Little Pink Slips by Sally Koslow

Little Pink Slips

by Sally Koslow

A magazine gets taken over by an eccentric celebrity and mayhem ensues. The author was formerly editor-in-chief at McCall's, which was renamed Rosie after new boss Rosie O'Donnell... but this may be purely coincidental. ( )
  ennie | Nov 25, 2011 |
Meh. This book was everything I expected, and I'd hoped it would be more. I didn't relate to the main character at all. I wanted her to be a little bit spunkier and funnier and more self-aware. She didn't have any perspective on her overpriviledged life, which made it hard for me to hang with her. Overall, a diverting read, and I got through the whole thing, but ... well ... just not enough "there" there. ( )
  mkhobson | Apr 13, 2010 |
Little Pink Slips is the story of Magnolia Gold, a North Dakotan turned New Yorker who now is editor-in-chief at Lady magazine. Magnolia is professionally successful and incredibly focused on her career. Cue intense workplace drama.

Although I really enjoyed the character of Magnolia, I did not enjoy anyone else in the book. (In Molly Marx, I loved everyone, even the obnoxious and selfish characters, because they had depth and believability). Magnolia could not catch a break in this book, and it wore me out. I confess, I am not a huge fan of workplace drama. (Seriously, even The Office depresses me: I dread the thought of life in an office environment surrounded by people you dislike.) I found myself rooting for her to find a way to walk right out of the pages and find new friends, a new job and new coworkers.

Perhaps my expectation were two high after Molly Marx, but I was underwhelmed with this book. I loved The Late, Lamented Molly Marx, and I liked some elements of this book, but it went on too long and involved too many people I didn't care about. I think Sally Koslow is a great writer, but Little Pink Slips lacked the combination of humor and insight that drew me into Molly Marx. I was disappointed, but Koslow has proven herself capable of writing a multitude of three-dimensional characters, and I'm still eagerly awaiting her next novel, With Friend Like These, due out in summer of 2010. ( )
  nomadreader | Oct 10, 2009 |
A fun and quick read, Little Pink Slips is filled with amusing characters and humorous situations. Magnolia is a great character, you can easily see how ambitious she is, but also down to earth and generous. I actually enjoyed the character of Bebe Blake as well. Most of the time, she is crude and awful to people, but she had moments of goodness as well. Author Sally Koslow keeps the prose action and comedy packed, making you want to keep reading about Magnolia's adventures. The ending was not my favorite (it was way too far fetched), but overall this was a fun read. ( )
  jedziedz | May 12, 2009 |
Koslow's Little Pink Slips is about Magnolia Gold's fall from editorial grace after the magazine Lady is taken over by the pugnacious Bebe Blake. Magnolia attempts to keep the job that she once loved while keeping up with her single life and fighting the heads of the publishing company. As far as first novels go, Koslow's description of the publishing world is colorful and Magnolia is the heroine that anyone can love. Even though the relationships between characters seem weak at certain times, Little Pink Slips is a good read. ( )
  unknown_zoso05 | Jul 5, 2008 |

On the towering stilettos of The Devil Wears Prada comes a biting, mordantly funny debut novel about the extremely unladylike business of publishing a very ladylike magazine.

Once there was a little girl from Fargo, North Dakota, named Maggie Goldfarb who grew up, moved to Manhattan, and morphed into Magnolia Gold, the highly paid editor in chief of Lady magazine. With a corner office, a designer wardrobe, and dozens of loyal employees, Magnolia has been hired to update the dowager of women's magazines. She's on her way to giving Lady a face-lift when she is ignominiously replaced by Bebe Blake, a brash television personality who remakes the magazine in her own hilariously inappropriate image. With her ketchup-red hair, skintight clothes, and penchant for "boy toys," Bebe is more out of control than a speeding limo. Maddeningly unpredictable, she confounds everyone at the newly christened Bebe with her personal vision of what a women's magazine should be, and baffles them further with her bawdy sense of humor and over-the-top generosity.

Shunted off to the darkest corners of executive purgatory-an overlooked back office she shares with a cockroach or two-Magnolia seethes from the sidelines as Bebe turns her beloved, once-profitable Lady into a sideshow. As things go from bad to worse, Magnolia fears that her career will never recover, but even she can't predict how deeply satisfying her eventual triumph will be. And not just at work: amidst the frenzy of backstabbing at the office, Magnolia finds Mr. Right in a city of Mr. Not-Quites.

Inspired by real-life events, Little Pink Slips is about the fall, rise, and sweet revenge of a woman who witnesses corporate shenanigans at their most flagrant. Filled with gossipy revelations about celebrity obsession and behind-the-scenes details of the media business in all its malfeasant glory, this novel is delicious, can't-stop-reading fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:30 -0400)

Inspired by real-life events, Little pink slips is about the fall, rise, and sweet revenge of a woman who witnesses corporate shenanigans at their most flagrant. Filled with gossipy revelations about celebrity obsession and behind-the-scenes details of the media business in all its malfeasant glory, this novel is delicious, can't-stop-reading fun.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible