No title (2000)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (2000)

The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

English (74)  German (1)  All (1)  All (76)
Well, not what I expected though I am not really sure what that was anyway. The story is completely in the description. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I've read several books around this one and this was fun. Daphne Bridgerton wants a husband for which she feels something, she would like love to feature, but she's starting to realise that time is running out for her. Then Simon Basset, her brother's old friend comes back and they find themselves attracted, but he has sworn never to marry. Some of this starts to get a bit strained and I felt like the characters didn't talk enough about various life things before making major life decisions.

Left me with some niggles but overall a good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 20, 2017 |
4.5 "When Love Becomes A Family Affair" Stars for the Story and Narration!

First published in 2000, The Duke and I is a historical romance classic. I had been hearing about how good this story was (and indeed the whole series) for years, so when I was offered an opportunity to review the audiobook rendition by veteran narrator, Rosalyn Landor, I jumped at the chance. And what an experience it was. Reminding me somewhat of a Georgette Heyer title (The Grand Sophy) in its witty, comical family inter-relationships but loaded with a good bit more of romance, The Duke and I is a treasure of a historical romance that is guaranteed entertainment for hours. As an additional bonus, listeners are treated to a second epilogue, which is included for free in this book (but which was first included in a later edition of the book). Moreover, the expert narration by Ms. Landor makes this a title that even if you read it long ago is definitely worth re-experiencing in audio format.

Raised by a father who despised him for not being perfect (Simon was unable to speak until 4 and then only did so for years with a stutter), and having lost his mother in childbirth (after a heart-breaking inordinate amount of miscarriages to "comply with her wifely duties of producing an heir" for the Duke of Hastings who never even loved her); Simon has never known love. It is no wonder therefore that he has vowed retribution for all the neglect his father dealt him, by denying his father, even if he has now passed on, the only thing that ever mattered to him--an heir to carry on Duke of Hastings' name. With his cousins having produced only daughters, Simon is determined to never have children (and therefore also marry)--the Duke of Hastings' line will die with him!

Then he meets Daphne Bridgerton, the fourth of eight siblings, cleverly named in alphabetical order. Daphne is the sister of Simon's school friends Anthony, Benedict, and Colin. Daphne is the quintessential man's "friend." Though incredibly well liked, and being a few seasons into the marriage market, she still has to land a proposal she actually wants to accept (a mission her mother, Violet, takes incredibly seriously). The only rationale is that everyone sees her as a friend, and without competition vying for her attentions, she is still on the shelf, though she would like to marry and have children someday.

Of course, when Daphne and Simon meet they hit it off--much to Daphne's brother's (especially her alpha, older brother Anthony's) chagrin. Being that they know his determination not to marry (and reputation as a rake--a fact that even the ton gossip columnist writes about), they are resolute in stopping any type of courting between the two. However, when Daphne and Simon hatch a mutual beneficial plan (one that will rouse the interest of other marriage suitors for her and keep the determined match-making mothers away from him), their alliance continues and Daphne becomes surer and surer that she has finally found the "right one" for her. But can Daphne ever convince Simon to embrace life and love with her rather than allow the specter of his father's spirit to rule his actions in revenge and hate?

Rosalyn Landor is a pro at narrating historical romance. I love her ability to create so many distinct and distinguishable female characters. Her voicing, for Daphne in particular, was completely on point with her personality which really brought the book to life for me.

Ms. Landor also creates a deeper, more masculine voice for Simon and the other male characters (though her male characters have a more similar sound to one another). Ms. Landor had her work cut out for her with this book in that Simon occasionally suffers from a stutter. However, Ms. Landor performed even this speech impediment with expert precision. I also love how Ms. Landor can always make you feel the mood of the scene she is reading.

All in all this was a delightful historical romance that had me in stitches laughing as well sad at the injustices that the hero had to bear at different points in time. One of the aspects I loved the most about this novel is the close and dynamic familial relationships that Ms. Quinn has laid the foundation for in this debut of the Bridgertons Series. Now I can't wait to listen to more books in is series to see how each of the eight Bridgerton sibling achieves their HEA!

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | Mar 25, 2017 |
57/150 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
The story was plodding along nicely until the end there. Sorry, but I cannot give a raving review to what is essentially rape - regardless of time period - that goes unaddressed. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 7, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380800829, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality Rating: 7

Relentlessly pursued by match-making mamas and their charges, Simon Bassett, the handsome Duke of Hastings, has grown tired of the societal chase. Tired too is the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, whose matrimonially minded mother is set on finding her daughter the perfect husband. Neither Simon nor Daphne is happy with this annoying state of affairs and both would give anything for a little peace and quiet. Their mutual wish for a respite from the ton's marriage mart leads to a pretend engagement--a scheme that is threatened with exposure by Daphne's suspicious older brother, who happens to know Simon's way with women very well. The two never anticipated that a mutual attraction would lead to the very thing they set out to avoid--a wedding. But Simon fears that his painful past may keep him from being able to truly love anyone. And though Daphne cares for him deeply, she won't settle for anything less than his heart.

The Duke and I is rich with author Julia Quinn's trademark humor and engaging dialogue. Beneath the Regency charm of this novel, however, dwells an insightful exploration of the impact of childhood trauma and the healing power of love. Quinn just keeps getting better and better, a fact that's sure to delight readers. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:02 -0400)

The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,776,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible