Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle by the dread…
Hauling away...

Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle (original 1957; edition 2011)

by the dread pirate Georgette Heyer

Pearls o' Wisdom:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Kindle Edition, 391 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo, Kindle
How ye liked it:****
Pennons:Nought

Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1957)

Recently looted bymothus, SteveAtkins, hidden library, KatieBeitz, moonlitgarden, katiekrug, Diana.Hjelm, Trella2
  1. Venetia by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1958)
  2. Footsteps in the Dark by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1986)
  3. Bath Tangle by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1967)
  4. Lord of Scoundrels by the scurvy dog Loretta Chase (1995)
  5. Georgette Heyer's Regency World by the scurvy dog Jennifer Kloester (2005)
  1. The Private World of Georgette Heyer by the scurvy dog Jane Aiken Hodge (1984)
  2. Busman's Honeymoon by the scurvy dog Dorothy L. Sayers (1968)
  3. Slightly Dangerous by the scurvy dog Mary Balogh (2004)
  4. My Brother Michael by the scurvy dog Mary Stewart (1961)
  5. Romancing Mister Bridgerton by the scurvy dog Julia Quinn (2002)

Nought.

Hauling away...

Read the book rather than listen to this ABRIDGED audiobook! Whoever abridged this left out all the best parts and so changed this from being a wryly witty romance into a "typical" Regency romance similar to all those who copied Heyer without capturing her style or humor. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Another case where a lot of bits were great--Nugent in particular was appallingly hilarious--but I can't see the main couple being happy, and Phoebe would make a lousy duchess. I might have bought it more if Sylvester were more minor nobility, or even just a Mr. Rayne with noble relatives, like Mr. Darcy. ( )
  castiron | Mar 1, 2014 |
Not as solidly constructed or convincing as her best novels. I am not sure Phoebe's personality fully made sense. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Sylvester is a duke and boy does he know it. Unfortunately his personality tends to be a bit overbearing, and while he's a genuinely nice guy, he doesn't always come off that way. Not that he cares. He's a duke after all. Unfortunately those around him don't always share those sentiments and he winds up the subject of a Gothic novel. Written by the woman he's courting. This proves to the least of his problems however, and he's forced to muddle through as best he can. If only he can manage to win the girl at the end.

This one's so over the top that even a writer of Heyer's caliber struggles to make it believable. But if you like high drama and cross country (and Channel) travel, you'll probably enjoy the book. Just don't try to think too much. ( )
  inge87 | Nov 13, 2013 |
One of my favorite Heyers... I don't know why Phoebe seems so amusing to me but I love the interactions between Phoebe and Sylvester! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
Sylvester stood in the wondow of his breakfast parlour, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.
What the sprogs be sayin'
"You are the cause of every ill that has befallen me! You say I ill used you: if I did you are wonderfuly revenged, for you have ruined me!"
Final flappin'
(Click if'n ya wish to see. Warning: May let the cat out o' the bag.)
How these be diff'rent
Original title: "Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle" reedited only as "Sylvester".
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836082, Mass Market Paperback)

He was every woman's dream but hers . . .

Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . .

When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for . . .

(raided from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:43 -0400)

The arrogant duke in Regency England does not realize that the girl he pursues is the author of a novel in which he is the villain.

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (4.12)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,295 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible