Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass,…

Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American slave (original 1845; edition 2003)

by Frederick Douglass, Robert G. O'Meally

A dramatic autobiography of the great 19th century black leader and abolitionist.
Member:webaugur
Title:Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American slave
Authors:Frederick Douglass
Other authors:Robert G. O'Meally
Info:New York : Barnes & Noble Classics, c2003.
Collections:Home Library, Your library
Tags:American Literature

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass (1845)

Autobiography of Josiah Henson: An Inspiration for Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom by Josiah Henson (HistReader)
    HistReader: Both men discuss their treatment and lifestyle under subjection as slaves.
    The Life of Olaudah Equiano by Olaudah Equiano (joririchardson)
    To Be a Slave by Julius Lester (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: If your enjoyed the poignant narrative of Frederick Douglass, you will be moved by the perserved accounts of slave life in this book.
    The Mind of Frederick Douglass by Waldo E. Jr. Martin (eromsted)

English (96)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (101)
I would have given it 5 stars, but it was very difficult to get through some parts because of the absolute brutality he faced. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Frederick Douglass recounts his life as a slave and his eventual freedom. He endured beatings, whippings, hunger, and multiple setbacks before finally escaping the clutches of slavery. He tells his story with quiet grace, but with a steely core that demonstrates how resilient he had to be to survive. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I was really looking forward to how he escaped slavery. And then he patiently explained why he didn't put those details into the narrative. Similarly he did not spare naming those who were cruel, but in cases where it might "embarras" those who were kind and good, he refrained from naming them. He did that so well.

Wow, it takes a long time from society to change from the idea that slavery is acceptable to where all men truly are accepted as equal. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
This next book is a book by the name of Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, by none other than Frederick Douglass. I was personally drawn to this book because I love books about our history and how it's changed over time. This book was written in 1845 in Massachusetts. This book is about Frederick Douglass, at the age of 10, he is sent to live in Baltimore with Hugh and Sophia Auld. Douglass overhears a conversation that whites will maintain authority over the blacks as long as they are uneducated. Sadly as Douglass is in the works of educating himself he is sent to other slave owners named Edward Covey, (Covey was the slave breaker). Douglass decides to fight back against Covey, and Covey is surprised, and stopps whipping Douglass. Douglass is hired to William Freeland, a master that wasn't as harsh.. starts educating his slaves and plans his escape. Sadly his plans are discovered and is sent to Jail, then afterwards sent to Baltimore to the Aulds where he learns trade. Douglass escapes to New York where he finds the love of his life.

I really like this book because as I mentioned before I like books about our history. This shows how hard life really is. And this morning when I made the hardest decision of the day (whether or not I should sleep In an extra hour) this book really helped me come to reality and really put a say on how good my life is. That's why this book deserves a 10/10. ( )
  CKelly.ELA4 | May 28, 2020 |
I was surprised how evenhanded his account was, when it had every right to be much more emotionally charged. I was also surprised that the dry, straightforward manner in which Douglass writes did not result in a boring book. On the contrary, it was quite engaging the whole way through. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |

Frederick Douglassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, Houston A., Jr.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blight, David W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dworkin, IraEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gomes, Peter J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Meally, Robert G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was born in Tuckahoe, near Hillsborough, and about twelve miles from Easton, in Talbot country, Maryland.

Legacy Library: Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Frederick Douglass's legacy profile.

See Frederick Douglass's author page.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300087012, 0300088310

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible