Kool Ada by Sheila Solomon Klass
171587,099 (4)None

One of my favorite books when I was a kid. Ada has a learning disability, possibly dyslexia, though it is never explicitly addressed. She also has a temper problem, never turning her back on a fight when provoked. After losing her family and having to move from the country to live with her aunt in Chicago, Ada is put in the "special" sixth grade class. There, she slowly starts learning words and patience from her teacher, Ms. Walker. A very sweet, inspiring story, and I liked it just as much as I did when I was younger. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |

Hardened after the death of her Pa and brother, Ada lives her life in silence in her Aunt Dottie's Chicago home, refusing to let down her defenses. Reprint. AB. SLJ. K.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

When Ada, a tough, street-fighting transplant from coal mining country to the Chicago slums, gets the no-nonsense Ms. Walker as a teacher, she learns that there are other ways to stand up for yourself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible