Perfect from Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My…

Perfect from Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life

by John Sellers

This book was alright for me. It had some great and relatable quotes about being an obsessive music fan and some funny moments too but there were a lot of parts where I wanted to just skip ahead because he seemed to be going on and on. I was also a bit disappointed that the synopsis included a reference to him taking a Smiths pilgrimage type trip to Manchester when really he didn't end up doing much at all to do with The Smiths while in Manchester. That was the part of the synopsis that sold me as a Smiths fan so that was a bit disappointing but overall I did relate to and enjoy his enthusiasm and experiences as a music fan. ( )
  morgantaylor | Oct 10, 2014 |
the ending wasn't great, but any book that makes me want to drink miller lite and turn music up loud is okay by me. ( )
  heyitsdaver | Dec 5, 2011 |
Very good overview of indie rock from the 80s and 90s--might just be saying that because I agree with a lot of what he has to say. Unfortunately, the second half of the book is devoted to covering one band: Guided by Voices. Still well-written, but drags if you're not as into the band as the author. ( )
1 vote francomega | Jul 18, 2009 |
Life was something you dominated if you were any good. - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Crack-Up

You're stupid, Sellers. Sellers, you're stupid. - Mildly retarded kid on the author's school bus, 1982
To my dad, Mark Ashley Sellers Jr., for APBA, Magic, and the sounds of spring
I hate Bob Dylan.

TOP FIVE MUSICAL THINGS I HOPE HAPPEN NOW THAT THE ORIGINAL LINEUPS OF THE PIXIES AND DINOSAUR JR. HAVE REUNITED

1. Ian Curtis is resurrected.

2. The Smiths reunite for a private party at my favorite bar.

3. There is a new My Bloody Valentine album.

4. A new Nirvana comes along to blow away all of those fey Duran Duran emulators.

5. Radiohead stops listening to Pink Floyd and starts listening to Black Sabbath.

If you've ever made, or conceived of, a list like this, then look no further for your next book purchase. You have it. In your hands. Please consider it as your next book purchase.

In Perfect From Now On, John Sellers has written a fan's memoir overflowing with humor, self-deprecation, encyclopedic knowledge of musical minutiae, and "you should have been there" personal anecdotes. Despite vowing never to get caught up in music due to the nuttiness of a Dylan-obsessed father and playground taunts about his preference for Top 40 trash, he found himself powerless to resist the allure of indie rock, the genre that begat the likes of Sonic Youth, Pavement, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse. When his favorite band, Guided By Voices, called it quits in 2004, Sellers examined his own listening habits, caught a few mind-blowing shows, got drunk with his heroes, and wrote this book -- one that is sure to resonate with anybody who has ever obsessed over good music.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

"In Perfect From Now On, John Sellers has written a fan's memoir overflowing with humor, self-deprecation, encyclopedic knowledge of musical minutiae, and "you should have been there" personal anecdotes. Despite vowing never to get caught up in music due to the nuttiness of a Dylan-obsessed father and playground taunts about his preference for Top 40 trash, he found himself powerless to resist the lure of indie rock, the genre that begat the likes of Sonic Youth, Pavement, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse. When his favorite band, Guided by Voices, called it quits in 2004, Seller examined his own listening habits, caught a few mind-blowing shows, got drunk with his heroes, and wrote this book - one that is sure to resonate with anybody who has ever obsessed over good music."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,941,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible