The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The…

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook (edition 2003)

by King Arthur Flour

Member:missdeeds
Title:The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
Authors:King Arthur Flour
Info:Countryman Press (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover
Tags:cooking, baking

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook by King Arthur Flour

Recently added byRapidCityPubLib, Segad, braegross, private library

My go-to baking cookbook every time I need to make pies, cookies, and cakes. Must have for any beginner to experienced baker. Extensive reference information and tips. ( )
  trdancer | Nov 1, 2013 |
This is another cookbook I've had for ages but have barely made any of the recipes in it. I really like the layout--there aren't many photos, just a few color inserts, but the sheer amount of recipes makes up for it. This is definitely like a baking bible. I especially like that they list both volume and weight measurements for all recipes.

As with all my cookbook reviews, I'll update as I cook from this!

Gingerbread Pancakes -- 4 stars
These have really good flavor, but I found them a touch on the dry side. The batter was really thick, so if it's like that in the future I'll add a bit more buttermilk. Or just serve them with lots of butter on top. These would also be great with a sweet topping since they're more on the savory side (I wish I had some maple syrup!) ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 30, 2013 |
The best cookbook for bakers... it has everything you could need to know about pie making (this section is especially wonderful!!) I'd highly recommend it as a gift book or for any serious baker. If you are like me and don't indulge in buying lots of cookbooks this is one to keep on hand! (and their catalogs and products are the best... I wouldn't bake without their flours... and no I don't get paid to say that!) ( )
  caseylondon | Mar 12, 2011 |
I was expecting their cookbook to be as good as their flour; it's not. It's a good, dependable baking book, but isn't very original or innovative. Would be good for beginning bakers. ( )
  dianaleez | Feb 17, 2009 |
One of my new favorite baking books. Easy instructions, a little bit of everything in here. I want to try to make crackers for our annual Christmas party first. I checked this one out from my library -- I will certainly be buying a copy soon! ( )
  ShawnMThrasher | Nov 16, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0881505811, Hardcover)

The King Arthur company has produced flour and other baking ingredients of high reputation for over two centuries. Similarly trustworthy, and reflecting their years of kitchen experience, The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion offers over 400 recipes for all kinds of basic and up-to-the-minute specialties--from pancakes and waffles to muffins and quickbreads; from coffee cakes, pizzas and crackers, to hearthbreads, cakes and cookies, including two complete chocolate chip recipes, for soft and crispy kinds. This is one of those books that no baking kitchen should lack--not only for its comprehensive repertoire and recipe dependability, but for the intimate ease with which it fulfills its promise. What this means, partly, is that technical information is perfectly pitched to ensure relaxed understanding, offering neither too much nor too little detail. It's the range and quality of these baking "backstories," including, for example, how to control cookie-dough spreading while baking, plus numerous hints and shortcuts, that help make the book so valuable.

Beginning, sensibly, with a concise section on measuring--the authors "first plea" is that readers buy and use a scale--the book then treats breakfast specialties, such as Gingerbread Pancakes and Pumpkin Praline Waffles; pursues quickbreads like Maple Cornbread; cobblers including those made under both cake and pie crusts; Sesame Crisps among other crackers; and yeast breads, such as bagels, a basic White Bread 101, and an exemplary Italian Bread, among others. An entire chapter is devoted to sourdough with instructions for creating your own starter. Readers will also want to try Strawberry-Lemon Chess Pies, Chocolate Lava Cake, and Pumpkin Cheesecake. A concluding everything-you've-always-wanted-to know ingredients glossary includes explorations on flour milling; of "faux fats" and sweeteners; the use of eggs in a dough or batter, in yeast breads and custards; information on the latest in European-style cultured butters, among much else. Color photos and numerous step-by-step technical drawings provide further guidance. With an illustrated section on tools, too, both high-tech and homey, such as the flour wand, the book has it all, for new and seasoned bakers alike. --Arthur Boehm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:53 -0400)

Provides a reference and resource guide to baking pastries, breads, cakes, popovers, cookies, pasta, and other goods, and includes easy-to-follow instructions, nutritional information, and additional food tips.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible