No title (2000)

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (2000)

The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

Well, not what I expected though I am not really sure what that was anyway. The story is completely in the description. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
A funny and heartwarming story. Dialogue is realistic. Good intro to the characters that will be players for the series. ( )
  Teenycakes | Sep 27, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Daphne Bridgerton is starting her 3rd season on the marriage market, all because almost every guy she talks to seems to only think that if she were a man they’d be friends or something. She blames this problem of hers on the fact that she knows the inner workings of men’s minds too well, because of growing up with 4 brothers. So Daphne is becoming quite depressed as the only suitors she receives are either; 3 times her age, jerks, or whiny halfwits.

So when she runs into the Duke of Hastings, Simon, and he makes the proposal that they pretend to court each other she practically jumps at the chance. This little bargain will let Simon escape from the husband hunting mamas of the ton and Daphne will attract better suitors due to a Duke taking interest in her.

I really liked the fake courtship Daphne and Simon had going on. They had a lot of little moments together that were nice and easy going. But after Simon and Daphne got hitched things went downhill for me. The two pretty much locked themselves away at one of Simon’s country estates where they had a bunch of annoying fights and there’s a bunch of secrets and misunderstandings popping up all over the place and Simon starts being a really touchy. As for Daphne, she wants a kid and is getting a little obsessive about it. So Simon stomps off a bunch of times whenever Daphne hits one of his many nerves and Daphne is only getting more and more obsessive about this whole kids thing and so you know there’s bound to be an explosion of some kind coming. And when it does come Simon goes out and gets completely sloshed and makes the mistake of coming home to Daphne who is still in her obsessive kid having state. This leads to a rape scene. Yes, Simon was consenting in the beginning but first off he was drunk and secondly when someone says no and stop and the other person doesn't stop or gets forceful it becomes rape folks. And that's what killed this book for me. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
After that hot, offensive mess of a romance titled [b:Devil in Winter|114166|Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)|Lisa Kleypas|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1309220205s/114166.jpg|1823830], I decided that a good romance was necessary. So I picked up [b:The Duke and I|110391|The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)|Julia Quinn|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1379594717s/110391.jpg|846763]. It didn't disappoint, with lots of witty dialogue, but I found myself skipping over the emotional parts. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380800829, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality Rating: 7

Relentlessly pursued by match-making mamas and their charges, Simon Bassett, the handsome Duke of Hastings, has grown tired of the societal chase. Tired too is the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, whose matrimonially minded mother is set on finding her daughter the perfect husband. Neither Simon nor Daphne is happy with this annoying state of affairs and both would give anything for a little peace and quiet. Their mutual wish for a respite from the ton's marriage mart leads to a pretend engagement--a scheme that is threatened with exposure by Daphne's suspicious older brother, who happens to know Simon's way with women very well. The two never anticipated that a mutual attraction would lead to the very thing they set out to avoid--a wedding. But Simon fears that his painful past may keep him from being able to truly love anyone. And though Daphne cares for him deeply, she won't settle for anything less than his heart.

The Duke and I is rich with author Julia Quinn's trademark humor and engaging dialogue. Beneath the Regency charm of this novel, however, dwells an insightful exploration of the impact of childhood trauma and the healing power of love. Quinn just keeps getting better and better, a fact that's sure to delight readers. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:02 -0400)

The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible