Send E-mail by David Shipley

Send E-mail (2007)

by David Shipley, Will Schwalbe

English (14)  German (1)  All (15)
A quick and relatively enjoyable read. Mostly common-sense ideas, but amusingly presented, and we can all use a few reminders of common sense when it comes to e-mail. It's a nice touch that the authors sometimes use their own e-mails to demonstrate how things can go wrong; keeps the tone from being too preachy or prescriptive. ( )
  savoirfaire | Apr 6, 2013 |
A primer on basic e-mail functions and etiquette. It would be useful for businesses and organizations wanting to improve their practices, particularly in relation to appropriate and collegial behavior as well as introductory security and privacy. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read this book about a year ago (2009) and found it moderately useful. It lays out common sense guidelines for how to conduct oneself over email. I think it's only moderately useful, though, because the people that really need to take its lessons to heart may not change their email etiquette after reading it. I've actually seen this happen -- one colleague at work gave this book to another colleague that has problematic email etiquette; I know that he read the book, but he seems to be unchanged. That's only anecdotal evidence, and it's probably too much to ask of a book on email to change someone's personality. Email is just the medium, of course.

This might be the kind of book that is most useful for someone starting out in the business world. ( )
  Joe24 | Jan 1, 2011 |
One of those advice books where I didn't really learn anything new, but sometimes those are the best kind. They act, instead, as reassurance. Very succinct and practical, with plenty of vivid examples. ( )
  kristenn | Jan 10, 2010 |
Subtitled as “The Essential Guide to Email for Office and Home”, Send is an authoritative, slim volume designed to address some of the tricky issues that make email a powerful but potentially dangerous tool. David Shipley, Op-Ed Page Editor of the New York Times, and Will Schwalbe, Editor-in-Chief of Hyperion Books, have teamed up to write a guide for email—not just how to write an email, but when and why. Chapters include “How to Write (the Perfect) Email”, “The Six Essential Types of Email”, and even “The Email That Can Land You in Jail”. The authors provide examples, often with the names changed to protect the innocent (and guilty); these range from “I can’t believe they did that” to “Oops, I’ve done that.”

The basic message of the book is “Think before you send”. Email should be simple, it should be effective, it should be necessary, and it should get something done. This book organizes some of the things you already know, and raises other issues that you may or may not have instinctively done up to now. Like so many other things, a bit of thinking and discipline can transform your email from a dull knife into a sharp and effective blade for getting things done; I’d recommend Send as a whetstone for your email habits. ( )
  dflanag | Jun 2, 2009 |
It is good the he provided examples in the book. I just hope it would help me avoid encountering frequent email problems because it would drive me insane everytime outlook won't send email. Or maybe its just my bad internet connection?
added by Frank_Martins | editFrank Martins

David Shipleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schwalbe, Willmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307263649, Hardcover)

An April 2007 Significant 7 Editors' Pick: Funny, engaging, and oh-so-practical, Send is the ultimate etiquette handbook for email, making David Shipley and Will Schwalbe the "Miss Manners" resource for the digital age. Full of practical insights, Send is an invaluable resource for anyone who uses email, and is guaranteed to help you "think before you click." We are not the only fans of this important book. We asked psychologist, science journalist, and bestselling author Daniel Goleman to read Send and give us his take. Check out his exclusive guest review below. --Daphne Durham

Guest Reviewer: Daniel Goleman

Daniel Goleman is an internationally known psychologist who lectures frequently to professional groups, business audiences, and on college campuses, and is the author of many bestselling books, including Emotional Intelligence and most recently, Social Intelligence.

Poor Michael Brown. During the darkest days of the Hurricane Katrina debacle, Brown, then director of FEMA, the agency that so badly bungled the rescue efforts, sent this email: "Are you proud of me? Can I quit now? Can I go home?"

Emails can come back to haunt us--any of us. Few among us have mastered this medium, and only slowly are we realizing its dangers.

From the earliest days of email people "flamed", sending off irritating or otherwise annoying messages. One explanation for the failure to inhibit our more unruly impulses online is a mismatch between the screen we stare at as we email, and the cues the social circuits of the brain use to navigate us through an interaction effectively: on email there is no tone of voice, no facial expression. When we talk to someone on the phone or face-to-face these circuits would ordinarily squelch impulses that will seem "off." Lacking these crucial cues, flaming occurs.

It's not just flaming--I've sent my fair share of emails that were, in retrospect, embarrassing, too familiar or formal, or otherwise wrong in tone. Email invites these lapses in social intelligence in part because the social brain flies blind. In the absence of the other person's real-time emotional signals we need to take a moment to shift from focusing on our own feelings and thoughts, and intentionally focus on the other person, even in absentia, and consider, How might this message come across?

The peril of being off-key is amplified by the temptation to hit SEND prematurely: before we've thought it over and had a chance to ease up on that too-stiff tone, drop that bit of sarcasm, and remember to ask about the kids.

In the old days of letter writing--a dying art--we had plenty of time to rewrite before sealing the envelope, and so flaming letters were far more rare than red-hot emails. And so the brave new world of email could benefit from a civilizing force, a voice that articulates the ground rules online.

Enter Send: The Essential Guide to Email for Office and Home, a new book by David Shipley (an old friend of mine) and Will Schwalbe. Send not only articulates the way to win--or keep--friends online, but offers practical tips on both email etiquette and on the writing style most suitable.

In this witty and wise book Shipley and Schwalbe give essential guidance on vital matters like the politics of using Cc (nobody likes to be left out); when to just reply and when to "Reply All"; the danger of the URGENT subject (too many and you cry wolf); fine-tuning your greetings to fit the relationship (if you use the wrong one, you can lose them at hello); how best to apologize online (put the word 'sorry' in the subject or else the email may never be read).

But Send is far more than Miss Manners for the Web; it's brimming with fascinating insights. For example, now that email has become the way we talk, showing up in person has added impact as the ultimate compliment, signifying that the person, meeting or project has special importance for you.

Years ago a slim volume by Strunk and White, The Elements of Style, laid out the ground rules for good writing; the book became a bible for authors, widely known just as "Strunk and White." Send should make Shipley and Schwalbe the "Strunk and White" for the Web. --Daniel Goleman (www.danielgoleman.info)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

A guide to e-mail etiquette addresses the fine art of composing electronic memos, notes, reports, or other communiques, discussing how to handle sensitive issues and the challenges of composing an effective e-mail.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible