Murder in C Major by Sara Hoskinson Frommer

BOTTOM-LINE:
Nice light read for a Sunday afternoon
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Joan Spencer, widowed, moves back to Oliver with her son Andrew and joins the local orchestra in her spare time. The second week of rehearsals is marred by the death of an unpopular oboe player. Joan helps the police investigate the murder (big surprise!) and does a pretty good job of spotting essential clues.
WHAT I LIKED:
Well written, characters nicely developed, including some hints of romance between Joan and the cop. Interesting was the switch between the two characters as the narrator -- not quite third person, not quite first person and surprisingly well-executed in the writing. The story moves along fairly quickly and doesn't drag.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Perhaps too many characters with too many motives and opportunities. Unfortunately for me, I figured out the ending far too far in advance as well as the reasons for it -- and yet I still got the murderer wrong! (Missed it by *that* much!)
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, but I did interact with her online. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 30, 2016 |
I found this book a pleasant surprise. I thought it would be basically a regional mystery with a somewhat cheesy story, but Frommer has some fairly serious game. Joan Zimmerman Spencer, returning to her old home town to get her feet back under her after widowhood and betrayal, joins the local symphony orchestra. When an extremely unpleasant oboist dies within feet of her, her insights as an outsider, along with those of a discouraged but personable policeman, help to ferret out a murderer no one would suspect. The relationship between the two protagonists is easy and while it's obvious that something will happen between them it's not forced. I also like the relationship between Joan and her son. Frommer does character well--there are some fun people running around this novel. ( )
  Bjace | Dec 7, 2013 |

The Oliver Civic Symphony is a small-town orchestra with weekly rehearsals, colorful gossip, and now . . . murder. An oboist suddenly dies from a rare poison. A flutist's throat is cut. With policeman Fred Lundquist, Joan Spencer uncovers a daring melody that only a murderous virtuoso could perform.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Who is silencing the woodwind section? The Oliver Civic Symphony has weekly rehearsals, gossip, and now murder. An oboist drops dead and a flautist's throat is slashed. Joan is new in town, but quickly becomes an old hand at finding clues.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible