The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R.…

The Man With The Golden Torc

by Simon R. Green

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (dmacmillan)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.

Pick one, Nightside or Droods. Too similar to bother with both. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
I was at C2E2, sitting in on a panel that had Simon Green, Mary Robinette Kowal, and some other authors I didn't know. At the time Mary was the only author I had heard of, and Green was just as unknown to me as the rest.

After the panel was over some penguin PR person made an announcement that there would be free books at some booth out on the show floor, and this was one of the books. I, being the thrifty bibliophile that I am, of course wanted all of the free books I could get my hands on, whether I had heard of the authors or not. When I got to the free-books booth Simon Green and the aforementioned PR person were the only people there, and Green was signing things. He offered to sign this book for me and, not knowing or caring who he was and being an impolite jerk, I said, “that's okay.” He just smiled and insisted, bless him, and I let him sign it. It is by far the sloppiest signature I've ever gotten, but that only makes him more endearing. He looked and sounded every bit the raconteur. Old and British; wearing a leather jacket over a waistcoat. Even if I hadn't know him to be an author I'd probably take one look at him and think, “I bet that guy has some stories to tell.”

Anyway, I read some reviews of this book before writing my own, and the general impression I got was that it's not as good as a lot of his other work. I consider that a good thing, because I did genuinely enjoy the hell out of this book, flawed as it is. I'll definitely look into his other work at some point. It was unabashed fun, and genuinely one of the funnier books I've read. It was exactly what I needed at the time. Something light with dry humor that didn't take itself even a smidge seriously. It threw in as many pop-culture and mythological references as possible without stopping to worry whether they had any justification for being there. I really liked that. Sorry for dismissing you, Mr. Green. Turns out your books are pretty damn fun. ( )
1 vote ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
This is the first book of the Secret Histories novels, in which a family, the Droods, uses ancient secrets of science and magic to protect the human population from a large assembly of evils, demons, monsters, aliens, etc. Except the official story conceals a dark secret.

Eddie Drood does what the family asks of him. Being independent, he isn't satisfied living under the roof and rules of the family matriarch, so he works among the normal humans, fighting the family's fight. Until he is sent on a mission, doomed to fail, and is declared rogue by the matriarch with a kill-on-sight order. Most of the book is his story of trying to find out why this happened.

The book is full of odd and fun characters, each is a creative creation with an interesting story. There is also a large array of odd artifacts, each also creative and unusual.

The author almost gets in the way of the story. He enjoys setting up a situation, and then adding a one-liner to build its opposite. This happens in the characters' stories, in idioms, settings, all too much. Some of them are very good, which keeps them from getting entirely stale, it is just part of his sense of humor.

The book has several allusions to James Bond. Eddie operates under the moniker Edwin Bond, and has an uncle James Drood with a history that sounds like James. This character sets a high-mark for establishing Edwin as a major operative.

The beginning of the book was a bit difficult to get through. As the author set the scene, he set up Edwin Drood as a masterful and powerful agent with a powerful tool. It felt like Deus-ex-Machina as he pulled new skills out to defeat opponents. But this was all stage setting to familiarize the reader with his abilities. The book definitely improves.

Toward the end of the book, it became a page-turner for me. The situations were exciting. However, I was quite disappointed in the ending, in which an entirely misunderstood plot element suddenly just solved all the problems. Oddly, it didn't feel like it ruined the book. The story was good enough to carry the novel, the humor was good, and it was interesting. I will make time to read the second novel. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Dec 4, 2016 |
This is a fantastic book. I picked it up because I read the description and was intrigued. I don't usually read horror novels, and I don't really read spy novels, but the idea of a family that all has magical armor and suddenly one of their own turns against them and has to find out why he's a target suddenly sounded like a good book. I was pretty happy with it right away when there was a Doctor Who reference within the first 3 chapters.
And some of the ideas that are presented in this are down right terrifying. Like the Scene Setters... Damn but that's a creepy idea. I love that part of the book, but only because the basic idea of it is so creepy and well written that it scared me more than the rest of the novel as a whole.
I thought that this was a really fun and well written novel. Lots of fun to be had and lots in interesting action and world building. ( )
  dementomstie | Dec 12, 2013 |
A good base for a new series. A never-ending romp--the characters go from one crises to another but the action is well done and the pacing is pretty good. Then it's all a bit conveniently resolved (really? nobody else is able to defeat this one member of the family?) but I don't think it could have ended any other way. A big conspiracy is set up for future books; I hope it doesn't linger for too long. The paranoia can get old. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
It started out as just another everyday mission.

For ages, Eddie Drood and his family have kept humanity safe from the things that go bump in the night. But now one of his own has convinced the rest of the family that Eddie’s become a menace, and that humanity needs to be protected from him. So he’s on the run, using every trick in the book, magical and otherwise, hoping he lives long enough to prove his innocence...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462149, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

For ages, Eddie Drood and his family have kept humanity safe from the things that go bump in the night. But now one of his own has convinced the rest of the family that Eddie's become a menace, and that humanity needs to be protected from him. So he's on the run, using every trick in the book, magical and otherwise, hoping he lives long enough to prove his innocence.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible