Dancing in the Narrows: A Mother-Daughter Odyssey Through Chronic Illness

by Anna Penenberg

224,229,686 (4.5)None
Recently added byCherylk, kathleen.pooler

For anyone who is suffering with any type of chronic illness, I believe they will appreciate reading this book. It is one of the most "real" books that you can read. A thank you does go out to Dana for allowing her mother, Anna to share their story together. I say "their" story because while, Dana may have been the one with the physical illness, it was both of these ladies who endured the journey from the diagnosis to the point that Dana could start living her life again.

There are many moments of frustration but just as many heart warming moments. Every step of the way, I felt like I was right there with Dana and Anna. I know it is kind of stupid to say that I understand what Dana was going through as obviously I don't. However, it is because of how open this book was that I can say this in a way that I do understand.

I do believe that holistic medicine can help. I am not giving any medical advice in saying holistic medicine is the answer but I do believe that holistic medicine in tandem with traditional medicine can help. Our bodies can do great things. This book is worth your time to read. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 21, 2020 |
Anna Penenberg has written a gripping story of a medical challenge that took over the lives of her and her teenaged daughter, Dana. Dana became ill with a mysterious, debilitating disease at age sixteen. Multiple doctors were ill-prepared to diagnose and treat Dana. This sent Anna on a mission to get a correct diagnosis. In addition to traditional doctors, she sought many alternate forms of medical treatment which often took the two of them out of state. As a single mother of two daughters and despite the fact she was challenged physically, mentally and financially, Anna was relentless in her search for answers. Any mother could relate and yet, I found myself wondering if I could take it to the extent that she did. I was amazed at her courage and persistence. In the midst of all the normal issues facing parenting an independent adolescent, the road trips and nature outings offer humor that is both refreshing and a relief from all the trauma of dealing with an ill child with no clear cut diagnosis or treatment plan. Throughout this transformative journey, we see the strength of the mother—daughter bond and experience the joy of finally receiving a clear diagnosis and treatment. I highly recommend this engaging, well-written memoir--a page turner. ( )
  kathleen.pooler | Jun 21, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,567,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible