Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle by Georgette…

Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle (original 1957; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Kindle Edition, 391 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer (1957)

Recently added byGanneC, Irena., Kays_Kindle, Elsket, private library, SueinCyprus, thea-block

English (48)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
Sylvester, Duke of Salford, cannot believe that anyone might not want to marry him. It is one of basic premises in this story. The greatest problem Sylvester has is that nobody has ever talked back or found fault in anything he has done. I spent part the book wanting him to be rebuffed and another being annoyed by Phoebe.
Sylvester mocks a fairy tale prince, but turns into one the moment he sees someone needs help.

They don't meet right away in the book. The first two or three chapters are introduction to Sylvester, his family and their personal issues. What is different in this story is that one of the first conflicts happens pretty early. It left me dreading the expected mopping and whining. Fortunately, that doesn't happen.- As soon as one conflict happens, it gets resolved, the story moves to something new.

From Phoebe's silent and obedient girl act when they meet to her attempt at escape to an unexpected sea adventure, it is never boring. I can understand why people like it. It has a bit of Pride and Prejudice in it, a bit of humour and two very stubborn characters. Both Phoebe and Sylvester had to learn a couple of new things to more forward.

[b:The Grand Sophy|261689|The Grand Sophy|Georgette Heyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1414731822s/261689.jpg|3234291] is still my favourite. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Very enjoyable - I hadn't read this for at least ten years, and had mostly forgotten it. sylvester, a pleasant (but rather arrogant) Duke gets to know Phoebe, an outspoken girl who is determined not to marry him. Amusing at times, moving at others. Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The cover of this book is so very pink, so aggressively pink – pinker than bubblegum, pinker than a room full of cotton candy – so pink I didn't want to read it in public. And what in the name of heaven does that woman have on her head?

Do I have the wrong idea about 50's morality? I wasn't there, I only have hearsay to go by, but I thought the 50's – in the US, at least – were a period of extreme uprightness. Uptightness. On the surface, at any rate. Yet here is Sylvester, the dashing hero of his eponymous book published in and wildly popular in the 50's, known to everyone including his mother as a "dangerous flirt", possessed of at least two well-kept mistresses. And this is the hero all the girls are supposed to fall in love with as they read Heyer's novel? (I hit the exact same speedbump in the only other Heyer I've read. Do they all have mistresses?)

I feel I have either been reading the wrong Georgette Heyers, or I am missing the specific gland or neuron type that creates enjoyment of her books. Because I've read … three? and I just haven't enjoyed them. At all. Maybe it's me. Anyway, I disliked all of the characters, disliked how they were treated by the author and by each other, disliked the story and … yes, everything. I keep feeling like I need to keep trying Heyers, but it isn't going terribly well so far. ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 24, 2016 |
Very fun and well written ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very fun and well written ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Sylvester stood in the wondow of his breakfast parlour, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.
"You are the cause of every ill that has befallen me! You say I ill used you: if I did you are wonderfuly revenged, for you have ruined me!"
“I was feeling miserably shy before I quarreled with him, and there is nothing like quarrelling with a person to set one at one’s ease!”
As for Sylvester, however much it might seem to the casual observer that he was hardly to be blamed for possessing a nephew who was also his ward, anyone with the smallest knowledge of his character must recognize at a glance that it was conduct entirely typical of him.
Original title: "Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle" reedited only as "Sylvester".

Endowed with rank, wealth and elegance, Sylvester, Duke of Salford posts into Wiltshire to discover if the Hon Phoebe Marlow will meet his exacting requirements for a bride. If he does not expect to meet a tongue-tied stripling wanting both manners and conduct, then he is intrigued indeed when his visit causes Phoebe to flee her home. They meet again on the road to london, where her carriage has come to grief in the snow. Yet Phoebe, already caught in one imbroglio, now knows she soon could well be deep in another...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836082, Mass Market Paperback)

He was every woman's dream but hers . . .

Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . .

When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

The arrogant duke in Regency England does not realize that the girl he pursues is the author of a novel in which he is the villain.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible