The Manny by Holly Peterson

The Manny

by Holly Peterson

274None41,274 (3.08)3

I felt like this book was uneven - like the author wasn't sure what she wanted this story to be. At times it felt like a romance novel where every scene is about sex and sexual tension. And then at other times it felt like more like a serious story about a failing marriage and excessive consumerism. Overall the storyline was good, but the tone of the novel just never hit the right note for me. I did like the author interview at the end of the audio version I listened to. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 12, 2013 |
You tell a story about rich Manhattanites, I'm there. In this one, a high-powered news producer thinks her son needs more male guidance (husband is distracted with his own career) and hires a "manny" who happens to be gorgeous, sensitive, and about to take off with his own high-tech company. You can guess what happens. Pretty good. I had the U.K. edition, so the language was almost quaint. ( )
  ennie | Nov 25, 2011 |
Fun, well-written book about Jamie, a middle-class Midwesterner now living in New York with the very, very rich and not really fitting in. When her 9-year-old Dylan begins to have "issues" because his high-powered lawyer father is never home and doesn't do anything with him even when he is home, Jamie hires Peter, a 28-year-old software developer who needs the money, as a manny (male nanny) to do things with Dylan and help him with the issues. Then life gets even crazier. Definitely in the chick-lit category but a good book if you're looking for something light ro read. ( )
  CatieN | Dec 4, 2010 |
Didn't listen to the whole thing. Got as an Overdrive book from the library
  gouldc | Apr 11, 2010 |
surprisingly good. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I actually like chic books sometimes... ( )
  mfoltz80 | Jul 28, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385340400, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Plum Sykes Plum Sykes burst onto bookshelves in 2004 with her internationally-acclaimed bestseller Bergdorf Blondes, a novel in which she spotlighted the lives of New York’s Park Avenue Princesses. Born in London and educated at Oxford, Sykes is a contributing editor at Vogue, where she writes on fashion, society, and Hollywood. She has also written for Vanity Fair magazine. Her latest novel is The Debutante Divorcee. "If you want to see rich people act really rich, go to St. Henry’s School for Boys at 3p.m. on any weekday." Or you could just read Holly Peterson’s debut novel, The Manny. The first line of this rather delicious story sets us up for what is to come: a satire of money, marriage, men and mannys. ("The Manny" of the title is actually a male nanny, just another parenting trend for Manhattan’s uber-rich.) Peterson’s heroine is Jamie Whitfield, a middle class girl from middle America who, supposedly, married well. She works as a news producer and it is through her that we get an inside peek at Manhattan’s silly rich. In Peterson’s well-drawn world, Whitfield and her hotshot lawyer husband, Philip, inhabit a specific area of Manhattan’s Upper East Side, dubbed ‘The Grid’. Although Jamie fell hard for Philip when they were in their twenties, little did she realize she was marrying a man who thinks making a million or so a year means he is poverty-stricken, whose personal vanity knows know bounds and whose preferred reading material is books with titles like How To Raise Children in an Affluent Environment. With the ghastly husband getting more revolting by the second, her son Dylan losing his confidence, and Jamie’s work going wrong, it’s not long before Peter Bailey, a thirty year old manny--who also happens to be outrageously sexy--enters the fray. Now, there is nothing more amusing than the posh girl falling for The Help, but upright Jamie holds out--for pages and pages and pages--determined not to cheat on her husband. But when Jamie discovers another Alpha Mom has seduced Peter in her linen closet during a play date, it seems only a matter of time before the inevitable happens. Peterson has a keen eye for the zeitgeist. She describes the world of the hedge-fund billionaires and their excessive desires with sharp precision and a steely honesty. She takes us to their children’s lavish birthday parties, explores the exact kind of fringing their cushions require and even kindly translates their slang for us: "its wheels up at three" actually means "my private plane takes off at three o’clock". Though the detail of such an extreme lifestyle could become suffocating, at its heart the book has a more human crisis to explore--a marriage in jeopardy. The fun comes with the love affair with the Manny. It’s Lady Chatterly’s Lover for the beach.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

A solid middle-class girl from Middle America, Jamie Whitfield isn't "one of them" but she lives in the wealthiest section of Manhattan. And she has most everything they have--a big new apartment, full-time help with her three children, as well as her very own detached Master of the Universe attorney husband. What she doesn't have is a full-time father figure for their struggling nine-year-old son, Dylan. Enter the manny. At first the idea of paying a man to provide a role model for Dylan sounds too crazy to be true, but one look at Peter Bailey is enough to convince Jamie that the idea may not be quite so insane after all. Peter reminds her of everything she once was, still misses, and underneath all the high-society glitz, still is. But will the new manny in her life put the ground back beneath her feet, or sweep her off them?--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible