Trans-Siberian Express by Warren Adler

Trans-Siberian Express

by Warren Adler

The storyline of the book is about a doctor who is American and a cancer specialist and a Soviet Politburo Chief who has leukemia. The U.S. sends the doctor to Russia to try to keep the Chief alive long enough to finish negotiations on an important treaty. The storyline skips between characters and kind of reminded me of From Russia with Love a James Bond movie.

***I received this book in exchange for an honest review*** ( )
  druidgirl | Dec 30, 2014 |
This book makes me feel old. Not wrinkly, perhaps, but old. Who remembers the Soviets? Who remembers détente, the nuclear standoff, Mutual Assured Destruction? Does anyone remember what overkill really means? For that matter, who remembers the old Trans-Siberian and its funny rules, back when I could afford it. Twice. No one but us old fogies.

I think I read this book when it first came out. It has aged well and I wish Mr. Adler good success with this reissue.

I received an advance review copy of Trans-Siberian Express by Warren Adler (Stonehouse Press) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 26, 2014 |
First of all, I like stories about trains so I was predisposed to like the story. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the development of the characters and the plot. The story plays on the on the disfunctionality of Sino-Soviet relations and the attempt of highly placed party officials and army commanders to correct the problems to the advantage of the Soviet. This, of course, had the potential to incite a nuclear world war and lots of intrigue. All good fodder to make this a good book. My thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read the book and my recommendation to others to give it a try.
  dmclane | Jan 18, 2014 |

Famous American cancer specialist Dr. Alex Cousins is sent by the President of the United States to Russia to prolong the life of the Secretary General of the Politburo. While in Russia, Cousins learns that the Soviets plan to attack China. In an attempt to silence him, the Soviets send Cousins home via the Trans-Siberian Express, the world's longest and most exotic train ride. A beautiful KGB Agent has been ordered to keep him under surveillance until the trip is over. Soon Cousins and the Soviet agent transcend their political differences and fall desperately in love.

This powerful love story, full of intrigue, will keep the reader transfixed and absorbed as the Trans-Siberian Express speeds its way across the vastness of Siberia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:36 -0400)

Famous American cancer specialist Dr. Alex Cousins is sent by the President of the United States to Russia to prolong the life of the Secretary General of the Politburo. While in Russia, Cousins learns that the Soviets plan to attack China. In an attempt to silence him, the Soviets send Cousins home via the Trans-Siberian Express, the world's longest and most exotic train ride. A beautiful KGB agent has been ordered to keep him under surveillance until the trip is over. Soon Cousins and the Soviet agent transcend their political differences and fall desperately in love.… (more)

Warren Adler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

5 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible