The descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

The descendants (2007)

by Kaui Hart Hemmings

English (37)  Dutch (2)  All languages (39)
This book surprised me. Recommended by a friend I didn't think it would be my thing but the plot sounded interesting enough.

I'm very glad I did. It's a quick easy read but wow it makes an impact. This is Hemmings first novel I believe but I shall be watching her closely.

It's funny and touching without becoming schmaltzy (which considering the plot it could have been). The reason I gave it 4 stars is because it's not consistent. Some parts seem slightly like filling.
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |
Hm, torn between giving 3 or 4 stars, I finally settled on 3.
The male perspective was rare to me and interesting to read, the book contained a lot of refreshing, realistic situations, like having to think of something funny or totally mundane in a situation where you're expected to be shocked or sad.
I liked the plot and wanted to continue reading, but somehow in the last 2-3 chapters, I completely lost interest in the characters and their fate. I don't know why. It left me shrugging my shoulders and thinking "whatever".
I'm looking forward to see the movie some day though. ( )
  borhap | Aug 27, 2013 |
Another one to be read before seeing the movie.
Liked it - probably like George Clooney better though. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
The wife of Matt King lies in a coma from a boat racing accident. Meanwhile he must decide on selling off a land inheritance that will effect all his living relatives. The Descendants is both poignant and funny, as Matt wrestles with being the parent-in-charge; carrying out his wife's last wish to be disconnected from life support and dealing with a surprise or two along the way. ( )
  hayduke | Apr 3, 2013 |
Yes, I read this because Alexander Payne made a movie. But wow, so glad I did. I have read many books over the years that have a first-person narrator who is wigging out with anxiety over problems, real and perceived. Most of those narrators I have wanted to slap. The whining, the angst, the self-indulgence just rankles me (maybe because it hits so close to home). But Hemmings' Matt King has the perfect narrative voice. He has REAL problems and earns every second of his emotional turmoil. I also love that the plot is utterly believable. Things don't necessarily turn out as you might expect, but it's done so right, and the characters roll with the punches well enough that you absolutely have to go with them. Supporting characters, setting, thematic elements, all good, good, good. Even incidents that in other writers' hands might play as cheap gags felt to me like moments of "yeah, crud like that happens, doesn't it." She just gets it right. I hope my library has more of her books. Hemmings has earned my continued interest. -cg ( )
  Carissa.Green | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Andy
The sun is shining, mynah birds are chattering, palm trees are swaying, so what.

Now a major motion picture starring George Clooney and directed by Alexander Payne

Fortunes have changed for the King family, descendants of Hawaiian royalty and one of the state’s largest landowners. Matthew King’s daughters—Scottie, a feisty ten-year-old, and Alex, a seventeen-year-old recovering drug addict—are out of control, and their charismatic, thrill-seeking mother, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident. She will soon be taken off life support. As Matt gathers his wife’s friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation is made worse by the sudden discovery that there’s one person who hasn’t been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair. Forced to examine what they owe not only to the living but to the dead, Matt, Scottie, and Alex take to the road to find Joanie’s lover, on a memorable journey that leads to unforeseen humor, growth, and profound revelations.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:39 -0400)

A descendant of royalty and one of the largest landowners in Hawaii, Matthew King struggles to deal with his out-of-control daughters--ten-year-old Scottie and seventeen-year-old Alex--as well as his comatose wife, whom they are about to remove from life support.… (more)

Kaui Hart Hemmings is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible