Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

East of Eden (original 1952; edition 1979)

by John Steinbeck (Author)

19,217349154 (4.39)1 / 846
This sprawling and often brutal novel, set in the rich farmlands of California's Salinas Valley, follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.
Member:TerraLaurel
Title:East of Eden
Authors:John Steinbeck (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1979), 782 pages

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Author) (1952)

Recently added byprivate library, m1337, Arina40, nospmisannah, RossTatam, nanoqueen, wyoca87, Executables
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner, Ernest Hemingway
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: epic western novel with similar voice
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (cometahalley, cometahalley)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (cometahalley)
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (sushidog)
    sushidog: Epic family novels
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (weener)
    weener: An epic, fascinating family drama.
    The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz (paulkid)
    paulkid: These books are fathers-and-sons family epics that are set around the turn of the (20th) century. They both have philosophical and coming-of-age themes as well.
    A Journey into Steinbeck's California by Susan Shillinglaw (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating coffee table book, lavishly illustrated with photos and maps, well-written too. Sort of Steinbeck's "Californian" biography, though it also covers his living in New York and travels to Mexico. Plenty of interesting real-life background of "East of Eden" and many of his other works. Compelling insight into Steinbeck's personality.… (more)
    The Notebook; The Proof; The Third Lie by Ágota Kristóf (UrliMancati)
    Años Inolvidables by John Dos Passos (cometahalley)
    Abel Sánchez by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The story of Cain and Abel reimagined in a more modern setting
1950s (14)
To Read (140)

English (331)  Italian (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (346)
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Nov 14, 2020 |
I enjoyed the book up until Sam Hamilton died. I wasn't particularly fond of his character, but I still felt a great impact when Sam was telling about how he was going on his farewell vacation to his children's homes. I wish the book would have found a way to wrap up the Trask story soon after that, because I was not interested in the Trask plot in the later years at all. ( )
  Fritzwilliam | Nov 1, 2020 |
C'è una piccola luce innanzi allo sguardo dell'uomo. Calda, dolce, rassicurante, la luce dei sogni, della speranza e della presunta serenità alletta ognuno di loro con la visione di un Eden possibile. Vicino, ma lontano allo stesso tempo. Precluso da una vita che tanti sogni concede e solo di rado realizza le proprie promesse. A volte questa stessa vita ispira la visione di un autore, si lascia catturare e trasfondere in un opera triste, ma ricca di pathos, riflessioni e insegnamenti. E diviene immortale. ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |
A look at two families who settle in Salinas, California to raise their families and the highs and lows these families encounter. A interesting look at good and bad and the battle in families between siblings. ( )
  foof2you | Sep 7, 2020 |
Best book of all time ( )
  SiriusTex | Aug 15, 2020 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Pascal Covici

Dear Pat,

You came upon me carving some kind of little figure out of wood and you said, "Why don't you make something for me?" I asked you what you wanted, and you said, "A box." "What for?" "To put things in." "What things?" "Whatever you have," you said. Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts--the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation.

And on top of these are all the graditude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full.

JOHN

The Salinas Valley is in Northern California.
You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
I don't very much believe in blood. I think when a man finds good or bad in his children he is seeing only what he planted in them after they cleared the womb. - Samuel Hamilton
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.

Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185074, 0241952492

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible