Remember, be here now by Ram Dass

Remember, be here now (1971)

by Ram Dass

English (18)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (21)
The original book is, of course, a classic; you should read it in some form. I want to offer a few comments about the Kindle edition for those considering what format will work best for them.

The core of the original book is closer to a comic book, or a series of posters, than a traditional book. If you want to experience the book in its original form, there is probably no substitute for a printed copy. But the Kindle version does take a very reasonable approach to dealing with the challenge of reproducing the original artwork: it includes graphics of each page and then, in a separate section, a transcription of the words on those pages. Although placing two graphics on each "page" of the Kindle book makes this a bit awkward to navigate, for some readers this version may be easier to read than the original: the printed book used dark backgrounds in some sections that make the text difficult to decipher, whereas the graphics and transcription in the Kindle version stick to white backgrounds. So, if reading red type against a brown background is not your idea of a good time, try the Kindle version.

The Kindle version does also include two guided meditation videos that may interest some readers. Unfortunately, these do not work in the Kindle Android app; I assume you need to have actual Kindle hardware to use them. In any case, I can't comment on these.

Bottom line: reading the Kindle version is a distinctly different experience of the book, but it's a reasonable choice for many, and possibly of interest even to those of us who already own the book in print. ( )
  szarka | Apr 26, 2017 |
I recently came across my much-read copy of this book, my doorway into seeking. What card-carrying hippie didn't have this? ( )
  LouisaK | Feb 2, 2016 |
I cannot rate this book. It is too weird. I got this from Borders at some point in January (I think) when I was on a dissociated bender and impulsively buying symbolic things. I only rediscovered it today on my bookshelf and went to a cafe to read it through. The book is divided into like three parts, plus a 'suggested reading' section. The first section is blue type on white paper; the second section is sideways and black type on brown kraft paper; the third section is brown type on white paper; and the bibliography is brown type on brown paper and very difficult to read. I read the second - middle - section, which is like this very weird and rambling treatise on living in the "here and now" and being "One". It talks about enlightenment as 'a trip' and uses phrases like "groovy astral plane" and talks about using LSD, etc. Its all accompanied by neat pictures and what look like stamps, and the text is all unique, too. It was an interesting read, but I couldn't take it seriously because it was so dated and so convoluted and, to me, un-interpretable.

~~~~

Now its September and I've had some more time to sit with this book and I'm really digging to "potent quotes", in the third section (Cook Book for a Sacred Life). I flip through and read something here or there and some lines really jump out at me.

I like this crazy book.
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517543052, Paperback)

It's easy to dismiss Be Here Now as the relic of a whacked-out '60s acid tripper. Paging through the center section of the book, with its inch-high print and psychedelic drawings, you come across lines like:
Magic Theatre
For madmen only
price of admission
your
mind
Then you turn to the first page of the book, and you are suddenly sucked into the story of a Harvard psychiatrist who has reached the pinnacle of success, discovers the mind-expanding powers of acid, and ends up trooping through India with a 23-year-old holy man from Laguna Beach, California. In the story, you see all the trappings of your own life and begin to wonder if India might hold the answers after all. Before booking your ticket, turn to the last section of the Be Here Now, "Cookbook for a Sacred Life." Ram Dass saves you the trouble by proffering a sober introduction to the basics of Hindu religion. Although he still can't resist CAPITAL LETTERS, he has done his homework, presenting a whole range of concepts and practices having to do with yoga postures, meditation, renunciation, dying, and sexual energy. So, for the most part, Be Here Now stands the test of time, and if you can entertain the center section in a retro kind of a spirit, it might be just what you're looking for: "The opposite of craving is saying, baby, this is the way it is, yeah, OK, here and now, this is it. I ACCEPT THE HERE & NOW FULLY." --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Mind, body, spirit, thought and practice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible