Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo by Jojo Moyes

Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo

by Jojo Moyes, Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)

2341949,373 (3.57)5
Member:landslide
Title:Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo
Authors:Jojo Moyes (Author)
Other authors:Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)
Info:Porto Editora
Collections:Lido, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:contemporâneo, ficção, romance

Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

English (18)  German (1)  All languages (19)
Kathleen Mostyn, who is 76, owns the ramshackle, eight-room Silver Bay Hotel on a secluded beach in Australia. She sets the novel in motion by introducing herself and revealing "when I was 17, I became famous for catching the biggest shark New South Wales had ever seen'. We then meet her troubled daughter, Liza, and her ten year old granddaughter, Hannah, along with the quirky characters that you would expect in such a setting. The small town exists on tourism, primarily dolphin and whale watching boat trips.

Londoner Mike Dormer is looking for a place in Australia to put up a big spa/hotel that will provide all kinds of water sports. He keeps that information quiet, but moves into the rundown Silver Bay Hotel and becomes involved with the locals. As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike’s and Liza’s worlds crash.

The book is told from the point of view of quite a few different people and the book would have benefited without at least two of them. In a mysterious twist, one of Liza's narrations refers to the death of her four year old daughter, Letty. There are mysteries to be solved as the story progresses and a few plot twists that provide an added dimension to the book. This is not an action-packed story, but rather a slow, charming tale about the town, it's people and the sea animals that inhabit Silver Bay. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 29, 2016 |
Point of reference - I gave Me Before You four stars. This is a little more heavy-handed, a little more soap opera, but also just a little lighter. Just as charming, though, in my opinion. Definitely good enough to make me want to continue to read more by the author (though not immediately). I think I like Moyes in much the same way I like Maeve Binchy, though I've not yet read enough of either to be sure. Good people doing their best despite making mistakes; no serious dysfunction or bleak drama.

[H]istory is what it is, no matter how unpalatable."

"I've never yet met a man who didn't think he could turn the world on its axis if he wanted something badly enough."
(This would make a great book discussion question. Do you believe it true? *I* definitely see that almost every man I know believes this. Also, that almost no women do. Do you see this in other novels you read? More in older books... do you think the advancement of women's rights is making a difference?)" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Again, wish Goodreads did 1/2 stars because I would have given this 4 1/2.

This was quite an involved story with a good cast of characters, some not fully realized although I wish they had been. Mike's sister, Monica, pretty much deserves a story onto herself.

I acknowledge that for many the ending might be contrived, but I liked it. You can go through a period of reading too many Shakespearean tragedy endings and then come to expect it. I expected it here and was glad to get something a little more palatable.

A good read (or listen as the case may be). ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Liza and her daughter Hannah live with Liza’s Aunt Kathleen, at a small beach hotel in Australia. It’s popular with tourists for observing whales and dolphins, although there’s a worrying tendency to attract noisy boats. Liza clearly has a tragic secret in her past, and is very protective of Hannah.

Then a smartly suited man from England arrives. Mike is uncomfortable at first, feeling out of place. He quickly makes friends with Hannah, and is quite attracted to Liza, but also stirs up some bad feeling, particularly when the locals discover just why he’s there...

It took me some time to get into this book. Yet, slowly, I found myself drawn into the lives of this small community. I found myself caring more about these people and their everyday lives. By the time I was about half way through, I was totally hooked. Jojo Moyes has a great writing style that drew me in, kept me reading, and made me believe in her story, even at the end when - if I’m entirely honest - reality felt a little suspended.

Great writing, gentle story; recommended for anyone who enjoys this kind of women's fiction that's a little deeper than average. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is an OK book by Jojo Moyes - liked her more recent ones better. The ending was just too, too perfect. Real life just doesn't turn out this well most of the time. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jun 9, 2015 |
Liza McCullen non potrà mai fuggire dal suo passato. Ma le spiagge incontaminate di Silver Bay e la sua piccola, affettuosa comunità sembrano poterle offrire la libertà e la sicurezza di cui ha bisogno, se non per se stessa almeno per la figlia Hannah. Fino al giorno in cui nell'albergo gestito dalla zia Kathleen non arriva Mike Dormer, trasferitosi da Londra sulle coste australiane per avviare un hotel di lusso. Per lui si tratta solo di un'altra tappa nella sua folgorante carriera, un'altra occasione per guadagnare un sacco di soldi. Ma per Liza il suo arrivo rappresenta una minaccia: per la tranquillità economica della famiglia e per le balene che a Silver Bay trovano rifugio. E soprattutto per la determinazione a non innamorarsi mai più...
added by serendipity74 | editibs.it

FOR LOCKIE, FOR EVERYTHING HE IS,
AND EVERYTHING HE WILL BE
PROLOGUE - My name is Kathleen Wittier Mostyn, and when I was seventeen I became famous for catching the biggest shark New South Wales had ever seen: a gray nurse with an eye so mean it still looked like it wanted to rip me in two several days after we'd laid it out.
CHAPTER I - If you stuck your hand in right up to the wrist, you could usually uncover at least three different kinds of biscuit in Moby One's jar.

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the eccentric ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel - the enigmatic skipper Liza McCullen, her ten-year-old daughter, and her legendary shark-catching aunt Kathleen, as well as the crews of the local whale-watching boats - swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. He is left wondering who really has the greater right to the bay's waters.

As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike's and Liza's worlds collide, with dramatic results. New, unforeseen hazards emerge to confront both the creatures and the McCullen women. How close can you get, before you end up destroying what you love?

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the hotel swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. Originally published: London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2007.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,901,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible