Member:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:{Romántica Histórica}, Los Bridgerton

The Duke and I: The Epilogue II by Julia Quinn (2000)

The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

Well, not what I expected though I am not really sure what that was anyway. The story is completely in the description. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
This was my first Julia Quinn book - and I will be hunting up all the others I can find! This book was charming, witty and tender, all at the same time. The relationship between Simon and Daphne was given proper time to build, and neither character was perfect - both displaying quite obvious faults - Simon for brooding and not allowing himself to forget the past, Daphne for fairly obvious selfishness in the scene were she takes advantage of Simon's drunkeness (although not of him, exactly). Another charming part of this book are the presence of Daphne's brothers and sisters - all seven of them - who all have their own books later, but are all developing individual characteristics already. I wish that she had given a little more time to Simon coming around at the end, but that's really the only problem I have with this book. Can't wait to read the rest! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
This one might possibly be my favorite Bridgerton book, well, except for that one little scene where I berated Daphne for doing something so stupid and kind of squicky(don't take advantage of a drunk man,I don't care if he's your husband - especially given the circumstances). I suppose Ms. Quinn pulled out all the stops for her first book in the series, because the banter between Daphne and Simon, and Daphne and her brothers (love those guys) was off the chain. Even Violet, the dear mother of that brood, got in on the action. It's enough to make me wish I was a part of a massive family with a pack of protective older brothers willing to duel at dawn for my honor, if such a thing wouldn't land one a lifetime jail sentence nowadays.

I might be exhausted for the next week, given I stayed up until four in the morning to finish this book (why did I not go straight to bed after watching Game of Thrones?!?!), but I'd say it was worth it. ( )
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |

Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
library; first in the Bridgerton series. Daphne and Simon decide to pretend to be engaged, so her mother and the ton give up on pairing them with idiots. Simon in Daphne's brother Anthony's best friend, so he doesn't want Simon anywhere near his sister. Which only makes Daphne even more determined to do what she wants, even if it's to fall in love with Simon ( )
  nancynova | Apr 22, 2014 |
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380800829, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality Rating: 7

Relentlessly pursued by match-making mamas and their charges, Simon Bassett, the handsome Duke of Hastings, has grown tired of the societal chase. Tired too is the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, whose matrimonially minded mother is set on finding her daughter the perfect husband. Neither Simon nor Daphne is happy with this annoying state of affairs and both would give anything for a little peace and quiet. Their mutual wish for a respite from the ton's marriage mart leads to a pretend engagement--a scheme that is threatened with exposure by Daphne's suspicious older brother, who happens to know Simon's way with women very well. The two never anticipated that a mutual attraction would lead to the very thing they set out to avoid--a wedding. But Simon fears that his painful past may keep him from being able to truly love anyone. And though Daphne cares for him deeply, she won't settle for anything less than his heart.

The Duke and I is rich with author Julia Quinn's trademark humor and engaging dialogue. Beneath the Regency charm of this novel, however, dwells an insightful exploration of the impact of childhood trauma and the healing power of love. Quinn just keeps getting better and better, a fact that's sure to delight readers. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:13 -0400)

The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,731,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible