I Have Heard of a Land by Joyce Carol Thomas

I Have Heard of a Land

by Joyce Carol Thomas

I had mixed opinions about this book after reading it. I really liked the repetition used in the story. It created a nice flow. But I didn't like how towards the end, it stopped and just told a quick little story instead. Almost every page started with the phrase "I have heard of a land". The author would then describe the land and what came with it or who was on it. I enjoyed the repetition of the phrase because it allowed me to grasp the intense and meaningful feeling that the author was trying to portray. The story was describing a family's westward journey and constantly repeating the land and what they dreamed would be on it made the story come to life. At one part in the book the phrase stopped and then just described one woman and a few activities that she was involved in. I thought this broke up the flow of the story. I honestly got confused how the description even related to the story because it talked about the woman sleeping and cooking and not the land itself. The main purpose of this story was to describe the imaginations of a family moving out west. ( )
  tthomp19 | Oct 13, 2016 |
" I have Heard of a Land" is one of the most powerful children's books I have read thus far. It talks about all the hardships experienced by and African american pioneer girl. Each page describes a different hardship and the illustration is right there to show you exactly what it looks like. This book would have not been as magnificent without the powerful illustrations. This is a perfect book to read to students. It shows just a smidgen of the many hardships that many people face.This can show children just how good they may have it, and what some have to face on a day to day basis. I loved this book so much. It teaches such a powerful lesson. ( )
  bethanygc | Aug 29, 2016 |
Told with lyrical poetry against gorgeous illustrations, I Have Heard of a Land tells the story of the first black Americans to settle in Oklahoma. With hope, hard-work, and determination, they created a life of freedom and prosperity. The story focuses on a single female, and her dreams of a place of her own. Worth reading for the pictures alone! ( )
  empress8411 | Jul 28, 2016 |
This is a beautiful book written about a black womans jouney in the Oklahoma Land Run. The book is wriiten about what she finds in Oklahoma. It tells how she ran the claim the land. She tells of how she will find freedom to raise her family, to worship, to build her a home and grow her crops.
This book told me a story about the Land Run that I had never heard. When reading the book it made me feel as if I were there and could see what she talked about.
I would read this book before we had our Land Run at school. Then the class could participate in the land run. I could have them dress up that day in clothes that might have been worn during this time. ( )
  LoriES12 | Jul 19, 2016 |
I really liked this book for a number of reasons, two being the language and characters. This story is about an African American women and her family’s journey to Oklahoma in the late 19th century. The story of her dreams and hopes as she moves west are provided in great detail and language throughout the book with the authors use of figurative language and repetition. “I have heard of a land where the crickets skirl in harmony and babies wrapped to their mothers’ backs in the field laugh more than they cry”. The author strongly develops the main character, from whose point of view the story is told, including illustrations and to support her dreams and wishes out west. The main message of this book is that, from hearing about great things in a better place, we are motivated to achieve these dreams and make the most of our journey to happiness. ( )
  gretchencompere | Apr 26, 2016 |

I have heard of a land
Where the imagination has no fences
Where what is dreamed one night
Is accomplished the next day

In the late 1880s, signs went up all around America - land was free in the Oklahoma territory. And it was free to everyone: Whites, Blacks, men and women alike. All one needed to stake a claim was hope and courage, strength and perseverance. Thousands of pioneers, many of them African-Americans newly freed from slavery, headed west to carve out a new life in the Oklahoma soil.

Drawing upon her own family history, National Book Award winner Joyce Carol Thomas has crafted an unforgettable anthem to these brave and determned people from America's past. Richly illustrated by Coretta Scott King Award honoree Floyd Cooper, I Have Heard of a Land is a glorious tribute to the Afrian-American pioneer spirit.

00-01 Sequoyah Children's Book Award Masterlist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

Describes the joys and hardships experienced by an African-American pioneer woman who staked a claim for free land in the Oklahoma territory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,424,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible