Exposed: A Memoir by Helen Leung

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byGeniusJen

No tags.

Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I was very excited to read this book. This memoir is about a young girl who grows up with dermatomyositis (dur-muh-to-mi-uh-SI-tis), which is an uncommon disease marked by muscle weakness and a distinctive skin rash. It is a very quick read at only 142 pages, but is very fascinating.

Helen is diagnosed with the disease when she is very young. She describes how she functions with not being able to walk and at times not even being able to hold up her head. She describes the feelings of her family and her frustration at not being able-bodied. At times it is very intense and you can feel the anger and the rage that Helen has for the world and why she questions God about why she got this disfiguring condition.

I found that a lot of the things that Helen railed against were some of the same things that I was unhappy about when I was younger. One of the things I could identify with was not having a date for the prom. A lot of teens don't go to their senior prom. I think, as does Helen, that we as a society have put too much pressure on going to it. She remarks that she felt alone many times in her life even when she was with many people. I have felt that way also.

Pick up this book so that when you meet someone in a wheelchair or who is "different" than you, you can put yourself in their place and make their life a little bit easier for them. EXPOSED is a good, quick read that will give you empathy for others. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 10, 2009 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,123,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible