No title (2000)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (2000)

Recently added byiShanella, dingesa27, ChristinaT., NelmsTree, Lauren2013, private library, Lvkidsbooks, sed1128, Aneris
    The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

English (73)  German (1)  All (1)  All (75)
The story was plodding along nicely until the end there. Sorry, but I cannot give a raving review to what is essentially rape - regardless of time period - that goes unaddressed. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 7, 2016 |
The Duke and I
4.5 Stars

Synopsis:
To protect himself from ambitious mothers, Simon Basset Duke of Hastings, makes a deal with his best friend’s sister – they will pretend to be engaged. For Daphne Bridgerton, the pretend betrothal turns out to be quite lucrative as she becomes the belle of the ball. The only problem is that Daphne begins falling for the devastating Duke who has made it clear that he has no intention of ever marrying.

Review:
After hearing such marvelous things about this book and the series as a whole, I just had to see for myself and was not at all disappointed. The Duke and I is a wonderfully sweet and charming story with engaging characters and some of the funniest dialogue.

Julia Quinn’s writing style makes it impossible not to feel for her characters. Simon is a heart-wrenchingly tortured hero but unlike the physical torment that many characters of this type endure, Simon’s suffering is all emotional and as such even more compelling. It is amazing that he is still capable of love after the rejection that he bore as a child.

Daphne is a spunky heroine and the way in which she handles both Simon and her brothers is inspiring. She and Simon have great chemistry and their banter is excellent. Their relationship develops in a predictable way. However, there is one questionable scene that some readers may find offensive. I don’t want to give too much away but suffice it to say that Daphne can be seen as taking advantage of Simon. I won’t say that the scene didn’t bother me because it places Daphne in a rather negative light but taken within the context of the story it is understandable if not quite acceptable.

The introduction to the other Bridgerton siblings is mainly focused on Anthony and Colin. While both brothers are sympathetic and engaging, Anthony’s overprotectiveness and belligerence is often grating and excessive. Nevertheless, the Bridgerton family dynamic is one of the highlights of the story and I look forward to reading the rest of the series soon. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Well, not what I expected though I am not really sure what that was anyway. The story is completely in the description. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I have had this series on my TBR list for so long! Now that I have finally started it, I hope to get through the entire series this year, as I am sure that the Bridgerton family will continue to be entertaining. How could they not be? 8 siblings, named in alphabetical order so none is forgotten, and all remarkably alike in looks being shepherded through each season by their matchmaking mama.

The first Bridgerton featured in the series is Daphne, eldest daughter of Violet Bridgerton. Poor Daphne, she has been friend-zoned by all the desirable men of the ton. They see her and they like her... they say how easy she is to talk to and like that she is so utterly normal. She is not like the lithe blonde females that are in fashion. I totally identified with Daphne... the cool relatable chick that all the guys like to hang out with but don't see as a romantic interest. I feel you girl. Le sigh.

Of course I was hooked on Simon, Duke of Hastings from the beginning. The story starts out at Simon's birth and moves quickly through his childhood where you want to wrap him up and protect him from the world. With a stammering problem, Simon works tirelessly to overcome the impediment and prove himself to his father. Having just arrived back in the country, and vowing never to marry, Simon is unprepared for the marriage-minded misses of the ton. And his Bridgerton brother friends are certainly not going to help him, as they want the attention diverted from their own bachelor status.

Simon and Daphne together were fabulous. Simon could speak with Daphne w/o worrying about his stammer, and Daphne was good at making Simon get out of his own way. Daphne made Simon see that he deserved to live and love and wasn't the boy his father disavowed. I loved seeing Daphne fight for her relationship and marriage, and for understanding the reasons behind Simon's actions. I also loved the closeness of the Bridgerton family, from their family outings to the brothers' protectiveness of Daphne, it was nice to see that such a large family got along and coexisted together under one roof.

Throughout the story, you have commentary in the scandal rag written by Mrs. Whistledown. But the question remains - who is Mrs. Whistledown? I have my suspicions, do you?

4 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380800829, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Regency England
Sensuality Rating: 7

Relentlessly pursued by match-making mamas and their charges, Simon Bassett, the handsome Duke of Hastings, has grown tired of the societal chase. Tired too is the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, whose matrimonially minded mother is set on finding her daughter the perfect husband. Neither Simon nor Daphne is happy with this annoying state of affairs and both would give anything for a little peace and quiet. Their mutual wish for a respite from the ton's marriage mart leads to a pretend engagement--a scheme that is threatened with exposure by Daphne's suspicious older brother, who happens to know Simon's way with women very well. The two never anticipated that a mutual attraction would lead to the very thing they set out to avoid--a wedding. But Simon fears that his painful past may keep him from being able to truly love anyone. And though Daphne cares for him deeply, she won't settle for anything less than his heart.

The Duke and I is rich with author Julia Quinn's trademark humor and engaging dialogue. Beneath the Regency charm of this novel, however, dwells an insightful exploration of the impact of childhood trauma and the healing power of love. Quinn just keeps getting better and better, a fact that's sure to delight readers. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:02 -0400)

The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,743,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible