Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo by Jojo Moyes

Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo

by Jojo Moyes, Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)

Member:landslide
Title:Silver Bay - A Baía do Desejo
Authors:Jojo Moyes (Author)
Other authors:Elsa T. S. Vieira (Translator)
Info:Porto Editora
Collections:Lido, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:contemporâneo, ficção, romance

Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
Again, wish Goodreads did 1/2 stars because I would have given this 4 1/2.

This was quite an involved story with a good cast of characters, some not fully realized although I wish they had been. Mike's sister, Monica, pretty much deserves a story onto herself.

I acknowledge that for many the ending might be contrived, but I liked it. You can go through a period of reading too many Shakespearean tragedy endings and then come to expect it. I expected it here and was glad to get something a little more palatable.

A good read (or listen as the case may be). ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Liza and her daughter Hannah live with Liza’s Aunt Kathleen, at a small beach hotel in Australia. It’s popular with tourists for observing whales and dolphins, although there’s a worrying tendency to attract noisy boats. Liza clearly has a tragic secret in her past, and is very protective of Hannah.

Then a smartly suited man from England arrives. Mike is uncomfortable at first, feeling out of place. He quickly makes friends with Hannah, and is quite attracted to Liza, but also stirs up some bad feeling, particularly when the locals discover just why he’s there...

It took me some time to get into this book. Yet, slowly, I found myself drawn into the lives of this small community. I found myself caring more about these people and their everyday lives. By the time I was about half way through, I was totally hooked. Jojo Moyes has a great writing style that drew me in, kept me reading, and made me believe in her story, even at the end when - if I’m entirely honest - reality felt a little suspended.

Great writing, gentle story; recommended for anyone who enjoys this kind of women's fiction that's a little deeper than average. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is an OK book by Jojo Moyes - liked her more recent ones better. The ending was just too, too perfect. Real life just doesn't turn out this well most of the time. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jun 9, 2015 |
Set in Australia, this is satisfying romance dealing with dolphins, whales and big development. Although, this isn’t my favorite of Moyes, I enjoyed the story and the characters. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 29, 2015 |
I have liked every one of her books and this one does not disappoint! She has headed in so many different directions with each and every book. She keeps coming up with ideas that make me wonder----how does she DO that??? Wonderful! ( )
  nyiper | Mar 15, 2015 |
Liza McCullen non potrà mai fuggire dal suo passato. Ma le spiagge incontaminate di Silver Bay e la sua piccola, affettuosa comunità sembrano poterle offrire la libertà e la sicurezza di cui ha bisogno, se non per se stessa almeno per la figlia Hannah. Fino al giorno in cui nell'albergo gestito dalla zia Kathleen non arriva Mike Dormer, trasferitosi da Londra sulle coste australiane per avviare un hotel di lusso. Per lui si tratta solo di un'altra tappa nella sua folgorante carriera, un'altra occasione per guadagnare un sacco di soldi. Ma per Liza il suo arrivo rappresenta una minaccia: per la tranquillità economica della famiglia e per le balene che a Silver Bay trovano rifugio. E soprattutto per la determinazione a non innamorarsi mai più...
added by serendipity74 | editibs.it

FOR LOCKIE, FOR EVERYTHING HE IS,
AND EVERYTHING HE WILL BE
PROLOGUE - My name is Kathleen Wittier Mostyn, and when I was seventeen I became famous for catching the biggest shark New South Wales had ever seen: a gray nurse with an eye so mean it still looked like it wanted to rip me in two several days after we'd laid it out.
CHAPTER I - If you stuck your hand in right up to the wrist, you could usually uncover at least three different kinds of biscuit in Moby One's jar.

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the eccentric ramshackle Silver Bay Hotel - the enigmatic skipper Liza McCullen, her ten-year-old daughter, and her legendary shark-catching aunt Kathleen, as well as the crews of the local whale-watching boats - swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. He is left wondering who really has the greater right to the bay's waters.

As the development begins to take on a momentum of its own, and the effect on the whales that migrate past the bay begins to reveal itself, Mike's and Liza's worlds collide, with dramatic results. New, unforeseen hazards emerge to confront both the creatures and the McCullen women. How close can you get, before you end up destroying what you love?

When Mike Dormer heads out from London to a small seaside town in Australia to kick-start a hotel development, he expects just another deal. But Silver Bay is not just any seaside town, and the inhabitants of the hotel swiftly begin to temper his own shark-like tendencies. Originally published: London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2007.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,922,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible