The Divine Comedy II Purgatory by Dante…

The Divine Comedy II Purgatory

by Dante Alighieri

Other authors: Dorothy L. Sayers (Translator)

Series: The Divine Comedy (2)

English (27)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
The Hollanders once again do a fine job of pulling the reader along, with a clear translation and very helpful notes that help to clarify Dante's context. I just dipped into them when I had a particular question. (Can't imagine how long it would take to read them all). Things I learned about Purgatory:
Thomas Merton's autobiography, The Seven Storey Mountain, borrows it's title from Dante's vision of Mt. Purgatory.
The Garden of Eden is preserved at the peak of the mountain.
Next stop: Paradise! ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I recently heard a lecture by Roberto Manguel at my local museum. During the question and answer period, he mentioned that he reads a canto from Dante every morning as part of his routine. Having already read *Inferno* last year, I decided to experiment with Manguel's meditative approach as I continued with *Purgatory*. I must confess only a limited success here: admittedly, I am too far removed from Dante's 14th century Italian world to enjoy his poetry in a 'spiritual' or deeply aesthetic, contemplative sense. (Perhaps this makes me a pagan in the world of literature?) To be sure, I *do* appreciate the *Divine Comedy*, but it requires no small degree of effort to grasp the context and backgrounds of the historical characters Dante employs. Perhaps one day, you know, when I can speak and read Italian like Manguel (and go get a degree in medieval history), I will be able to appreciate Dante as a transcendent muse... but for now, I can only appreciate Dante like a student awes at the complexity and multidimensional properties of a distant text.

To this point of entering Dante's world as an outsider, I continued to appreciate Mark Musa's translation and editorial efforts with this volume. After reading his translation of *Inferno* and comparing it with a few others, I decided to continue on with him for *Purgatory* and *Paradise* (which is presently sitting on my bookshelf as well). In addition to the helpful, substantive introductions to each volume, he begins each canto with a brief outline of what is about to happen in the narrative, and then concludes each canto with a relatively comprehensive commentary. For me, this commentary was absolutely vital: I'm not sure if I would have understood/appreciated a fraction of what I've been able to take away from Dante so far without it.

One final note about Dante: I can't help but marvel at the depth to which Dante's vision of the afterlife influenced the evolution of Christianity. Of course, Dante himself was deeply influenced by medieval church thought (and especially, indelibly, by Thomas Aquinas), but encountering his interpretations of, say, the stories of Cain and Able or the Tower of Babel leaves one to wonder at just the extent to which Dante influenced later theological endeavors. In hindsight, many of the images and assumptions I had as a young child about heaven and hell didn't necessarily come from the Bible directly -- they actually came from Dante, but I certainly didn't realize it at the time.
  jamesshelley | Nov 22, 2015 |
Mancano i primi due canti. Inizia da p. 157
  ciabanza | Jul 19, 2015 |
In which the boringly repentant people get punished horribly, because otherwise they wouldn't REALLY be repenting. ( )
  Audacity88 | Feb 7, 2014 |
There are two kinds of people who read Dante. The first kind gets all excited about people stuck head down in piles of shit, and wishes that the adulterers and libertines could just keep on doing what they did in the real world, because it's so romantic. The second kind gets all excited about griffins pulling chariots, the relationship between the political and the religious, and the neoplatonic ascent from beautiful woman to Beauty and God. I am the second kind; I can see the pull of the first kind, and I understand it, but really. The whole thing just gets better the further on it goes. Hell is like a decent TV drama with an episode each week, say, House. Purgatorio (and, from memory, Paradiso) are to Inferno what The Wire is to House. Sometimes you just want to watch 45 minutes of cool stuff; sometimes you want something a bit less immediately gratifying, but a more substantial. And this is the substance.

Luckily, the Hollanders are here to translate this thing for you and to give you the insider knowledge you'll need to get a hold of that substance. It isn't easy, unless you're a medievalist who knows the psalms by heart in latin, which I am not and, I'm guessing, neither are you. Because those people are not writing or reading goodreads reviews. They are studying ancient manuscripts and debating whether that letter there is an iota or a lambda. Good for them. Good for the head in a bucket of shit loving people. Good for all. ( )
1 vote stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |

Sinclair, John D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singleton, Charles S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singleton, Charles S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wicksteed, Philip Henrysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To course across more kindly waters now my talent's little vessel lifts her sails leaving behind herself a sea so cruel; and what I sing will be that second kingdom, in which the human soul is cleansed of sin, becoming worthy of ascent to Heaven. (Per correr miglior acque alza le vele omai la navicella del mio ingegno, che lascia dietro a se mar si crudele; e cantero di quel secondo regno dove l'umano spirito si purga e di salire al ciel diventa degno.)
A glance at the Editions list for this work show that most entries are of various translations of the poem - some of these contain commentaries and other introductory material but the core of the book is the poem itself. Accurate separation into works which contain the same extraneous text would be a time-consuming task.

Beginning with Dante's liberation from Hell, Purgatory relates his ascent, accompanied by Virgil, of the Mount of Purgatory a mountain of nine levels, formed from rock forced upwards when God threw Satan into depths of the earth. As he travels through the first seven levels, Dante observes the sinners who are waiting for their release into Paradise, and through these encounters he is himself transformed into a stronger and better man. For it is only when he has learned from each of these levels that he can ascend to the gateway to Heaven: the Garden of Eden. The second part of one of the greatest epic poems, Purgatory is an enthralling Christian allegory of sin, redemption and ultimate enlightenment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

Beginning with Dante's liberation from Hell, 'Purgatory' relates his ascent, accompanied by Virgil, of the Mount of Purgatory - a mountain of nine levels, formed from rock forced upwards when God threw Satan into the depths of the earth.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0140440461, 0140441050, 0140444424, 0140448969, 0451531426

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253179262, 0253336481

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible