Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle by Georgette…

Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle (original 1957; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Kindle Edition, 391 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer (1957)

English (50)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
Sylvester, Duke of Salford, cannot believe that anyone might not want to marry him. It is one of basic premises in this story. The greatest problem Sylvester has is that nobody has ever talked back or found fault in anything he has done. I spent part the book wanting him to be rebuffed and another being annoyed by Phoebe.
Sylvester mocks a fairy tale prince, but turns into one the moment he sees someone needs help.

They don't meet right away in the book. The first two or three chapters are introduction to Sylvester, his family and their personal issues. What is different in this story is that one of the first conflicts happens pretty early. It left me dreading the expected mopping and whining. Fortunately, that doesn't happen.- As soon as one conflict happens, it gets resolved, the story moves to something new.

From Phoebe's silent and obedient girl act when they meet to her attempt at escape to an unexpected sea adventure, it is never boring. I can understand why people like it. It has a bit of Pride and Prejudice in it, a bit of humour and two very stubborn characters. Both Phoebe and Sylvester had to learn a couple of new things to more forward.

[b:The Grand Sophy|261689|The Grand Sophy|Georgette Heyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1414731822s/261689.jpg|3234291] is still my favourite. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I've read this more than once and I really like it. I bought on the Kindle because it was on sale and my paper copy is probably in bad shape and I can get rid of it and still keep a copy of the book. Yea. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 26, 2016 |
Sylvester, more formally known as the Duke of Salford, is a duke right down to the beautifully shined toes of his Hessian boots. His manners are impeccable and he is careful to treat his lessers with cool courtesy. For all that, his attitude strikes Phoebe as the very height of arrogance, and she responds to the prospect of marriage to him by running away from home. Part of her consternation has to do with the roman a clef she has written and published anonymously which skewers many members of the aristocracy but none more pointedly than the Dook. Antics, misunderstandings, and shenanigans ensure before the requisite happy ending.

It's hard to say this is one of Heyer's funniest Regency romances because so many of them are delightfully humorous, but the characters of Sylvester and Phoebe are well-drawn and there is a stellar supporting cast that adds greatly to the novel's enjoyment. And I would give anything to read Phoebe's tell-all tale! ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
Not bad, but not a favorite. Actually, the problem is that it's too funny to be heartrending and too heartrending to be funny. If Sylvester and Phoebe were ripping up at each other as easily and comfortably as she does with Tom, it would be a hilarious book; if they didn't express themselves with quite as much wit and sharp observation, it would be a tearjerker as they thoroughly mess up the relationship. As it was, I was balanced between the two and never quite got absorbed into it. I thoroughly approve of Edmund (though he'll take a firm hand, if he's not to be spoiled), and thoroughly disapprove of Ianthe and her beau (though he did manage one moment of spine, at exactly the right time). And it does have a happy ending - happy in all senses, it's not merely Sylvester winning; he does get the setback he needs. This is one couple I'd have loved to see again (as far as I know, they don't show up in any other books - Heyer mostly didn't do series, in her romances. A few, but most of them are standalones). I'll probably reread it, but not for a while. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 14, 2016 |
Very enjoyable - I hadn't read this for at least ten years, and had mostly forgotten it. sylvester, a pleasant (but rather arrogant) Duke gets to know Phoebe, an outspoken girl who is determined not to marry him. Amusing at times, moving at others. Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rowe, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sylvester stood in the wondow of his breakfast parlour, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.
"You are the cause of every ill that has befallen me! You say I ill used you: if I did you are wonderfuly revenged, for you have ruined me!"
“I was feeling miserably shy before I quarreled with him, and there is nothing like quarrelling with a person to set one at one’s ease!”
As for Sylvester, however much it might seem to the casual observer that he was hardly to be blamed for possessing a nephew who was also his ward, anyone with the smallest knowledge of his character must recognize at a glance that it was conduct entirely typical of him.
Original title: "Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle" reedited only as "Sylvester".

Endowed with rank, wealth and elegance, Sylvester, Duke of Salford posts into Wiltshire to discover if the Hon Phoebe Marlow will meet his exacting requirements for a bride. If he does not expect to meet a tongue-tied stripling wanting both manners and conduct, then he is intrigued indeed when his visit causes Phoebe to flee her home. They meet again on the road to london, where her carriage has come to grief in the snow. Yet Phoebe, already caught in one imbroglio, now knows she soon could well be deep in another...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836082, Mass Market Paperback)

He was every woman's dream but hers . . .

Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . .

When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

The arrogant duke in Regency England does not realize that the girl he pursues is the author of a novel in which he is the villain.

56 wanted2 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,243,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible