Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo by Jojo Moyes

Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo

by Jojo Moyes (Author), Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)

Member:landslide
Title:Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo
Authors:Jojo Moyes (Author)
Other authors:Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)
Info:Porto Editora
Collections:Lido, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:contemporâneo, ficção, romance

Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

Liza McCullen will never fully escape her past. But the unspoiled beaches and tight-knit community of Silver Bay offer the freedom and safety she craves—if not for herself, then for her young daughter, Hannah. That is, until Mike Dormer arrives as a guest in her aunt’s hotel.
The mild-mannered Englishman with his too-smart clothes and distracting eyes could destroy everything Liza has worked so hard to protect: not only the family business and the bay that harbors her beloved whales, but also her conviction that she will never love—never deserve to love—again.

For his part, Mike Dormer is expecting just another business deal—an easy job kick-starting a resort in a small seaside town ripe for development. But he finds that he doesn’t quite know what to make of the eccentric inhabitants of the ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel, especially not enigmatic Liza McCullen, and their claim to the surrounding waters ( )
  cjordan916 | Jul 12, 2014 |
Although Liza and her daughter Hannah will always be haunted by their past, they’re happy with their life in Silver Bay. Liza loves the hotel where she lives with her sister, the freedom of the sea, the acceptance of her community, and her lack of romantic entanglements. All of these things are threatened by the arrival of the handsome Mike Dormer. Mike arrives expecting to make a quick visit to start the process of building a resort and move on. Instead he finds himself deeply involved with the inhabitants of Silver Bay, leading him to question his commitment to his business-focused life.

Getting into this book took me a little while. This was partly because of the four different perspectives in the first four chapters and partly because some of these chapters began with info dumps about the history of Silver Bay. I was happy I persevered because a few more chapters made it clear that the different perspectives and details of Silver Bay made this a very rich story. I loved seeing different characters from several other characters’ perspectives. It made each character feel more real and well-rounded to see both how they thought and how others thought of them. I also enjoyed the backdrop Silver Bay created. Perhaps because I’m someone who loves nonfiction, some of my favorite fiction is that which depicts a way of life I’m unfamiliar with. Learning about living in a small, Australian community which made its money from whale-watching while I learned about the characters was a fascinating and enjoyable experience. This did involve a small amount of sad animal stories, but things resolved happily enough that it didn’t impact my overall enjoyment of the book.

As with a previous book I read by Jojo Moyes, The Girl You Left Behind, right and wrong are far from obvious. Getting so many different perspectives helped with that. I was recently bothered by the way When the Cypress Whispers tries to demonize the main character’s generally nice fiance, clearly setting us up for her to leave him for someone else. While the situation in this book is similar, with me rooting for a romance with someone other than the fiancee, the author doesn’t make it easy. We clearly see both the good and the bad of both the character and the fiancee, making us share the main character’s indecision. As with Moyes’ previous book, Silver Bay also does a great job making you empathize with every character and reveals the characters’ secrets slowly without ever manipulating the story in a weird way to avoid an earlier reveal. I wasn’t completely won over by the ending, which was revealed in such a way that one of the character’s hard work finding a solution felt like a fortuitous last-minute rescue, but overall this book gave me the intriguing, emotional ride I expected from a book by Jojo Moyes.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Jojo Moyes is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. She writes stories about people who are realistic yet each book has a unique storyline. Her books often focus on a topic that causes one of the characters to becomes a better person. In Silver Bay, that character is Mike. He is a young businessman climbing the proverbial ladder to success, which for him includes an engagement to the bosses daughter. His rise to fame meets a road block when he is sent to New South Wales and encounters a group of people who still believe in a simpler way of living and appreciate the sea and its creatures. As Mike gets to know these people, he begins to question what is really important in life and who and what he really is. He also develops an affection for a young mother and her daughter. This could be the makings of a great Harlequin book, but that's where Ms. Moyes differs from many authors. She is able to twist in multiple and complex plots that make this book so much more than a sweet romance. It tugged at my heartstrings and satisfied my wish for a really good read.
Silver Bay is recommended to all fans of JoJo Moyes and all hopeless nature lovers or romantics. It would make a wonderful beach read, but would it be equally good to enjoy while snuggling in a cozy chair with a blanket.
I thank NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read and review this title. ( )
  c.archer | May 16, 2014 |
I was approved of an ARC copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. This review in its entirety was originally posted at caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2014/04/28/review-silver-bay/

Silver Bay was an interesting read, though it took a few chapters to get into the story and to acquaint oneself with the characters. The characters telling their story were interesting, their interactions varying. I wondered a bit why Greg’s perspective was included at all, he seemed the least developed from the rest of the characters. I enjoyed reading Kathleen’s chapters and I think Hannah’s is my favourite; she’s still a child but given her experiences she has a very mature take on the situation and I really felt for her and how she wasn’t able to express her feelings the way she wanted to or ought to.

Reading Liza and Mike’s chapters and the initial conflict between them–and later their budding relationship–was a little frustrating to read. Liza came off as unlikeable to me at first with her standoffish-ness that was difficult to understand and no other scene early to balance those characteristics out. Likewise with Mike; his personality seemed rather bland and I never quite had a sense of what kind of person he really was, even after his character journey. I also found it frustrating how there's a measure of secrecy around his decisions throughout the novel. Not divulging his decision making to anyone added–perhaps needlessly–to the drama.

Silver Bay was interesting once it hit its stride a few chapters in though the twists and turns on the drama can be a little too much at times. Nonetheless, I think fans of JoJo Moyes’ books will enjoy this. ( )
  caffeinatedlife | May 2, 2014 |

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the eccentric ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel - the enigmatic skipper Liza McCullen, her ten-year-old daughter, and her legendary shark-catching aunt Kathleen, as well as the crews of the local whale-watching boats - swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. He is left wondering who really has the greater right to the bay's waters.

As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike's and Liza's worlds collide, with dramatic results. New, unforeseen hazards emerge to confront both the creatures and the McCullen women. How close can you get, before you end up destroying what you love?

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the hotel swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. Originally published: London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2007.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,969,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible