets. But this case is seasoned with unexpected danger and even more unexpected revelations—the kind that could get a caterer killed.   Praise for Diane Mott Davidson and Dying for Chocolate   “A classic whodunit . . . the perfect book for food lovers.”—New York Daily News   “You don’t have to be a cook or a mystery fan to love Diane Mott Davidson’s books.”—The San Diego Union-Tribune   “A cross between Mary Higgins Clark and Betty Crocker.”—The Baltimore Sun   My Review If you are looking for something light to read that is fun and entertaining then, I suggest that you read Dying For Chocolate. It was a very quick read but kept me guessing until the end. I will definitely be picking up another Diane Mott Davidson book when the thrillers get too heavy! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 3, 2016 |
My first culinary cozy, and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Goldy's experience as a caterer made for an interesting backdrop, and her past history with an abusive ex-husband made for a darker and ultimately more interesting reading experience. A healthy dose of humor also helped keep this story from becoming overwhelmingly sweet.

I'm not a connoisseur of culinary fiction (pun definitely intended!), but I understand why this subgenre is so popular. The descriptions of the food are delectable and sensuous, and if I were to read another book in this series, it would have a lot to do with the culinary elements.

There's a strong cast of secondary characters that make for an interesting mystery with plenty of red herrings to keep you guessing till the end. And as you might expect from this type of novel, there are small hints of romance, but not many.

It's a far cry from my usual reading selections, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It would make a good read for just about anyone, but it also makes for a good introductory title for anyone who's looking to try a cozy mystery.

Readalikes:

Hannah Swensen series - Joanne Fluke. Another cozy culinary mystery series with quirky characters and delicious recipes, although the Hannah Swensen novels are lighter in tone.

China Bayles series - Susan Wittig Albert. Both series feature female amateur detectives who investigate and solve mysteries with the help of their law enforcement significant other. China Bayles is an ex-lawyer and the proprietor of an herb shop.

Coffeehouse series - Cleo Coyle. Another cozy mystery series based in the food industry, with engaging female protagonists, satisfying plots, and quirky secondary characters. ( )
  coloradogirl14 | May 28, 2014 |

Diane Mott Davidsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Connor, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
   "I wouldn't ask too much of her," I ventured.
"You can't repeat the past."
   "Can't repeat the past?" he cried
incredulously. "Why of course you can!"

—F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
To my parents,
Admiral and Mrs. William Mott
Brunch is a killer.

The Caterer
Meet Goldy Bear: a bright, opinionated, wildly inventive caterer whose personal life has become a recipe for disaster. She's got an abusive ex-husband who's into making tasteless threats, a rash of mounting bills that are taking a huge bite out of her budget, and two enticing men knocking on her door.

The Dish

Now determined to take control of her life, Goldy moves her business and her son to ritzy Aspen Meadow Country Club, where she accepts a job as a live-in cook. But just as she's beginning to think she's got it made--catering decadent dinners and posh society picnics and enjoying the favors of Philip Miller, a handsome local shrink, and Tom Shulz, her more-than-friendly neighborhood cop--the dishy doctor inexplicably drives his BMW into an oncoming bus.

The Unsavory Killer

Convinced that Philip's bizarre death was no accident, Goldy decides to do a little investigating of her own. But sifting through the unpalatable secrets of the dead doc's life will toss her into a case seasoned with unexpected danger and even more unexpected revelations--the kind that could get a caterer and the son she loves. . .killed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553560247, Mass Market Paperback)

The Caterer

Meet Goldy Bear: a bright, opinionated, wildly inventive caterer whose  personal life has become a recipe for disaster. She's got  an abusive ex-husband who's into making tasteless threats, a rash of mounting bills that are taking a huge bite out of her budget, and two enticing  men knocking on her door.

The Dish

Now determined to take control of her life, Goldy  moves her business and her son to ritzy Aspen  Meadow Country Club, where she accepts a job as a  live-in cook. But just as she's beginning to think  she's got it made--catering decadent dinners and  posh society picnics and enjoying the favors of  Philip Miller, a handsome local shrink, and Tom Shulz,  her more-than-friendly neighborhood cop--the  dishy doctor inexplicably drives his  BMW into an oncoming bus.

The Unsavory  Killer

Convinced that Philip's bizarre  death was no accident, Goldy decides to do a little  investigating of her own. But sifting through the  unpalatable secrets of the dead doc's life will  toss her into a case seasoned with unexpected danger  and even more unexpected revelations--the kind that could get a caterer and the son she loves. . .killed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

When Goldy gets a cushy job as a caterer at a posh country club, she thinks her life is finally starting to look up, but then the local shrink that she has been seeing drives his car into a bus, and Goldy finds herself involved in a mystery that could get her and her son killed.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,456,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible