Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle by Georgette…

Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle (original 1957; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Kindle Edition, 391 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer (1957)

English (50)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
I've read this more than once and I really like it. I bought on the Kindle because it was on sale and my paper copy is probably in bad shape and I can get rid of it and still keep a copy of the book. Yea. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 26, 2016 |
Sylvester, more formally known as the Duke of Salford, is a duke right down to the beautifully shined toes of his Hessian boots. His manners are impeccable and he is careful to treat his lessers with cool courtesy. For all that, his attitude strikes Phoebe as the very height of arrogance, and she responds to the prospect of marriage to him by running away from home. Part of her consternation has to do with the roman a clef she has written and published anonymously which skewers many members of the aristocracy but none more pointedly than the Dook. Antics, misunderstandings, and shenanigans ensure before the requisite happy ending.

It's hard to say this is one of Heyer's funniest Regency romances because so many of them are delightfully humorous, but the characters of Sylvester and Phoebe are well-drawn and there is a stellar supporting cast that adds greatly to the novel's enjoyment. And I would give anything to read Phoebe's tell-all tale! ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
Not bad, but not a favorite. Actually, the problem is that it's too funny to be heartrending and too heartrending to be funny. If Sylvester and Phoebe were ripping up at each other as easily and comfortably as she does with Tom, it would be a hilarious book; if they didn't express themselves with quite as much wit and sharp observation, it would be a tearjerker as they thoroughly mess up the relationship. As it was, I was balanced between the two and never quite got absorbed into it. I thoroughly approve of Edmund (though he'll take a firm hand, if he's not to be spoiled), and thoroughly disapprove of Ianthe and her beau (though he did manage one moment of spine, at exactly the right time). And it does have a happy ending - happy in all senses, it's not merely Sylvester winning; he does get the setback he needs. This is one couple I'd have loved to see again (as far as I know, they don't show up in any other books - Heyer mostly didn't do series, in her romances. A few, but most of them are standalones). I'll probably reread it, but not for a while. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 14, 2016 |
Very enjoyable - I hadn't read this for at least ten years, and had mostly forgotten it. sylvester, a pleasant (but rather arrogant) Duke gets to know Phoebe, an outspoken girl who is determined not to marry him. Amusing at times, moving at others. Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The cover of this book is so very pink, so aggressively pink – pinker than bubblegum, pinker than a room full of cotton candy – so pink I didn't want to read it in public. And what in the name of heaven does that woman have on her head?

Do I have the wrong idea about 50's morality? I wasn't there, I only have hearsay to go by, but I thought the 50's – in the US, at least – were a period of extreme uprightness. Uptightness. On the surface, at any rate. Yet here is Sylvester, the dashing hero of his eponymous book published in and wildly popular in the 50's, known to everyone including his mother as a "dangerous flirt", possessed of at least two well-kept mistresses. And this is the hero all the girls are supposed to fall in love with as they read Heyer's novel? (I hit the exact same speedbump in the only other Heyer I've read. Do they all have mistresses?)

I feel I have either been reading the wrong Georgette Heyers, or I am missing the specific gland or neuron type that creates enjoyment of her books. Because I've read … three? and I just haven't enjoyed them. At all. Maybe it's me. Anyway, I disliked all of the characters, disliked how they were treated by the author and by each other, disliked the story and … yes, everything. I keep feeling like I need to keep trying Heyers, but it isn't going terribly well so far. ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 24, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rowe, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sylvester stood in the wondow of his breakfast parlour, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.
"You are the cause of every ill that has befallen me! You say I ill used you: if I did you are wonderfuly revenged, for you have ruined me!"
“I was feeling miserably shy before I quarreled with him, and there is nothing like quarrelling with a person to set one at one’s ease!”
As for Sylvester, however much it might seem to the casual observer that he was hardly to be blamed for possessing a nephew who was also his ward, anyone with the smallest knowledge of his character must recognize at a glance that it was conduct entirely typical of him.
Original title: "Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle" reedited only as "Sylvester".

Endowed with rank, wealth and elegance, Sylvester, Duke of Salford posts into Wiltshire to discover if the Hon Phoebe Marlow will meet his exacting requirements for a bride. If he does not expect to meet a tongue-tied stripling wanting both manners and conduct, then he is intrigued indeed when his visit causes Phoebe to flee her home. They meet again on the road to london, where her carriage has come to grief in the snow. Yet Phoebe, already caught in one imbroglio, now knows she soon could well be deep in another...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836082, Mass Market Paperback)

He was every woman's dream but hers . . .

Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . .

When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

The arrogant duke in Regency England does not realize that the girl he pursues is the author of a novel in which he is the villain.

56 wanted2 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible