The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the…

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The… (2002)

by Anne Rice

so i read the first book and was not enthused enough to read the rest. it took me a bit to finish Interview. i kept plugging along cuz i just knew it would get better. all the reviews, all the sales, the movie.....but nope. i was bored. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
Anne Rice's infamous vampire Lestat is the original "Vampire crush" he woos his audience and his public as unapologetically as he does his victims. It is easy to fall under the "glamour" of the fiendishly charismatic Lestat as he unfolds his life to the reader, in an intimate and poetic narration / re-examination of his past and present day (20th Century) Life.

The reader will find themselves transported to that dingy New Orleans Hotel room where the first installment : " Interview with the Vampire" started, you'll become "the interviewer;" who's immediately smitten by his beauty; then terrified by his fiendish demeanor, and candor. Your heart will skip several beats as Lestat's recounts his last night as a human, as he shares his grief for the life and loves he's lost. Part of you will want to scream and run from the room in terror; yet you will find yourself fantasizing about letting him take you in his arms for that fatal last kiss.

Lestat's chronicle will re-awaken deliciously dark desires, and even philosophical re-examination of those uncomfortable questions about life, human existence, and " the meaning of all" (only if you want it to, like I do).

To me, Anne Rice's Lestat is a personification of what's both good and bad about humanity, and the individual's search for significance. Love him, hate him, or fear him, bet you cannot help empathizing with Lestat's reluctant bloodlust, as well as well as his conflicted drive for love, fame, acceptance, and even"Sainthood."

Lestat the cynical 15th century vampire who was unwillingly bestowed "the gift/curse" of vampiric immortality struggles to hold on to what's left of his humanity, morality, and soul in an increasingly changing world?

Through the eyes of The Vampire Lestat, and his cohorts, the reader is taken on journeys backwards and forward through time to share in the many adventures of Lestat and the other inhabitants of this preternatural parallel universe, where vampires, witches, demons, and spirits abound; Where the lines between good and evil; heroism and Villainy; hedonism and religion are skillfully blurred then redrawn. Underscoring the "self evident'" truths about humanity's frailty and our search for love- the only truly immortal gift.

The Vampire Chronicles are my favorite works of Anne Rice's, and I have read just about everything by her including biographies. To me Rice is the best Writer in this genre, her works are definitely not just " blockbuster fluff". Yes they are highly addictive and enjoyable, but I found this series to be well researched, prosaic and pleasantly philosophical at times. It's the definitive "Vampire" series, and all others are poor imitations (IMHO).

I didn't rate it 5/5 stars only because Rice failed to deliver on hers/ Lestat's implicit promise for an equally great sequel/ revamped "Vampire Chronicle" after " Queen of the Damned", subsequent attempts like "The New Vampire Chronicles" didn't quite deliver. She should really consider bringing Lestat into the 21st Century-I am really eager to hear his commentary on life in today's World. ( )
  gillv | Jun 12, 2014 |
Done with Interview with the Vampire! I'd read it so long ago that I had forgotten a great deal of it, which left me with the same feeling of satisfaction you get when reading a new book. And I really enjoyed it -again. A reminder that vampires are supposed to be these cold, dead, murderous creatures; and not the pretty young playthings from most contemporary vampire stories. Now, on to the Lestat novel!

Update- Done with The Vampire Lestat. Not bad, but I have to say it wasn't quite as satisfying as the previous book was. There are a lot more things going on in this story, but it somehow doesn't feel as cohesive as Interview with the Vampire did. I also felt that the author was somehow deviating a bit from the original concept; that might have helped make the series more popular, but I'm not sure it's made it better. Not a bad book, but not as good as the first one in the series. ( )
  Don.A | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345456343, Paperback)

The ornate, casket-like packaging and neogothic graphic design of this immortal trilogy is eerily enticing on its own. But just lift the lid, slide the first tape from its ghostly sleeve, and you'll soon embrace the hypnotic realm of the undead.

Book 1, Interview with the Vampire, opens with the seductive purr of F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus) stating, "I was a 25-year-old man when I became a vampire, and the year was 1791." And so our ultimate antihero, Louis, begins the elaborate retelling of his long, tortured life as a vampire. Winding through the ages, from New Orleans to Paris, we follow Louis and his undying mentor, Lestat, as they feed on humans, whet their carnal appetites, and uncover an underworld of vampire brethren.

Book 2, The Vampire Lestat, brings us up to date, with Lestat waking from his earthen slumber to join the ranks of rock superstardom before sitting down to share the tale of his own haunting initiation into the vampire world. Michael York (Cabaret) puts his wonderfully fluid, cosmopolitan voice to good use, adding a dash of sly humor to this fast-paced, satisfying blend of sex and blood and rock and roll.

Book 3, The Queen of the Damned, takes us back, all the way back to ancient Egypt, exposing the origins of the vampire way. Narrating in eerily serene and gracious tones, Kate Nelligan (The Prince of Tides) leads us gently down this bloody path of immortal desires. David Purdham gives the voice of Lestat a wistful quality, tinged with an evil relish that exposes the master vampire's sanguine tastes.

Anne Rice has continued her Vampire Chronicles beyond these three novels, but that shouldn't make this collection any less tempting to either the undead initiate or certified vampire junkie. --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:18 -0400)

Follows the three-century life of Lestat, from his boyhood in eighteenth-century France to his contemporary career as rock star and vampire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible