Na východ od ráje by John Steinbeck

Na východ od ráje (original 1952; edition 2002)

by John Steinbeck, František Vrba

15,400279119 (4.4)1 / 743
Member:zemetras
Title:Na východ od ráje
Authors:John Steinbeck
Other authors:František Vrba
Info:Frýdek-Místek : Alpress, 2002

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (1952)

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (John_Vaughan)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: epic western novel with similar voice
    A Journey into Steinbeck's California by Susan Shillinglaw (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating coffee table book, lavishly illustrated with photos and maps, well-written too. Sort of Steinbeck's "Californian" biography, though it also covers his living in New York and travels to Mexico. Plenty of interesting real-life background of "East of Eden" and many of his other works. Compelling insight into Steinbeck's personality.… (more)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (cometahalley)
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (sushidog)
    sushidog: Epic family novels
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (cometahalley, cometahalley)
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (weener)
    weener: An epic, fascinating family drama.
    The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz (paulkid)
    paulkid: These books are fathers-and-sons family epics that are set around the turn of the (20th) century. They both have philosophical and coming-of-age themes as well.
    Años Inolvidables by John Dos Passos (cometahalley)
    The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie by Ágota Kristóf (UrliMancati)

English (265)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (276)
Steinbeck is an author I've put off for quite awhile. I tend to romanticise my fate with books, always believing there's a "right" time to explore a new one and hoping the books fall in with my notion. In this case, it happened to work out just that way. It was a last minute rec at the library (a great rec btw) as I was checking out and I read my way through the other check-outs, eyeing it surreptitiously as you might eye a tiger sitting in the corner of your room if you were foolish enough not to run away screaming your head off. It might seem pretty silly, it certainly does to me anyways. But I think that's the deal with reading. It's not simply a book, it's thought. Or, more intimidatingly, it's classic thought. It's experience that might completely change parts of your entire outlook.

As remarked several times on it's covers and in it's introduction, Steinbeck referred to this book as "the first book" or similar. As you read through, you can definitely understand the weight of his statement. At a point in the story he says, "We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the neverending contest in ourselves of good and evil." There is of course a contest between the two in this book, in many forms. However, I felt it more pinpointed to the fact that you have to take one with the other. So I'd say I agree with both the reference and the weight of it, from his personal outlook on his writings and his view, defined in the quote, of the base of all plot lines.

Between this weight, the contesting sides, ideas on theology and ideals, and simply stated truths about the happenings and characters of the books such as, "you can boast about anything if it's all you have," it was an engrossing read. It has the ability to prompt self-examination and that should always be applauded.

I will say that the casual racism and sexism in classics is often intrusive in my reading, and this classic wasn't any different in that regard. Mainly because there's so much intelligence throughout the book you'd like to hope the author would be of higher thought in those areas as well. And yes, I know, "it was the language of the time" and all that. But it's pretty dismal nonetheless. Primarily because you'd think we'd have come further all this time later. However, even that let down can prompt self-examination if you're up to it. As they say in the book, "timshel," meaning 'thou mayest'.

All in all, it was a book that came at the right time and a book I'd definitely recommend. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Have read this book many times and always enjoy the read. I seem to get something different out of it each time I read it.
It's about a few families that have migrated to the Salinas valley in CA. Love the detailed descriptions of the flowers in the valley.
The Hamilton family are basically farmers-he had left Ireland and came to CA to farm although his land is rock ridden he knows many things that others profit on.
Also follows a family from the Northeast and he's been in the army, got wounded and came home to his family. He brought back diseases that caused his wife to die. He quickly marries. One female marries Adam Trask and they move out to CA.
Quite the adventure and travel and how the two families become connected. So many lies and deceptions. Glimpses of the war also.
  jbarr5 | Jul 20, 2016 |
Fantastic!

A tale of heredity and tragedy, reminiscent of One Hundred Years of Solitude. More tragic and less funny though.
  bartt95 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I had read Steinbeck works before ("The Pearl," and "Travels With Charley"), but had never picked up this novel. It contains so MUCH more than the movie starring James Dean (which basically covered only the end of the novel, from about chapter 35 on.)

The writing style is compelling. Sentence structure is short and keeps the story moving. Yet, he still finds time to describe the setting and the people in a way that makes them come alive on the page.

The most intriguing characters for me were Cathy/Kate and Lee. Cathy because she personified evil as did no other character in the book. Even Cyrus, Charles and Caleb all had moments of “goodness.” Only Cathy was uniformly and consistently evil. A true psychopath.

Lee fascinates me because of his circumstance, his intelligence, his decision to use pidgin (“because it’s what people expect to hear”), and his great love for the Trask family. He, in effect, took on the role of the “mother” of the house after Cathy left. If someone were to write a “sequel” or complementary work to this one, I would hope it would tell Lee’s story. I would definitely read that book!

It is an epic tale based on the Book of Genesis, telling the saga of three generations of Trask men. Cyrus Trask is the father of Adam and Charles (though by different mothers). The boys do not get along; Charles nearly kills Adam. Eventually, however, they are living on the farm alone in an uneasy truce, when Cathy - having been beaten nearly to death - lands on their doorstep. Charles recognizes the evil in her, but Adam is smitten and marries her. They move to California where Adam wants to set up a model farm in the fertile Salinas Valley. But that is HIS dream, not Cathy’s. After she gives birth to twins Adam and Caleb, Cathy abandons them and moves to town, where she goes to work in the “best” brothel. Adam never really recovers from her betrayal. The raising of the twins is left to his Chinese servant, Lee. When the boys are about 11, Adam moves to town so they can have better schooling. Aron becomes close to Abra, a girl in his class. Cal struggles with “being good.” Although Adam has never leveled with the boys about their mother, Cal has discovered the truth. It’s really not much of a secret in town. As WW I looms, Cal tries to earn some money so he can please his father and “earn his love.” But when he presents his father with the money he has earned Adam refuses the gift saying it is the gains of war profiteering. Cal, feeling hurt and dejected, takes it out on their father’s “favorite son,” Aron. He takes Aron to visit their mother. Aron, distressed to learn the truth, runs away to join the Army. When the telegram comes saying he has died in the war, Adam suffers a stroke and Cal feels the guilt of having “killed” his brother. But at Lee’s urging, Adam finally gives some sign that he forgives and accepts Cal.

Our book group found much to discuss here. Are people really “born monsters”? If so, how do you reconcile free will and choice (Timshel)? Were Cal and Aron the sons of Adam or of Charles? How autobiographical was this work (the occasional first person narrator is named “John” and he is the son of Olivia Hamilton – as was John Steinbeck himself). ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 9, 2016 |
timschel ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Novelist Steinbeck has done some of his best writing in East of Eden. As always, he describes his Salinas Valley with fidelity and charm. Moreover, individual scenes and yarns are frequently turned with great skill. But whether as a novel about pioneers in a new country or just men & women working out their private, earthly fates, East of Eden is too blundering and ill-defined to make its story point. That point, says Steinbeck, is "the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil." East of Eden has over-generous portions of both, but a novelist who knows what he wants channels them, he doesn't spill them.
added by Shortride | editTime (Sep 22, 1952)

Probably the best of John Steinbeck's novels... ["East of Eden's"] dramatic center is a narrow story of social horror that rests quite disarmingly on the proposition that "there are monsters born in the world to human parents." But through the exercise of a really rather remarkable freedom of his rights as a novelist, Mr. Steinbeck weaves in, and more particularly around, this story of prostitution a fantasia of history and of myth that results in a strange and original work of art.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Sep 21, 1952)

A fine, lusty sense of life is here, a delight in the spectacle of men and women struggling in the age-old ways to meet their separate destines, and an abundance of good story-telling... John Steinbeck has grown in his respect for his fellow human beings, in his understanding of them. He has reached mature and thoughtful conclusions about them. And he has expressed his conclusions in interesting and thought-provoking fashion.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Sep 19, 1952)

Steinbeck, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Pascal Covici

Dear Pat,

You came upon me carving some kind of little figure out of wood and you said, "Why don't you make something for me?" I asked you what you wanted, and you said, "A box." "What for?" "To put things in." "What things?" "Whatever you have," you said. Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts--the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation.

And on top of these are all the graditude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full.

JOHN

The Salinas Valley is in Northern California.
You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
I don't very much believe in blood. I think when a man finds good or bad in his children he is seeing only what he planted in them after they cleared the womb. - Samuel Hamilton
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.
East of Eden was written by John Steinbeck, not Ernest Hemingway.

Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000655, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. The biblical account of Cain and Abel is echoed in the history of two generations of the Trask family in California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

This sprawling and often brutal novel, set in the rich farmlands of California's Salinas Valley, follows the intertwined destinies of two families--the Trasks and the Hamiltons--whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185074, 0241952492

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,116,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible