East of Eden by John Steinbeck

East of Eden (original 1952; edition 2003)

by John Steinbeck

17,078319154 (4.4)1 / 810
Member:lprosenbaum
Title:East of Eden
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2003), Edition: Centennial Edition, Paperback, 601 pages

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (1952)

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: epic western novel with similar voice
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (cometahalley, cometahalley)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (cometahalley)
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (sushidog)
    sushidog: Epic family novels
    A Journey into Steinbeck's California by Susan Shillinglaw (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating coffee table book, lavishly illustrated with photos and maps, well-written too. Sort of Steinbeck's "Californian" biography, though it also covers his living in New York and travels to Mexico. Plenty of interesting real-life background of "East of Eden" and many of his other works. Compelling insight into Steinbeck's personality.… (more)
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (weener)
    weener: An epic, fascinating family drama.
    The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz (paulkid)
    paulkid: These books are fathers-and-sons family epics that are set around the turn of the (20th) century. They both have philosophical and coming-of-age themes as well.
    Años Inolvidables by John Dos Passos (cometahalley)
    The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie by Ágota Kristóf (UrliMancati)
    Abel Sanchez and Other Stories by Miguel de Unamuno (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The story of Cain and Abel reimagined in a more modern setting
1950s (15)
To Read (47)

English (305)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (316)
I didn't enjoy reading this book. The way everything ended made little sense to me. Aaron Trask just seems pathetic. I like the idea that we are all just people... but I don't think that message is particularly strong.. despite saying it over and over. I like Steinbeck's writing style, but this story just feels messy and unpolished. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
Beautifully written, but I could only read it in small doses. The feeling of doom waiting in the wings grows and grows, so strongly that when it does happen, it is almost a relief. I read this as a teenager, but I was too young to understand it. It is far more powerful now. It also helps that I have spent time in the Salinas Valley - Steinbeck's love of his home town comes through powerfully.
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This was one I will never forget..... ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
I read this about 32 years ago in sophomore English. I remember loving it, although I may have loved the teacher more than the book. When I saw the exact same edition in the library, I grabbed it on a whim to see if it held up. It didn't. It's not awful and only mildly pretentious, but I'm 350 pages in and don't want to do another 350. Reading it reeks of doing homework. There are too many other things to read. Plus, when a character has a horse named "Doxology," you know you're in the hands of someone trying too hard, or trying for the wrong things. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
How does one follow this? Steinbeck is truly a genius! Great characters, my heart broke for them. I so understood Caleb not wanting to do bad things, but unable to help himself. I feel this way myself. I admired some characters, but they were not without their flaws. How true, how real. The language is wonderful. I felt like I could see and smell the places. There is a lot here to ponder. Except for its length this would make a wonderful book group book. So much to talk about.

I listened to the audio version read by Richard Poe. He does a masterful job. I can't imagine anyone better. ( )
  njcur | Jul 30, 2018 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Pascal Covici

Dear Pat,

You came upon me carving some kind of little figure out of wood and you said, "Why don't you make something for me?" I asked you what you wanted, and you said, "A box." "What for?" "To put things in." "What things?" "Whatever you have," you said. Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts--the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation.

And on top of these are all the graditude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full.

JOHN

The Salinas Valley is in Northern California.
You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
I don't very much believe in blood. I think when a man finds good or bad in his children he is seeing only what he planted in them after they cleared the womb. - Samuel Hamilton
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.

Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000655, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. The biblical account of Cain and Abel is echoed in the history of two generations of the Trask family in California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

This sprawling and often brutal novel, set in the rich farmlands of California's Salinas Valley, follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185074, 0241952492

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible