The Purgatorio by Dante Alighieri

The Purgatorio

by Dante Alighieri

Series: The Divine Comedy (2)

English (24)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
In which the boringly repentant people get punished horribly, because otherwise they wouldn't REALLY be repenting. ( )
  Audacity88 | Feb 7, 2014 |
There are two kinds of people who read Dante. The first kind gets all excited about people stuck head down in piles of shit, and wishes that the adulterers and libertines could just keep on doing what they did in the real world, because it's so romantic. The second kind gets all excited about griffins pulling chariots, the relationship between the political and the religious, and the neoplatonic ascent from beautiful woman to Beauty and God. I am the second kind; I can see the pull of the first kind, and I understand it, but really. The whole thing just gets better the further on it goes. Hell is like a decent TV drama with an episode each week, say, House. Purgatorio (and, from memory, Paradiso) are to Inferno what The Wire is to House. Sometimes you just want to watch 45 minutes of cool stuff; sometimes you want something a bit less immediately gratifying, but a more substantial. And this is the substance.

Luckily, the Hollanders are here to translate this thing for you and to give you the insider knowledge you'll need to get a hold of that substance. It isn't easy, unless you're a medievalist who knows the psalms by heart in latin, which I am not and, I'm guessing, neither are you. Because those people are not writing or reading goodreads reviews. They are studying ancient manuscripts and debating whether that letter there is an iota or a lambda. Good for them. Good for the head in a bucket of shit loving people. Good for all. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
I listened to this book on CD instead of actually reading it. The version that I had had an explanation at the beginning of each verse to help you understand and then read the verse.

In this book, you travel with Dante through Purgatory and he cleanses himself of the seven deadly sins.

I really liked this book. I forgot how much I liked Greek Mythology (which I expected only because of the Inferno). It has pushed me to look into more mythology again. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
I found this just as interesting as Inferno. The concepts, people and theology that Dante described for us is fascinating, if you are interested in that sort of thing at all. Luckily this is a fairly easy to read translation. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 4, 2013 |
What is there to say about this that others haven't said better? The language is beautiful, and the ideas -- well, reading it, I realised I knew all about Dante's work without ever having read it before. That tells you how pervasive they are.

It's an amazing work. I don't know what translation I read: it was a free download. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Sayers, Dorothy L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinclair, John D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singleton, Charles S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wicksteed, Philip Henrysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To course across more kindly waters now my talent's little vessel lifts her sails leaving behind herself a sea so cruel; and what I sing will be that second kingdom, in which the human soul is cleansed of sin, becoming worthy of ascent to Heaven. (Per correr miglior acque alza le vele omai la navicella del mio ingegno, che lascia dietro a se mar si crudele; e cantero di quel secondo regno dove l'umano spirito si purga e di salire al ciel diventa degno.)

Beginning with Dante's liberation from Hell, Purgatory relates his ascent, accompanied by Virgil, of the Mount of Purgatory a mountain of nine levels, formed from rock forced upwards when God threw Satan into depths of the earth. As he travels through the first seven levels, Dante observes the sinners who are waiting for their release into Paradise, and through these encounters he is himself transformed into a stronger and better man. For it is only when he has learned from each of these levels that he can ascend to the gateway to Heaven: the Garden of Eden. The second part of one of the greatest epic poems, Purgatory is an enthralling Christian allegory of sin, redemption and ultimate enlightenment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:22 -0400)

Beginning with Dante's liberation from Hell, 'Purgatory' relates his ascent, accompanied by Virgil, of the Mount of Purgatory - a mountain of nine levels, formed from rock forced upwards when God threw Satan into the depths of the earth.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0140440461, 0140441050, 0140444424, 0140448969, 0451531426

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253179262, 0253336481

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible