dismiss

The Descendants (2007)

by Kaui Hart Hemmings

A descendant of royalty and one of the largest landowners in Hawaii, Matthew King struggles to deal with his out-of-control daughters--ten-year-old Scottie and seventeen-year-old Alex--as well as his comatose wife, whom they are about to remove from lifesupport.
Recently added bynaratemari, Arina40, Jennicareads

English (58)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
The characters were not endearing and other than they were going through a hard time we not relatable. There was not a lot of environmental descriptions and far to much pity partying. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 30, 2020 |
It's literally depressing 80% of the time. Part of me wanted to stop reading but then I couldn't put it down. I love stories based Hawaii ( )
  smooody106 | Mar 31, 2020 |
I love to read books that are set in the place I’m reading them, and I happen to be in the first place I discovered that joy many years ago- Hawaii. “The Descendants”, by Kaui Hart Hemmings, was a moving, quick read. The book is a portrait of a family in a defining moment- the letting go of a wife and mother who is in a coma. The journey of accepting the faults and flaws of one another and respecting the pain that others experience was fully realized and entirely real. There’s a rainstorm today, just as in the climax of the story. What a perfect day to stay in and read! I’ll have to catch the movie soon! ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
Hemmings tells the story of Matt King, a descendant of Hawaiian royalty (pre-statehood) who's dealing with the results his wife Joanie's recent boating accident and his larger family's desire to sell off the land that was passed down through the family.

Much of the story focuses on Matt's attempts to care for his two daughters, Scottie and Alex, who he never really took the time to get to know before.

The story is funny in parts, touching in parts. I enjoyed listening to The Descendants. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
What do you do when your wife leaves you with two daughters you have never really known? Matt has to find out how to be a father to Scottie and Alex, plus make the three of them into a family again. You can't imagine how Alex grows up and handles this along with her family.
Deb F. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
For Andy
The sun is shining, mynah birds are chattering, palm trees are swaying, so what.

Kaui Hart Hemmings is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,979,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible