Autobiography by John Stuart Mill

Autobiography (1873)

by John Stuart Mill

This model of romantic & Victorian autobiography features many bonus insights. Throughout the book, Mill's own life & concerns are intimately tied with the struggle between the values of Enlightenment & those of Romanticism; with evolving notions of political & social engineering, then known as "political economy"; with the conscientious first-person account of a depression, together with an almost existential approach to its cure. Not to forget the dominant theme of this book: a detailed description & evaluation of the bizarre, slanted, yet singularly effective education of a very young JS Mill by his formidable father, James Mill. ( )
  nielspeterqm | Nov 26, 2010 |
Neat! System of logic stuff is boring. But the first half is pretty snappy.
  leeinaustin | Apr 20, 2009 |
This book is so wonderful on so many different levels that to give it a review at all would be a disservice. My recommendation is not on whether or not to read it but instead on how to read it. I suggest a quiet room, comfortable chair or couch, cup of coffee and a few hours of uninterrupted reading time. After completing the book, rest and repeat as desired. ( )
  stevenschmitt | Nov 15, 2006 |
A classic memoir. The story of a life of the mind above all.
  Fledgist | Feb 4, 2006 |
Open any page of Mill, and you will find something very well-expressed. If I were teaching students to write good, serviceable, muscular, forthright English prose, I should give them Mill to read.

John Stuart Millprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mellizo, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It seems proper that I should prefix to the following biographical sketch some mention of the reasons which have made me think it desirable that I should leave behind me such a memorial of so uneventful a life as mine.
For now I saw, or thought I saw, what I had always before received with incredulity -- that the habit of analysis has a tendency to wear away the feelings; as indeed it has, when no other mental habit is cultivated, and the analyzing spirit remains without its natural complements and correctives.
Of the truth of this I was convinced, but to know that a feeling would make me happy if I had it, did not give me the feeling.
Those only are happy (I thought) who have their minds fixed on some object other than their own happiness; on the happiness of others, on the improvement of mankind, even on some art or pursuit, followed not as a means, but as itself an ideal end.

One of the greatest prodigies of his era, John Stuart Mill (1806-73) was studying arithmetic and Greek by the age of three, as part of an astonishingly intense education at his father's hand. Intellectually brilliant, fearless and profound, he became a leading Victorian liberal thinker, whose works - including "On Liberty", "Utilitarianism", "The Subjection of Women" and this "Autobiography" - are among the crowning achievements of the age. Here he describes the pressures placed on him by his childhood, the mental breakdown he suffered as a young man, his struggle to understand a world of feelings and emotions far removed from his father's strict didacticism, and the later development of his own radical beliefs. A moving account of an extraordinary life, this great autobiography reveals a man of deep integrity, constantly searching for truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:00 -0400)

At three years old John Stuart Mill was studying arithmetic and Greek; by the time he was six he was enjoying Hume and Gibbon and writing Roman histories. Diffident, intellectually brilliant, fearless and profound, he became one of the greatest of the Victorian liberals and his works - particularly On Liberty, Utilitarianism, The Subjection of Women, and this Autobiography - are among the crowning achievements of the age.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible