The Falcon at the Portal: An Amelia Peabody…

The Falcon at the Portal: An Amelia Peabody Mystery (original 1999; edition 2009)

by Elizabeth Peters (Author)

1,583257,040 (4)34
Member:eschaalman
Title:The Falcon at the Portal: An Amelia Peabody Mystery
Authors:Elizabeth Peters (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2009), 464 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:favorites

The Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters (1999)

Recently added byrena75, private library, rachelisreading, BJWeller, LoisMMurray, Dino44

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
The turn toward angst and action is a little too strong. ( )
  themulhern | Jan 27, 2019 |
I regretted my decision to buy this book. The blurb mentioned a dead body - but I couldn't find one although I read more than a quarter of the book. There are also a lot of characters in the family circle and it was confusing to keep track of them all, and their relationships. The point of view also kept changing from First to Third person, which was weird. I love Agatha Christie's Egypt books and was expecting something similar, to be honest. ( )
  Nadishka | Jan 26, 2019 |
It has been several years since I have read an Elizabeth Peters novel and I enjoyed catching up on this great archaeological family. Once again, trouble is afoot and Peabody and especially her son, Ramses, are going to try to solve several problems this time, including murder, of course. An the great Emerson has his hands full making sure his wife and son do not become casualties! Entertaining and humorous, this book is also educational about a time at the turn of last century that going on "digs" in Egypt was a very important thing done by scientists. It is enlightening to learn a lttle bit about the Eastern people. A very good read. ( )
  LilQuebe | Aug 27, 2018 |
This was a fabulous read- Alot happened in this one! Im not going to spoil it so ill just say all of her books are consistently well-written & there is never a dull moment with the Emersons! I don't know what I'm going to do after I read all of this series! : ( I will miss them so much. I don't know that I'll ever find an author that compares! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380798573, Mass Market Paperback)

"'Really,' I thought in mounting exasperation, 'there never was a household in which so many people felt free to offer their unsolicited opinions!'" This, of course, is the eminent Egyptologist and dedicated crime solver Amelia Peabody, setting the stage and the tone (an updated Oscar Wildean irony) for Elizabeth Peters's 11th book. And it's true that there are no shrinking violets in this particular household, from the redoubtable Amelia and her hot-tempered archaeologist husband Emerson (his native diggers call him the Father of Curses), to their dashing, unpredictable son Ramses (born Walter). Also, let's not forget their lovely ward, Nefret (rescued from a desert tribe several books back), and their butler, Gargery, "who wields a cudgel as handily as he carves a roast."

As she has so many times before, Peters presents us with this quaint--even campy--little group of people, plops them down in an exotic Egyptian setting, and then surprises us by involving them in a story of great strength and emotion.

It's 1911, and David Todros, a young Egyptian who has just married into the Peabody family, is suspected of dealing in forged antiquities, possibly to help support a rising nationalist movement. Amelia, Emerson, Ramses, and Nefret all take various actions to help David, and there are serious, dangerous consequences for everyone involved. Despite the melodramatic setting and the theatrical language, Peters's story is--as always--modern, believable, and exciting.

Other books in the Peabody series available in paperback are The Ape Who Guards the Balance, The Crocodile on the Sandbank, The Curse of the Pharaohs, and The Hippopotamus Pool. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:49 -0400)

In Egypt to excavate pyramids, Amelia Emerson and her husband investigate an attempt to kill their son, Ramses. The incident appears connected to a friend of Ramses who is selling forged artifacts.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,713,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible