Annihilation, Book 1 by Keith Giffen

Annihilation, Book 1

by Keith Giffen, Dan Abnett (Author), Mitch Breitweiser (Illustrator), Andy Lanning (Author), Kev Walker (Author)

Started on this because it was the first book on the "Guardians of the Galaxy" reading guide on reddit (yes, I just watched the movie two days ago :p).

Was pleasantly surprised to find out that Dan Abnett wrote these books (For the Emperor!). Well... it didn't disssapoint. I will admit it was a bit slow in the beginning. But Nova is brilliantly written. Epic and sombre and campy dialogue that doesn't drag.

The feels be there!

Man, I haven't read a comic in ages. The feel of this medium has always been something else when done well. (: #happygeekface

Note: This TPB collects Drax the Destroyer #1-4 and Nova #1-4. Got this off the Google Play Store, twas cheaper than on Comixology... but I see why... Comixology has a smart reader function thingy going for it (viz. more single taps, less arduous scrolling). Oh well. Going to stick to Google for now. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I remember seeing Nova as a kid and thinking he looked really cool. I may have traced him a time or two but I don't remember ever getting interested enough to read any of his comics. It's kind of funny the kid in this book (Cammi) makes fun of how "ridiculous" he looks. Cammi is by far my favorite character in the series. She's hilarious. One thing is that I always thought Nova's "helmet" was a hard metal thing but in this they make it like it's made out of something that's more like cloth.

Anyway, I thought Drax #1-4 (included in this graphic novel), was pretty lame, except for the snarky girl. I enjoyed the Nova comics much more. I like this level of cosmic destruction, it's scary and a whole different thing from Spider-man beating up some guys robbing a bank and confronting Doc Ock or even Super Man fighting some giant monster threatening a city. This is cosmic scale stuff.

Will probably check out volume 2 if I can find it at the library. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 31, 2016 |
I no longer read prose science fiction, but cosmic is still one of my favorite comic sub-genres. Somehow I skipped this crossover while it was in issues, despite consistently good reviews. Maybe too many other titles were coming out at the same time; maybe just because it was Marvel. I don't remember. But I've been picking up the new spin-off Guardians of the Galaxy ongoing and realized I need the background. It's fun enough so far. Giffen is pretty reliable. Abnett and Lanning are good with banter. Still don't like Kolins's art. Love Magyar's Guy Davis-esque inks, though. That kid sidekick needs to go, however. Haven't warmed to her at all. And why does Marvel always go after small towns in Alaska? Or Connecticut, I guess. But still. First that New Avengers/House of M thing and now this. ( )
  kristenn | Jan 10, 2010 |
Annihilation: Book One is the first of three anthologies collecting Marvel's recent Annihilation event. The individual stories are of mixed quality, but the Annihilation saga as a whole is one of Marvel's strongest crossover events, particularly of recent years, and reintroduced Marvel's cosmic side into their modern stories, taking place over several months and climaxing while the superhero Civil War was taking place back on earth (and while Vulcan was taking names over on the Shi'Ar side of the universe!).

Annihilation: Book One comprises three stories:

Drax the Destroyer, written by Keith Giffen with pencils by Mitch Breitweiser, was originally serialized between September and December 2005. This is a prelude to the main story, in which a prison ship of hardened interstellar criminals crash-lands in Alaska. It's a decent story with serviceable art, and a good (re)introduction to the character of Drax. New character Cammi is also fun, even if she is a bit too canny and sharp to make a convincing 10-year-old. 3.5 stars for this one.

Annihilation Prologue by Keith Giffen with art by Scott Kolins and Ariel Ollivetti, was originally published in March 2006, and is a more frustrating read. Being the actual opening of the Annihilation War and introducing many of the key players in the saga, it's certainly essential, but it's a very busy tale, cramming a lot of story into relatively few pages. It is not much helped by art ranging from basic but okay to downright ugly -- both contributing artists are capable of much better than what's on display here. Still, Giffen is a solid storyteller so the story ends up working. Again, 3.5 stars, though it would have been higher with better art.

Annihilation: Nova, written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning with pencils by Kev Walker, was originally published between April and July 2006. This story, picking up right where the Prologue left off, is the strongest in the book. Abnett and Lanning tell fun, funny, exciting stories, and they understand space opera. This series sets up fun characters, plays well with the old ones, moves the story forward and is generally just a great deal of fun. 4.5 stars.

This book also collects all of Gabriele Dell'Otto's absolutely gorgeous cover paintings as well as some character and cover sketches as extras.

Overall, a good opening salvo to the Annihilation event, more substantial and interesting than Marvel's other recent events such as Civil War and Secret Invasion, even if these early books weren't yet getting the big-name artists. If you like epic science fiction or space opera, it's a good bet you'll like this.

Recommended. ( )
1 vote nsblumenfeld | Aug 19, 2008 |

Keith Giffenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abnett, DanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Breitweiser, MitchIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanning, AndyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Walker, KevAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Annihilation Wave has come! Annihilus, lord of the Negative Zone, has declared war! Hordes of loyal soldiers swarm from the center of the universe, and only a handful of heroes can resist destruction! As the Xandarian Nova Corps meet its doom, only Richard Rider - the man called Nova - survives. Now the sole custodian of the Worldmind, the Zandarian's database of knowledge and experience, can he rediscover himself in time to lead the war effort against the Annihilation Wave? Drax the Destroyer returns from exile on Earth to mentor Nova - but wait until you see his dangerous new persona! Guest-starring Quasar, Ronan the Accuser, the Super-Skrull and Thanos! Collecting Drax the Destroyer #1-4, Annihilation Prologue and Annihilation: Nova #1-4.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

"The Annihilation Wave has come! Annihilus, lord of the Negative Zone, has declared war! Hordes of loyal soldiers swarm from the center of the universe, and only a handful of heroes can resist destruction! As the Xandarian Nova Corps meet its doom, only Richard Rider - the man called Nova - survives. Now the sole custodian of the Worldmind, the Zandarian's database of knowledge and experience, can he rediscover himself in time to lead the war effort against the Annihilation Wave? Drax the Destroyer returns from exile on Earth to mentor Nova - but wait until you see his dangerous new persona! Guest-starring Quasar, Ronan the Accuser, the Super-Skrull and Thanos!" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,513,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible