Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

Silver Bay

by Jojo Moyes

English (21)  German (1)  All (22)
Romantic, charming, and full of surprising characters, this early work from a popular author is not one to miss. Mike Dormer is climbing the ladder in a prestigious land development firm in London. He has made partner, is engaged to the boss’s daughter, and lives in luxury. His entire life appears to be perfect, that is until a land deal falls through on a high end resort project and he is forced to quickly scout out a new property on the shores of Australia. After a 30 hour flight, he finds himself in the small community of Silver Bay. He expects to get in, gather information on the site, schmooze the locals, and then get on with his life with a hefty profit in his pocket. What he doesn’t expect is how deeply his life will be affected by the locals he encounters, especially the mysterious Liza McCullen whose mysterious past is a closely kept secret. She has lived peacefully in Silver Bay with her daughter for five years, but the arrival of this outsider might just put an end to their quiet way of life.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Kathleen Mostyn, who is 76, owns the ramshackle, eight-room Silver Bay Hotel on a secluded beach in Australia. She sets the novel in motion by introducing herself and revealing "when I was 17, I became famous for catching the biggest shark New South Wales had ever seen'. We then meet her troubled daughter, Liza, and her ten year old granddaughter, Hannah, along with the quirky characters that you would expect in such a setting. The small town exists on tourism, primarily dolphin and whale watching boat trips.

Londoner Mike Dormer is looking for a place in Australia to put up a big spa/hotel that will provide all kinds of water sports. He keeps that information quiet, but moves into the rundown Silver Bay Hotel and becomes involved with the locals. As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike’s and Liza’s worlds crash.

The book is told from the point of view of quite a few different people and the book would have benefited without at least two of them. In a mysterious twist, one of Liza's narrations refers to the death of her four year old daughter, Letty. There are mysteries to be solved as the story progresses and a few plot twists that provide an added dimension to the book. This is not an action-packed story, but rather a slow, charming tale about the town, it's people and the sea animals that inhabit Silver Bay.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
I was surprised by this book and ended up enjoying the read. Looking forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  bookbatty | Nov 6, 2016 |
As always with JoJo, I become attached to her characters immediately. With that said, this story line took forever to hook you. I tired of it half way through but did finish it as I had guessed the mystery and wanted to see if I was correct. ( )
  BONS | Aug 10, 2016 |
Point of reference - I gave Me Before You four stars. This is a little more heavy-handed, a little more soap opera, but also just a little lighter. Just as charming, though, in my opinion. Definitely good enough to make me want to continue to read more by the author (though not immediately). I think I like Moyes in much the same way I like Maeve Binchy, though I've not yet read enough of either to be sure. Good people doing their best despite making mistakes; no serious dysfunction or bleak drama.

[H]istory is what it is, no matter how unpalatable."

"I've never yet met a man who didn't think he could turn the world on its axis if he wanted something badly enough."
(This would make a great book discussion question. Do you believe it true? *I* definitely see that almost every man I know believes this. Also, that almost no women do. Do you see this in other novels you read? More in older books... do you think the advancement of women's rights is making a difference?)" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Liza McCullen non potrà mai fuggire dal suo passato. Ma le spiagge incontaminate di Silver Bay e la sua piccola, affettuosa comunità sembrano poterle offrire la libertà e la sicurezza di cui ha bisogno, se non per se stessa almeno per la figlia Hannah. Fino al giorno in cui nell'albergo gestito dalla zia Kathleen non arriva Mike Dormer, trasferitosi da Londra sulle coste australiane per avviare un hotel di lusso. Per lui si tratta solo di un'altra tappa nella sua folgorante carriera, un'altra occasione per guadagnare un sacco di soldi. Ma per Liza il suo arrivo rappresenta una minaccia: per la tranquillità economica della famiglia e per le balene che a Silver Bay trovano rifugio. E soprattutto per la determinazione a non innamorarsi mai più...
added by serendipity74 | editibs.it

FOR LOCKIE, FOR EVERYTHING HE IS,
AND EVERYTHING HE WILL BE
PROLOGUE - My name is Kathleen Wittier Mostyn, and when I was seventeen I became famous for catching the biggest shark New South Wales had ever seen: a gray nurse with an eye so mean it still looked like it wanted to rip me in two several days after we'd laid it out.
CHAPTER I - If you stuck your hand in right up to the wrist, you could usually uncover at least three different kinds of biscuit in Moby One's jar.

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the eccentric ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel - the enigmatic skipper Liza McCullen, her ten-year-old daughter, and her legendary shark-catching aunt Kathleen, as well as the crews of the local whale-watching boats - swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. He is left wondering who really has the greater right to the bay's waters.

As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike's and Liza's worlds collide, with dramatic results. New, unforeseen hazards emerge to confront both the creatures and the McCullen women. How close can you get, before you end up destroying what you love?

"A surprising and moving romance set in an old-fashioned seaside town on the verge of unwelcome change Liza McCullen will never fully escape her past. But the unspoiled beaches and tight-knit community of Silver Bay offer the freedom and safety she craves--if not for herself, then for her young daughter, Hannah. That is, until Mike Dormer arrives as a guest in her aunt's hotel. The mild-mannered Englishman with his too-smart clothes and distracting eyes could destroy everything Liza has worked so hard to protect: not only the family business and the bay that harbors her beloved whales, but also her conviction that she will never love--never deserve to love--again. For his part, Mike Dormer is expecting just another business deal--an easy job kick-starting a resort in a small seaside town ripe for development. But he finds that he doesn't quite know what to make of the eccentric inhabitants of the ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel, especially not enigmatic Liza McCullen, and their claim to the surrounding waters. As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, Mike's and Liza's worlds collide in this hugely affecting and irresistible tale full of Jojo Moyes' signature humor and generosity."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible