Our Gracie Aunt by Jacqueline Woodson

Our Gracie Aunt

by Jacqueline Woodson

2 children get sent to aunt Gracie`s . Aunt will foster the two children while mom gets better. The mom would leave them for days by themselves, without food and anyone to care for them. They learn to love Aunt Gracie.
Ages 2-5
Source-Pierce College library
  fisherfi | Feb 18, 2018 |
Like most of Woodson's books, this story touches on a very rough subject. This is about two siblings who have been abandoned by their mother, though not intentionally, and are sent to live with their Aunt Gracie. The content in this book seems to be very difficult for students to understand, but will be easily understood if students can read in depth enough. I find it interesting that Woodson makes it very clear that the mother in the story was taken away because she was arrested, or sent to some type of facility, but yet she shows so much love for her children when they went to visit her. It is so pure how both children can accept and love their mother while learning to love another guardian at the same time. I feel that this story hits home for many children, as it is a real and very harsh reality for some. Ultimately, the story teaches readers that it is okay to let others who care for you. ( )
  bbabb | Oct 30, 2017 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because it is a story that deals with a difficult subject, and while the reason for the mothers poor parenting is never truly named you can brainstorm reasons if your reading this book aloud. I can not say that I did not like the book, but I did have an issue with how it was written. It is hard to figure out which character is actually talking during some of the dialogue, and I feel like it was a bit rushed and flowed poorly. The language is not very descriptive, although it is clear. The characters are well developed and believable, except for the mother. The point of view is mainly third person. The plot is organized, but the pace is a bit fast. The tension and conflict of the plot keeps the reader engaged throughout the story. The illustrations are great, and they help to enhance the story especially the illustration of Gracie Aunts house. The book allows the reader to think about tough issues, such as foster care and losing your family. But it also broadens perspectives by showing how a family just requires love. I believe that this is the main message of the book, as well. ( )
  KMG2002 | Apr 22, 2017 |
Our Gracie Aunt is a touching story about a young boy named Johnson and his sister BeeBee. Their mother has neglected them for several days, so a neighbor calls social services. The children are then taken to live with their Aunt Gracie, who is their mother’s sister. Aunt Gracie tucks them in, plays with them, and feeds them. They began to warm up to living with their aunt and are happy they do not have to go to bed hungry anymore. In the end, the children see their mother who appears to be receiving help at a facility. Johnson and BeeBee know that their mother loves them, but she just needs to get better. I feel this is a wonderful story for children to read, especially those who are going through the same situation. This story shows those who relate to it that they are not alone and things will get better. It also shows other children the different lives other people may have. Overall, this is a beautiful story that brought tears to my eyes. Of all of Woodson's children books, this is my all time favorite and it truly touched my heart. ( )
  hjaber | Mar 30, 2016 |
A gentle, honest story about family issues that can lead to foster care. Johnson and Beebee's mother has left them alone at home for several days, leading a neighbor to call social services. The children are placed with their aunt who's been estranged from their mother. There are many reasons kids end up in foster care but this story acknowledges the universal fears children have about being separated from a parent they love and are fiercely loyal to, no matter their parents' inability to properly care for them. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

When a brother and sister are taken to stay with their mother's sister because their mother neglects them, they wonder if they will see their mother again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,406,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible