Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the…

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery (2007)

by Eric Metaxas

6022016,247 (3.93)15
Recently added byjamesrrouse, ehallett, private library, bclements, mejerrymouse, hankinsd

A fairly decent biography, written in an anachronistic style. The main trouble I have is the Metaxas sides so fully with his biographical subject that he whitewashes Wilberforce's chauvinism and somewhat patronizing attitudes to wards Indians, for example. Still, worth reading. ( )
  dasam | Jul 25, 2017 |

This is an inspiring book about the end of slavery in the British Empire, and the man who was behind it all. Wilberforce worked tirelessly for decades before he saw the fruits of his efforts. He was an exceptional man who deserves to be more widely known. The (often horrifying) social and political landscape of the times features prominently in the narrative as well.

The purple prose made the read a bit tedious at times, and the author’s voice was too prominent for me to give it 4 stars, but it’s still a worthy read. Just know going into it that this isn't a scholarly bio but a movie tie-in. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Amazing Grace was wonderful! It provided a good picture of the society in which William Wilberforce lived and how unusual it was for the British at the time to actually live as Christians rather than pay the lip service most gave to the Church of England. Wilberforce had an early exposure to the Methodist faith but fell away in his teen and college years at Oxford. He partied hard and studied little. But he reconnected with men and women of faith and over a period of time developed a living faith. That faith convinced him that all men were equal in God's sight and his great 28-year fight for the abolition of the slave trade began. He personally knew John Newton and John Wesley, was the best friend of William Pitt, who became prime minister at 24, and met Napoleon and Marie Antoinette before the revolution. The book is filled with great heart and great history. It's also one of the few books I've read in forever that required me to pull out my dictionary. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
I came to this book primarily because I was so affected by Mr. Metaxas' book on the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I wanted to read more of his work. My exposure to Wilberforce had been primarily through the movie of the same title and wasn't sure if I was getting a manuscript that would simply be a retelling of the same story or something new.
It is something new.

As with Bonhoeffer, I have come away from this book with another new spiritual hero in William Wilberforce. In him we find a man whose faith translated into action in a way that should move us all. In an era where it is easy to be cynical about politicians, Wilberforce shows us the power that a man of principle can have when he is willing to persevere through the slings and arrows. Eric Metaxas writing ability makes this an even greater joy. Highly recommended! ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
A good, easy to read biography of a guy most of us do not even know about. I have not read other biographies of Wilberforce, so they may be as good as this or better. This is a 5 star read because of Wiberforce. There were some author in sites towards the end that were worthwhile as well. ( )
  vanjr | Oct 4, 2015 |

Amazing Grace tells the story of the remarkable life of the British abolitionist William Wilberforce (1759-1833). This accessible biography chronicles Wilberforce's extraordinary role as a human rights activist, cultural reformer, and member of Parliament.

Metaxas discovers in this unsung hero a man of whom it can truly be said: he changed the world. Before Wilberforce, few thought slavery was wrong. After Wilberforce, most societies in the world came to see it as a great moral wrong.

To mark the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the British slave trade, HarperSanFrancisco and Bristol Bay Productions have joined together to commemorate the life of William Wilberforce with the feature-length film Amazing Grace and this companion biography, which provides a fuller account of the amazing life of this great man than can be captured on film.

This account of Wilberforce's life will help many become acquainted with an exceptional man who was a hero to Abraham Lincoln and an inspiration to the anti-slavery movement in America.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

Tells the story of the remarkable life of the British abolitionist William Wilberforce, and his extraordinary role as a human rights activist, cultural reformer, and member of Parliament. At the center of this heroic life was a passionate twenty-year fight to abolish the British slave trade, a battle Wilberforce won in 1807, as well as efforts to abolish slavery itself in the British colonies, a victory achieved just three days before his death in 1833. This is a man of whom it can truly be said: he changed the world. Before Wilberforce, few thought slavery was wrong. After Wilberforce, most societies in the world came to see it as a great moral wrong.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible