Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter…

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ (1995)

by Daniel Goleman

English (41)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
I decided to read this book after it had been recommended to me by my boss. He has been trying to increase his own "EQ" to improve his performance as a manager and local business owner. I generally don't read a lot of non-fiction, so this book took me a bit longer to read than I had planned. It wasn't that it was a difficult read, but there were some parts that were very information dense. I also felt like some parts got a bit repetitive, and I tended to just put the book down and not pick it up again for a day when this happened. Despite all this, I think the book was easy to read in that the language was approachable. Granted, I do have a strong science background, but I don't think it would be too hard to follow even if you don't have a masters in biology. I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because above all, I found the topic very interesting and could see myself rereading this book.

The book is divided into 5 parts: an introduction to emotions and the brain, an introduction to emotional intelligence, personal applications of emotional intelligence, interpersonal applications of emotional intelligence, and teaching emotional intelligence. The first part has a large focus on neuroscience and definitions of emotions. The second, third and fourth parts are the real meat of the book where you get into what emotional intelligence is and how it can be applied and beneficial to someone through out their lives and in their various relationships. The final part is mainly just prose advocating for emotional intelligence education becoming a larger part of our education system.

The edition that I was reading was the tenth anniversary edition, published in 2005. The benefit of this was that the introduction was able to give some perspective on how the book has effected change since it's original publication. Also, there is a resources section in the back that has information on ways to educate yourself more about emotional intelligence.

This is not a book about how to increase your emotional intelligence, it is an introductory text about what emotional intelligence is and its history. It does have some advice on how to be more emotionally intelligent, but it is not an educational text or self-help/instructional text by any means. The main detraction for me in this book was that the author does spend a lot of time focusing on how important emotional intelligence is in child development and in child education. This can get a bit tedious if you don't have kids or just aren't that interested in child development. Not to say that I'm opposed to learning about child development and parenting techniques, but as a childless adult, I found it wasn't relevant to me other than being interesting to know.

As previously mentioned, overall I enjoyed this book and found the topic very interesting. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  thealtereggo | Feb 26, 2016 |
Pretty good. A little incomplete, because so much research has been done since, but more careful, plausible, and ultimately 'right' than the other related books I've been reading recently. I particularly appreciate the many times he says "probably" and "might" and "often" - even the subtitle has the word "can" in it. And not an arrogant, self-centered "we" in the book - yay!

Btw, it's not a self-help book. And it's dense only if you don't have experience reading other popular science books. It's good science, but written for laymen. It is a little dry, especially compared to some of the modern pop-psych books.

There is one bit that examines psychopaths that might disturb people coping with autism - but he does make a note that not all people with the particular empathic deficit will be criminal. I imagine the problem is simply that autism was not well-known at the time. I have picked up another, more recent book, by the author at the library because 'autism' is listed multiply in the index and I'll be looking at that next.

I believe that we've (American parents, teachers, cops, & doctors) learned a lot about how important empathy and coping skills and anger management techniques, etc., are since this book came out. I do have hope for us.

I don't see the emotional/ social skills curricula he describes being added to most schools, despite the fact that students trained in emotional wisdom do better academically, though. I believe, as I'd be willing to bet most voters do, that it's still the job of the parent, the child's first teacher, to provide a child with a healthy mental foundation. Unfortunately not all children get this kind of nourishment, but for now I think we'll have to be satisfied that schools are at least aware of Goleman's advice, even if they can't implement it as thoroughly as he and I would like.

Recommended if you're interested - don't bother if you're not. Ok. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Most of the information in the book was somewhat trivial - or maybe it was made to seem trivial by excessive repetition? I also found the book a bit dully written, partly because of the repetition but also its style, and it didn't quite capture me. It was difficult to relate to many of the examples as they were so extreme (murders/killings, e.g. school shooters) and although it was highlighted that there is no need for a tragedy to leave a person emotionally disabled, I was left wondering couldn't the point be made with seemingly normal people. This would have added some complexity to the subject as well and made it more interesting. With all the murdering going on, it almost seemed as if the author wanted to shock people. The problem was highlighted with statistics on teen pregnancies and depression. Yes, that is the obvious result from emotional detachment but there was nothing (or too little) on why is this problem getting more serious now. What is the effect of wars on the people? Is it like we live in constant war and the only way to survive is to shut down emotionally and, as a consequence, this emotionlessness is passed down to our children and grandchildren? Or is it the increased sense of individualism all over the western society? There were, however, some parts that were thought provoking and provided insight to my own life and experience. I still believe that there are better books on the subject (even when I haven't read except this one). ( )
  Lady_Lazarus | Jan 16, 2015 |
exploration of 5 domains;
Self-awareness
Managing Emotions
Self-Motivation
Empathy
Handling Relationships ( )
  RobinThoman | Oct 17, 2014 |
Excellent analysis and presentation on why emotional intelligence matters and how to improve it. Everyone. Read. ( )
  mdubois | May 4, 2014 |
Daniel Goleman.
Emosjonell intelligens. Å tenke med hjertet.
Hovedverket om Emosjonell intelligens (EQ).

I denne boken stilles det blant annet spørsmål om: · Hvorfor mislykkes ofte de med høyest intelligens i det sosiale liv? · Hvorfor er følelsesmessig intelligens viktigere enn IQ? · Hvordan kan vi lære å bli emosjonelt og sosialt intelligente mennesker? Emosjonell intelligens er en bok for alle som ønsker å øke sin selvinnsikt og få råd om hvordan vi skal takle de følelsesmessige utfordringene tilværelsen byr på.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.gyldendal.no (Oct 5, 2009)

Daniel Golemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piélat, ThierryTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roche, DanielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santarrita, MarcosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westbroek, MirjamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an unbearably steamy August afternoon in New York City, the kind of sweaty day that makes people sullen with discomfort.

De psycholoog Daniel Goleman introduceerde als eerste voor een breed publiek het begrip emotionele intelligentie (EQ), het belang van emotionele ABC. Het voelende brein bezit zelfkennis, zelfbeheersing, geestdrift, en het vermogen eigen emoties te herkennen en jezelf te motiveren. Emotionele vaardigheden blijken niet alleen belangrijker te zijn dan rationele, zij zijn van doorslaggevend belang voor succes in werk, relaties en voor ons lichamelijk welbevinden.
Emotionele intelligentie verscheen in 25 talen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055309503X, Hardcover)

The Western cultures esteem analytical skills measured by IQ tests: but there is clearly more to success and happiness, even in technological societies, than IQ alone. Goleman has written one of the best books on the nature and importance of other kinds of intelligence besides our perhaps overly beloved IQ. Recommended.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:52 -0400)

Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,788,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible