Hot Words for the SAT by Linda Carnevale

Hot Words for the SAT

by Linda Carnevale

If you've got a word test or want to show off your words than this book will help you get through any of that stuff! ( )
  Nbrowne | Oct 18, 2010 |
I got this book at a Scholastic warehouse sale and have used it with my 11th grade omnibus students. I have added some of the words to our vocabulary list. I just found out another classical teacher uses it and had each student use a copy. It gives the word, part of speech, and several sentences. I do wish it included a punctuation guide but they state that they purposely left off due to different punctuation use. They still should include it and when there are differences they could add them, just like the dictionary. There are also activities for students to do but I have never used any of them. One strength of this listing is they are all organized by similar definitions. Some of my students didn't like that but others did. I wanted them to build their vocabulary for writing purposes and I found this helped as many of the words later showed up in their writing.
  janimar | Apr 16, 2008 |

Updated and expanded to reflect the vocabulary and format of the current SAT's Critical Reading section, Hot Words for the SAT presents and defines more than 365 words that frequently appear on SAT exams. The book is divided into 35 lessons, each consisting of dozens of illustrative sentences and a thematic word cluster. Each cluster contains words having similar meanings or words that apply to similar circumstances. Also included are new pronunciation keys for each word, memory tips, expanded review exercises following every five lessons, and an alphabetical word index. College-bound students who successfully complete the book's exercises and master these words will expand their lifelong vocabulary and improve their chance for acceptance at the school of their choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Reviews the vocabulary words most often found on the SAT and provides practice exercises.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible