The descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

The descendants (2007)

by Kaui Hart Hemmings

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
One of my Off the shelf read. A story of a father with his daughters and bed ridden-about to die-Wife and complex relationships. I enjoyed it. Even though the language used was too bold (for some readers,i dont mind :P ) i laughed several times. Good humour, on time... yes, read this once ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I have always had a soft spot for books written by women from the point of view of a male character. I find them endearing. Men writing as women can often be a little unconvincing, with lots of lines like, ‘I jogged up the steps, my breasts bouncing lightly under my summery blouse’, or, ‘Suddenly, my period started.’ Women writing as men do not make these sorts of mistakes; you don't get things like, ‘I marched into the bathroom and urinated fiercely, remaining standing throughout,’ although I half-suspect that Grey by EL James is full of that kind of thing. But it's easier for them isn't it – thanks to the historical preponderance of male writers, women have plenty of exposure to how men think, whereas many men still find women a total mystery.

Why am I talking about this. I don't know. The Descendants does have a male narrator, a convincing one, though that is not the most interesting thing about the way the story's told. An expansion of one of Hemmings's earlier short stories, the novel is a bittersweet family drama played out in Hawai‘i, about a father trying to reestablish his relationship with his daughters after their mother is hospitalised. Still, the choice of narrator is an interesting decision, since the more conventional way to tell this story, perhaps, would have been to make it a classic coming-of-age tale from the point of view of one of the girls.

The tone is set by the admirably opinionated opening line:

The sun is shining, mynah birds are chattering, palm trees are swaying, so what.

Not all of the prose that follows is quite so sparky, though. As is often the case with books that try to reproduce the ‘numb’ feeling of dealing with a tragedy, the results can feel a little flat, and this isn't helped by the present-tense narration – not a technique that I dislike on principle, but here it somehow reinforces a sense that we are meandering through the day-to-day banalities as they happen, rather than looking back on the selected highlights of a story.

The daughters are extremely well drawn – one young and not fully aware of what's happening, the other teenaged and hormonal, both observed coolly by a father who loves them but who has never really got to know them. Looming lushly behind our cast are the Hawaiian islands, here richly contextualised: they are seen on the one hand as the product of a very specific imperialist history – our protagonist traces his family back to Hawaiian royalty and to the American sugar magnates that overthrew them, a descent on which, as the title suggests, much of the plot turns – and, on the other hand, as a modern retirement home for all the wealthy baby-boomers whose children are growing up in an unearned paradise:

I wonder if our offspring have all decided to give up. They'll never be senators or owners of a football team; they'll never be the West Coast president of NBC, the founder of Weight Watchers, the inventor of shopping carts, a prisoner of war, the number one supplier of the world's macadamia nuts. No, they'll do coke and smoke pot and take creative writing classes and laugh at us.

A dig at herself, perhaps: her prose certainly shows all the hallmarks of a creative writing graduate, inoffensive and thoughtful, concerned with parents and infidelity and daily frustrations. But it's intelligently done and I enjoyed it.

Right, that's the review done. Now I'm off to urinate fiercely, remaining standing throughout. ( )
1 vote Widsith | Apr 27, 2016 |
I saw the movie first and after I read the book I can tell it was one of those rare cases in which one complements the other. At first you think you can tell what sort of story this one is, but in time you learn that it is closer to reality and this novel is able to scape clichés when it comes to father and daughters relationship. It's a good read. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Really enjoyed starting right in the action, with a plot that could have been too fantastic if not written so well. The characters were interesting, and the father very real. Very human. ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
I wouldn’t have read this book if it wasn’t chosen by one of my Book Club members – we’re going to discuss it after watching the film together. I’ve tried reviewing this book over the last few days, but really I don’t know what to say about it apart from that I feel a bit ambivalent towards it. It is hard to have any sympathy for Joanie, the woman in the coma. I felt little sympathy for her husband, Matt either. I think we’re meant to like Scottie and to find her endearing, but I just found her irritating. I much preferred her sister, Alex.

My favourite character was Sid – Alex’s not-quite-boyfriend who was the one redeeming character in the book. There are enjoyable parts to the book and I didn’t hate it (even though my review might suggest otherwise!), but that’s about all I can find to say about it. I find that even though I finished it less than two weeks ago, the storyline is already fading.

I wonder if it’ll be a rare case where I like the film more than the book*?!

*It was! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
For Andy

Now a major motion picture starring George Clooney and directed by Alexander Payne

Fortunes have changed for the King family, descendants of Hawaiian royalty and one of the state’s largest landowners. Matthew King’s daughters—Scottie, a feisty ten-year-old, and Alex, a seventeen-year-old recovering drug addict—are out of control, and their charismatic, thrill-seeking mother, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident. She will soon be taken off life support. As Matt gathers his wife’s friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation is made worse by the sudden discovery that there’s one person who hasn’t been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair. Forced to examine what they owe not only to the living but to the dead, Matt, Scottie, and Alex take to the road to find Joanie’s lover, on a memorable journey that leads to unforeseen humor, growth, and profound revelations.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

A descendant of royalty and one of the largest landowners in Hawaii, Matthew King struggles to deal with his out-of-control daughters--ten-year-old Scottie and seventeen-year-old Alex--as well as his comatose wife, whom they are about to remove from life support.… (more)

Kaui Hart Hemmings is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible