Cult by Warren Adler

This book gave a look into the issues of brainwashing in a cult and how they get their members. It shows how hard it is on the families and friends of the people lost to a cult. It depicts madness,blame and terror, but never tells why the wife left.

***I received this book in exchange for an honest review**** ( )
  druidgirl | Dec 30, 2014 |
Okay. Here is me truly feeling bad about leaving this mediocre review with only no other opinions in the mix here on Library thing (Sorry, NetGalley. I promised I would be honest in exchange for an advanced reader copy - for better or worse, and here it is).

I've sat on this review for over a week, hoping my indifference would mutate into something more salvageable for a review. Alas, if anything, time has blurred away my good feelings towards this book, and left me saying, "meh?"

I requested this title after: 1) reading the author was responsible for writing The War of the Roses which, granted, I never read or saw - but have heard a great deal about, so, naturally it holds a certain regard, if not earned through experience and 2). I saw it advertised on my PaperWhite Kindle idle screen - stuff that I normally ignore, but because I had seen it on NetGalley, had sparked my interest.

It was a book of lofty, if somewhat controversial ideas, that never really came to fruition plot wise. Granted, it came close to engaging me on several occasions - the sections devoted to deprogramming the cult members were a personal highlight in terms of tension and interest - BUT overall, failed to totally capturing my interest. Now, please allow me some leeway in writing up this review, It's late. My baby is in bed. THIS is how I now define an exciting Friday night - writing a book review that I've been sitting on for a week without the time to write it all down. If anything, the time passed has allowed me to realize how mediocre this book was. I've all but forgotten the plot and characters in the small time that has past since my reading.

Nay, or Naomi, has a troubled past that is dredged up when her ex-boyfriend contacts her for help years after their last contact. Naomi has built a career in fighting for human rights, an agenda that may have been a wedge between her and her materialistic ex, Barney. As it turns out, Barney's much younger wife has abandoned him and their young son after visiting her sister in California where she became involved in a religious sect recognized as "The Glories." Barney is, naturally, shocked and confused - attempting to utilize every legal avenue to make contact with his wife, a now unknown stranger who has abandoned her family for a suspected cult. Has she been brainwashed? Are her human rights being compromised by an evil minded apocalyptic cult that has brainwashed her, kidnapping her, holding her hostage from her family? Or is she merely exercising her right of religious freedom - being born into a culture that is no more suspect that that of the Catholic or Evangelical persuasion? This book attempts to answer these questions - asking readers to search themselves for answers as to what makes one religion valid and rational - while another is religion is deemed to be invalid, or dangerous, or controversial. Where does conscientious religious devotion begin to become cultish, zombie-like behavior? Important questions for our generation - as this book repeatedly insists that the Taliban and the actions of 9/11 are consistent with cult behavior.

Whatever. Interesting theory, cardboard characters. A week from my initial reading I can remember the concepts that drove the book - but not the characters' names. I was prepared to love it, but came away, trying to at least like it. ( )
  myownwoman | Mar 8, 2014 |

Warren Adler is the acclaimed author of 25 novels, published in 30 languages. Two of his books, "The War of the Roses" and "Random Hearts" were made into major motion pictures. He lives in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and New York City. A successful entrepreneur discovers that his young and impressionable wife has been lured by her fanatical sister into the Glory Cult, a ruthless and powerful group in Oregon run by a charismatic "guru." Determined to free her from the cult's grasp, he teams up with a pair of tough, cunning deprogrammers and plans to kidnap his wife from the cult. However, they soon find themselves in a deadly cat and mouse game with the David Koresh-like leader of the Glories. Their rescue attempt triggers a surprising and horrific climax. This is must reading for those who seek to understand the real meaning of September 11th. Readers will be on edge throughout this page-turner of a novel, and will learn how the power of sinister forces using mind control techniques can turn innocent people into weapons of destruction. Cult will evoke in you a fear, a dread¿ The psychological perspective, the intricacies of brainwashing are all set with an authentic tune, chillingly real¿ an absolutely terrific tale. · Nikesh Murali, Reviews Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:23 -0400)

In the dead of night, Naomi Forman receives a phone call. Barney Harrigan, the man she once loved-now happily married with children-utters, "My wife Charlotte has been captured by the Glories." What began as a rude interruption of her night becomes a horrifying interruption of her life, as she is unable to ignore Barney's cry for help. Drawn into the Glory Church doomsday cult by her estranged sister, Charlotte Harrigan succumbs to the will of the enigmatic Father Glory. Brainwashed beyond comprehension, she is now only one of many who have been entrapped by the cult's promise of rebirth into a new, idyllic life. Against her better judgment, Naomi agrees to help Barney confront the Glories and save Charlotte. But na?ve optimism quickly plummets to misery as their plans are systematically picked apart, dashed by members of the cult past and present, and even by the local Sheriff, T. Clausen Moore, who is only as helpful as the Glories want him to be. His awareness of the Glory's practices and their secluded compound-including the river, where there has been more than one "accidental" drowning-is the one obstacle that he too must overcome to restore order to his county. No one is safe. Naomi's will is tested and Barney becomes more and more desperate. The lengths he is willing to go to in order to save his wife are as sinister as the Glories themselves. From the Manson family to Scientology, cults have been fascinating, disturbing, and terrifying-from their induction methodologies to doomsday imperatives. The Glory Church of Warren Adler's vision is no different. Just look to the headlines. Their time will come.… (more)

Warren Adler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible