Love, Freedom, Aloneness: The Koan of…

Love, Freedom, Aloneness: The Koan of Relationships

by Osho

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All (7)
Two Gems this month. Can't ask for more. I always recommend a deep and thorough Oshoization.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
I have very recently been introduced to Osho. A Zen Buddhist Guru that was popular in the 1970s, Acharaya Rajneesh, popularly known as Osho, was an international Indian mystic, and spiritual teacher with an insight that could only be described as “enlightened”. Although Osho penned hundreds of books before he died in 1990, “Love, Freedom, Aloneness: A Koan of Relationships” was my first experience getting to know him and his teachings. Within just a few pages my heart started racing and my own thoughts ran towards “WOW”. Halfway through I was totally enamored, enthralled and excited, and soon jumped on the internet to purchase as many of his books I could afford in one fell swoop.

Osho is simply amazing in his ability to make all people who have ever felt alienated from the people around them, finally feel at ease with themselves. The people they know who are being dragged down into the quagmire of “following the crowd” and that are “drowning in the ordinary”, now become the examples of how not to live your life if you are one of the people like myself who have always colored outside the lines and felt proud to do so. This inspirational book is about “Love, God, Relationships, Freedom, the philosophy of Religion, Sex and about how imperative it is, and about how important it is to follow our own hearts and march to our own set of drums when walking each of these thought-provoking paths. Osho tells us, forget “them”, and pay attention to yourself. Not in a selfish egotistical way, but in a way that can bring joy into our lives the way WE choose to live it. And to live not by the rules of the church, our parents, our kids, or our peers. Letting God let us live our own lives in our own way is an underlying theme here.

Never in all the thousands of books I have read in my life has anyone spoke to me about God in a way I could accept or grasp. I loved his teachings of God, his philosophy of who or what God is or can be in each of our lives. He speaks of the church, of priests, of Gurus, Buddhas and other various deities from around the world in ways you can let seep in without fear of all of it threatening you to lean one way or the other, or to heaven forbid choose one at all. His open honest banter and non-preaching way of opening a reader up to God in ways one can understand or want to open up to, was a welcoming breath of fresh air for this reader! And, Osho has a wonderful sense of humor to keep a light air swirling around his wise words of wisdom!

Osho’s views on the importance of lust, sex, retaining our primitive selves as sensual beings, and how our normal hunger for sex can turn into a love relationship that is deeply rewarding and lasting, can be eye-opening as well as validating if you share his opinions on the topic. He tells us that without it we wither and die, we often let outside social views and religious dogma either stifle us, guilt trip us, or zoom us to the opposite direction bringing stress and chaos over this one simple human joy that should just be lived and cherished for what it is. Never denied or repressed by anyone in our lives.

I truly loved his views and opinions on what works in love relationships and what does not. All of it was simple common sense, so easy to intake, so loving and joyful. Honesty, being open to feeling fear and getting beyond it, can give us the ability to shed the pre-ordained dos and dont's we learned as children growing up as to what is proper and not allowed, what was considered dirty and shameful. All of it fades into dust as you read this fabulous book and let it all fall away into what you yourself want out of life and how to accomplish it. There are not enough stars in the rating system on this book in my eyes. This one will sit on the nightstand to read over and over and over….Stay tuned for more Osho book reviews! I think I found a new hero! ( )
  vernefan | Nov 27, 2013 |
This got me through some really rough times! ( )
  Coyote111 | Mar 18, 2013 |
These thoughts on love, sex, marriage, relationships, freedom, and enlightenment come from transcripts of the late teacher's lectures and question-and-answer sessions (satsangs), and their casual, conversational tone makes them easy to read. Osho stresses the need for self-love, the effect of meditation on one's ability to love, the origins of jealousy, the social conditioning that shapes one's relationships, the reasons relationships often fail, and the difference between love and lust. He makes his points emphatically, often using humor to illustrate his thoughts. "I teach self-love," he says. "But remember, self-love does not mean egotistical pride, not at all. In fact it means just the opposite. The person who loves himself finds that there is no self in him. Love always melts the self--that is one of the alchemical secrets to be learned, understood, experienced."

Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved.
  Saraswati_Library | Mar 24, 2010 |

In today's world, freedom is our basic condition, and until we learn to live with that freedom, and learn to live by ourselves and with ourselves, we are denying ourselves the possibility of finding love and happiness with someone else.

Love can only happen through freedom and in conjunction with a deep respect for ourselves and the other. Is it possible to be alone and not lonely? Where are the boundaries that define "lust" versus "love"...and can lust ever grow into love? In Love, Freedom, Aloneness you will find unique, radical, and intelligent perspectives on these and other essential questions. In our post-ideological world, where old moralities are out of date, we have a golden opportunity to redefine and revitalize the very foundations of our lives. We have the chance to start afresh with ourselves, our relationships to others, and to find fulfillment and success for the individual and for society as a whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible