The World of King Arthur by Christopher…

The World of King Arthur (edition 2011)

by Christopher Snyder

Member:paulsikora
Title:The World of King Arthur
Authors:Christopher Snyder
Info:Thames & Hudson (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:King Arthur, history, Britain, England, Celts, Romans, archelogy, Glastonbury, Tintagel, Cabury, Wroxeter, Britons, St Patrick, Merlin, Holy Grail, Middle Ages, medieval, Stonehenge, ballad, music, Parzifal, Lady of Shalott, Picts, Scots, Saxons, fantasy, Hadrian's Wall, Camelot, chilvary, legend, chronicles, Excalbur, Lady of the Lake

The World of King Arthur by Christopher Snyder

I only skim-read this, as I was mostly getting it for the illustrations -- it's a handy volume for seeing the sheer spread of Arthurian art over the centuries, reproduced in colour. It'll be useful for reference if I need to reference any art in my dissertation or thesis: it has most of the important Arthurian works of art that I can think of.

The actual level of the text is more an overview for someone who is casually interested, not for an academic audience. Could be useful to prepare for a course or something, though. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
After reading The Mists of Avalon, I picked this up to learn more about the "real" King Arthur. There is scant evidence for a king of his legendary magnitude, but many tall tales originate with a spark of truth. We may never know. This is a great resource for discovering more about the Dark Ages in which Arthurian legend began. ( )
  ryner | Oct 31, 2008 |

A survey of, and companion to, all things connected with the Arthurian legend. The author has examined archaeological evidence and medieval texts, and provides quotes from contemporary sources, a timeline, numerous sidebars and special features on key figures and events.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:47 -0400)

An illustrated survey exploring the world of King Arthur and the impact of the Arhturian legends on history and the arts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible