Na východ od ráje by John Steinbeck

Na východ od ráje (original 1952; edition 2002)

by John Steinbeck, František Vrba

14,467246138 (4.41)1 / 687
Member:zemetras
Title:Na východ od ráje
Authors:John Steinbeck
Other authors:František Vrba
Info:Frýdek-Místek : Alpress, 2002

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (1952)

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    A Journey into Steinbeck's California by Susan Shillinglaw (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating coffee table book, lavishly illustrated with photos and maps, well-written too. Sort of Steinbeck's "Californian" biography, though it also covers his living in New York and travels to Mexico. Plenty of interesting real-life background of "East of Eden" and many of his other works. Compelling insight into Steinbeck's personality.… (more)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: epic western novel with similar voice
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (sushidog)
    sushidog: Epic family novels
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz (paulkid)
    paulkid: These books are fathers-and-sons family epics that are set around the turn of the (20th) century. They both have philosophical and coming-of-age themes as well.
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (cometahalley, cometahalley)
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (weener)
    weener: An epic, fascinating family drama.
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (cometahalley)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (sturlington)
    The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie by Ágota Kristóf (UrliMancati)
    Años Inolvidables by John Dos Passos (cometahalley)

English (234)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (244)
You have a choice ... and you should choose to read this.

Timshel. ( )
  beebowallace | Aug 13, 2015 |
I really love John Steinbeck. I just find so many of his characters to be so lovable. And he always has so much wisdom about agrarian life, the changing times, human nature, good vs. evil, etc. I love the random passages in Steinbeck's books that aren't exactly about the characters, but rather a commentary on the setting or times in which the novel is set.

This book is a parallel to the biblical Cain and Abel story, but really so much more than that. I really loved Cal and his struggle with the good and evil within himself.

klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Excellent writing, offering many moments of truth that I savored and wished to underline for easy reference later. Unfortunately, it was not my own copy of the novel that I read, but I think I'll remember for some time. I think this was as significant as Grapes of Wrath which was my favorite novel of all time.
I wish I could ask Steinbeck one question, though. Why did he choose to make the narrator himself (John Steinbeck), when he only made like a cameo appearance in perhaps 3 of the 600 pages of this novel? It's an odd technique to have a firs-person narrator who was never once present for any of the story to be an omnicient narrator as well. I'd love to hash out the reasons for this in a book-group-type discussion. Were the Trasks real, since he himself and the Hamilton family are real?
Anyway, I leave this book not only intellectually stimulated, but with a lot to think about, especially regarding parenting, the impact our actions have on our children, and how the search for love and acceptance (and the rejection of it) affects our behavior.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I'm pretty sure I read this on my own after college graduation, before I left home ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book is beautiful. It's so simply written and yet it explores the complexity of a million different issues with a deft hand. Yes, it is flawed - but it hardly matters when it offers the kind of reading experience that it does. I get the feeling your perspective has a lot to do with how you interpret the book, but that may be the best thing of all about it - no matter your perspective, I genuinely believe this book has something to offer to you. ( )
  humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
Novelist Steinbeck has done some of his best writing in East of Eden. As always, he describes his Salinas Valley with fidelity and charm. Moreover, individual scenes and yarns are frequently turned with great skill. But whether as a novel about pioneers in a new country or just men & women working out their private, earthly fates, East of Eden is too blundering and ill-defined to make its story point. That point, says Steinbeck, is "the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil." East of Eden has over-generous portions of both, but a novelist who knows what he wants channels them, he doesn't spill them.
added by Shortride | editTime (Sep 22, 1952)

Probably the best of John Steinbeck's novels... ["East of Eden's"] dramatic center is a narrow story of social horror that rests quite disarmingly on the proposition that "there are monsters born in the world to human parents." But through the exercise of a really rather remarkable freedom of his rights as a novelist, Mr. Steinbeck weaves in, and more particularly around, this story of prostitution a fantasia of history and of myth that results in a strange and original work of art.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Sep 21, 1952)

A fine, lusty sense of life is here, a delight in the spectacle of men and women struggling in the age-old ways to meet their separate destines, and an abundance of good story-telling... John Steinbeck has grown in his respect for his fellow human beings, in his understanding of them. He has reached mature and thoughtful conclusions about them. And he has expressed his conclusions in interesting and thought-provoking fashion.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Sep 19, 1952)

Steinbeck, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Pascal Covici

Dear Pat,

You came upon me carving some kind of little figure out of wood and you said, "Why don't you make something for me?" I asked you what you wanted, and you said, "A box." "What for?" "To put things in." "What things?" "Whatever you have," you said. Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts--the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation.

And on top of these are all the graditude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full.

JOHN

The Salinas Valley is in Northern California.
You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
I don't very much believe in blood. I think when a man finds good or bad in his children he is seeing only what he planted in them after they cleared the womb. - Samuel Hamilton
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.
East of Eden was written by John Steinbeck, not Ernest Hemingway.

Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000655, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. The biblical account of Cain and Abel is echoed in the history of two generations of the Trask family in California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

This sprawling and often brutal novel, set in the rich farmlands of California's Salinas Valley, follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.… (more)

5 2031

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185074, 0241952492

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,072,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible