Eden Close (1989)

by Anita Shreve

At first I didn't think I was going to like this book. It was slightly confusing because it jumped back and forth without warning. I'm glad I stuck with it thought because it ended up being a pretty good story. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Fiction
Anita Shreve has managed to free evil from the dark and unleash it on a brilliantly lit summer day. This horror hides in the mundane details of peeling paint and broken steps, laundry hung in a backyard, and insects buzzing through soft, dry grass. Childhood memories are imbued with a patina of depravity as maturity seeks to understand a tragedy too complex for a young boy. The omnipresent evil is not supernatural but as near as a heart or mind, and as unexpected as a shattered mirror reflecting a painful glint from its nest of weeds. Through an atmosphere of impending doom, a path of relentless hope shines leading to a calamitous truth and a poignant redemption.
This is Anita Shreve's first novel.
Recommended by Geo, July 2005
  dawsong | Jun 12, 2015 |
I think I'm going to love anything Anita Shreve writes! This is the third of her novels I've read having first been 'hooked' by two later ones. Eden Close is haunting and beautiful, and I didn't want it to end, despite dealing with some very ugly subjects, particularly around child abuse. I loved it! ( )
  wendyburrill | Mar 3, 2014 |
Eden Close by Anita Shreve

Eden Close, Like all of Shreve's works that I have read thus far kept me on the edge of my seat. It was a thoroughly entertaining and engrossing novel. This story like all of her others sucked me right in.
While I guessed 'the secret' early on it did not make any difference in the enjoyment of the novel. Full of twists and turns, what really makes this novel work is her character development and her unique style of writing. The reader will find this with all of Shreve's novels. She really makes you feel as though you come to know and care about her characters, even the minor ones. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Jan 20, 2014 |

Maybe, before releasing, I might read it all the same. I'm not sure yet, though.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
For John
The air lay as heavy as water in the square dark rooms of the farmhouse.

A compelling tale of edgy, small-town emotions, lingering obsession, and romantic salvation.

Andrew, after many years, returns to his hometown to attend his mother's funeral. Planning to remain only a few days, he is drawn into the tragic legacy of his childhood friend and beautiful girl next door, Eden Close. An adopted child, Eden had learned to avoid the mother who did not want her and to please the father who did. She also aimed to please Andrew and his friends, first by being one of the boys and later by seducing them. Then one hot night, Andrew was awakened by gunshots and piercing screams from the next farm: Mr. Close had been killed and Eden blinded.

Now, seventeen years later, Andrew begins to uncover the grisly story - to unravel the layers of thwarted love between the husband, wife, and tormented girl. And as the truth about Eden's past comes to light, so too does Andrew's strange and binding attachment to her reveal itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:48 -0400)

After many years away, Andrew returns to his hometown to attend his mother's funeral. Unwittingly, he is drawn into the tragic legacy of his childhood friend, Eden Close.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,264,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible