Black Boy by Richard Wright

Black Boy (1945)

by Richard Wright

English (46)  French (1)  All (47)
Picked up this book on an end cap at Barnes and Noble in February secondary to Black history month. I'm so glad I did. I love the writing and it's one of my all time favorites. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |
Black Boy is a classic of American autobiography, a subtly crafted narrative of Richard Wright's journey from innocence to experience in the Jim Crow South. An enduring story of one young man's coming of age during a particular time and place, Black Boy remains a seminal text in our history about what it means to be a man, black, and Southern in America.
  ObamaCenterBJ | Sep 26, 2017 |
Heartbreaking. Beautifully rendered and written. Mr. Wright has a brilliant way of writing about humanity and some of its greatest flaws. Everyone should read this book at least once. Everybody. ( )
  Mitchell_Bergeson_Jr | Aug 6, 2017 |
I'm so glad I finally read this! I had read "Native Son" and am now glad to have read this autobiography of and by Richard Wright. Dramatic and traumatic, but enlightening and interesting. ( )
  TerriS | Jul 7, 2017 |
I loved this book and I am glad some Irish people were good to him along the way. I think he pissed off some black people because he was so brutally honest about his own community and showed them warts and all. It is just a great read because he captures America of the time so well and he is even funny sometimes almost by accident because he is definately a serious guy. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |

Wright, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fisher, Dorothy CanfieldIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fonzi, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, Edward P.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reilly, JohnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They meet with darkness in the daytime And they grope at noonday as in the night... -- Job
One winter morning in the long-ago, four-year old days of my life I found myself standing before a fireplace, warming my hands over a mound of glowing coals, listening to the wind whistle past the house outside.

AR 7.4, 22 Pts

With an introduction by Jerry W. Ward, Jr.

Black Boy is a classic of American autobiography, a subtly crafted narrative of Richard Wright's journey from innocence to experience in the Jim Crow South. An enduring story of one young man's coming off age during a particular time and place, Black Boy remains a seminal text in our history about what it means to be a man, black, and Southern in America.

"Superb...The Library of America has insured that most of Wright's major texts are now available as he wanted them to be tread...Most important of all is the opportunity we now have to hear a great American writer speak with his own voice about matters that still resonate at the center of our lives."
--Alfred Kazin, New York Time Book Review

"The publication of this new edition is not just an editorial innovation, it is a major event in American literary history."
--Andrew Delbanco, New Republic

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:38 -0400)

The author relates his life as an African American growing up in the South during the Jim Crow years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible