No title (2000)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (2000)

Recently added byRezeda, lycomayflower, rnbwpnt, HSContino, private library, Deleine, RachelNR, SweetLiar
    The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

I have had this series on my TBR list for so long! Now that I have finally started it, I hope to get through the entire series this year, as I am sure that the Bridgerton family will continue to be entertaining. How could they not be? 8 siblings, named in alphabetical order so none is forgotten, and all remarkably alike in looks being shepherded through each season by their matchmaking mama.

The first Bridgerton featured in the series is Daphne, eldest daughter of Violet Bridgerton. Poor Daphne, she has been friend-zoned by all the desirable men of the ton. They see her and they like her... they say how easy she is to talk to and like that she is so utterly normal. She is not like the lithe blonde females that are in fashion. I totally identified with Daphne... the cool relatable chick that all the guys like to hang out with but don't see as a romantic interest. I feel you girl. Le sigh.

Of course I was hooked on Simon, Duke of Hastings from the beginning. The story starts out at Simon's birth and moves quickly through his childhood where you want to wrap him up and protect him from the world. With a stammering problem, Simon works tirelessly to overcome the impediment and prove himself to his father. Having just arrived back in the country, and vowing never to marry, Simon is unprepared for the marriage-minded misses of the ton. And his Bridgerton brother friends are certainly not going to help him, as they want the attention diverted from their own bachelor status.

Simon and Daphne together were fabulous. Simon could speak with Daphne w/o worrying about his stammer, and Daphne was good at making Simon get out of his own way. Daphne made Simon see that he deserved to live and love and wasn't the boy his father disavowed. I loved seeing Daphne fight for her relationship and marriage, and for understanding the reasons behind Simon's actions. I also loved the closeness of the Bridgerton family, from their family outings to the brothers' protectiveness of Daphne, it was nice to see that such a large family got along and coexisted together under one roof.

Throughout the story, you have commentary in the scandal rag written by Mrs. Whistledown. But the question remains - who is Mrs. Whistledown? I have my suspicions, do you?

4 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
The Duke and I by Julia Quinn is the first in a historical romance series and this author knows how to write great characters and deliver a satisfying romance. The Bridgertons are a warm and funny family, the widowed mother and her eight children are close-knit and endearing to read about. This book features Daphne, the eldest daughter as she is launched into the marriage market. Daphne has had her share of attention, but none from anyone she would consider as suitable husband material and an attachment to an eligible duke would attract some proper suitors. Meanwhile Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings has decided he needs protection from unmarried girls and their pushy mothers. He and Daphne enter into a sham courtship, which of course guarantees that they fall for each other.

Of course falling love is just the beginning, there are many difficulties to yet be overcome as Simon has had a difficult childhood and has vowed to never marry or ever have children. Daphne, coming from a large and loving family, sees both marriage and children as her goal.

This story of a warm hearted girl and her damaged Duke was simultaneously funny and heartfelt. Full of witty banter that gave a strong hint of a Georgette Heyer influence, I found The Duke and I a joy to read. I look forward to the many more swoon-worthy romances in this series about the Bridgerton family. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 18, 2016 |
♥ The Duke and I:
I'm laughing so much!!! Every character in this book is amazing!! I am so looking forward to read the rest of the series!
Simon shocked me!! How could he refuse Daphne!? Poor Daff! Still I loved the book!! Amazing romantic story! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
A sweet novel, full of comfortable and believable banter and likeable characters. Daphne Bridgerton and her brother's best friend Simon Basset enter into a fake engagement to keep Society from bothering them. As all fake engagements do, this inevitably leads them to a real marriage. But the course of true love never did run smooth: Simon is still tormented by what a terrible parent his father was, and is adamant that he will have no children, while Daphne has always wanted a large family. They talk reasonably with each other about the future, but there are kernels of darkness in their disagreement: at one point Simon threatens to break a door down, and tells Daphne he legally owns her, and the next day Daphne takes advantage of an intoxicated Simon. Their guilt over these actions keeps them apart, but eventually they apologize and come to an understanding.

I look forward to reading the rest of this series! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
3.5 estrelas.

não tinha muita expectativa com esse livro porque sempre achei que Romance não fosse a minha cara, mas depois de ler alguns títulos comecei a simpatizar.
Júlia Quinn tem uma narrativa leve e criou personagens cativantes, como a Daphne e o Simon. Tem umas partes sensuais que eu não esperava que fossem aparecer, pensei que ia ser um romance levinho mas não foi nada exagerado. A história é simples mas cumpre bem o papel de entreter. Impossível não se apegar à família Bridgetons ( são muitos filhos gente, tá doido ahahahaha)

Quero continuar a série e conhecer mais a fundo os outros integrantes dessa família tão legal :) ( )
  karineamaral | Jan 31, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380800829, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality Rating: 7

Relentlessly pursued by match-making mamas and their charges, Simon Bassett, the handsome Duke of Hastings, has grown tired of the societal chase. Tired too is the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, whose matrimonially minded mother is set on finding her daughter the perfect husband. Neither Simon nor Daphne is happy with this annoying state of affairs and both would give anything for a little peace and quiet. Their mutual wish for a respite from the ton's marriage mart leads to a pretend engagement--a scheme that is threatened with exposure by Daphne's suspicious older brother, who happens to know Simon's way with women very well. The two never anticipated that a mutual attraction would lead to the very thing they set out to avoid--a wedding. But Simon fears that his painful past may keep him from being able to truly love anyone. And though Daphne cares for him deeply, she won't settle for anything less than his heart.

The Duke and I is rich with author Julia Quinn's trademark humor and engaging dialogue. Beneath the Regency charm of this novel, however, dwells an insightful exploration of the impact of childhood trauma and the healing power of love. Quinn just keeps getting better and better, a fact that's sure to delight readers. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:02 -0400)

The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible