Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter…

Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ (1995)

by Daniel Goleman (Author)

Member:madharasan
Title:Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ
Authors:Daniel Goleman (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing
Collections:Your library, To read, To Read This Year
Tags:Psychology

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman (1995)

English (43)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (50)
This book was recommended reading for a 2012 management program for which I was selected. I admit up front that I typically would not read it, but I thought I'd give it a shot and tried to keep an open mind. If "tried" foreshadows my conclusions...well, I tried.

Three quarters bio-anatomy (quite a number of surveys/studies cited, "suggesting" correlation), one sixth bold statements and conclusions from those surveys, leaving one twelfth that might have value in the workplace. That is, after all, the reason the subject was recommended. Actually, one twelfth is a bit generous (being 25 pages.) I flagged less than 20 to pull tidbits from. Opinion, yes, but this is my "review", thus my opinion counts.

I read this so that I might add to my leadership toolbox. Instead, I came away with a lesser impression of Goleman's position: "See? Biology supports this. I'm right, even if I can't make my case very convincing to people who don't think like me." Not to say that someone more emotionally attuned wouldn't buy into the entire theory, but I had too hard a time shaking off the questions I couldn't quite form in my head as I read the book. I felt there were too many forced conclusions. I don't fault Goleman for corralling the research supporting his model, but I wonder if he could look at the data and come up with something else, or if his bias drove him to seek out the studies that seemed to support his conclusions.

In short, the book did little to explain to me the subtitle "Why it can matter more than IQ" in - and I'll take the blame for this - terms I could accept, and worse, did a poor sell of the cover (10th anniversary edition) superlative "The groundbreaking book that redefined what it means to be smart."

Why is the business world so susceptible to faddish theories? Demings's Total Quality Managment...Six Sigma...life coaching...emotional intelligence. In a oddly serendipitous infrequent check on my LinkedIn page as I read this book, I noticed someone suggested as someone I might know was a "Certified Emotional Intelligence Consultant." Apparently, I am way behind the curve on this one. And like most things ignored, now that I am aware of emotional intelligence (EQ), I'm sure I'll see more of it.

Too little of the book was spent on anything practical and too much seemed to be spent on justifying the conclusions. Part Men Are From Mars..., part take-your-pick of self-help tracts, part disconnected psycho-studies, it seemed to me that Goleman could see only his conclusion from any scenario presented. "The single most important element in group intelligence, it turns out, is not the average IQ in the academic sense, but rather in terms of emotional intelligence." The "single most"? "it turns out"? Very definite, yet not very rigorous, nor conclusive. But while I admit not having the skills/background to point out where Goleman may be wrong, his absolute pronouncements registered discordant with me. How can you state so conclusively that what separates achieves is not their IQ (which Goleman rightly pegs as a measure of potential academic success, not as being "intelligent") but their EQ? Reaching.

"There is an old-fashioned word for the body of skills that emotional intelligence represents: character."

"old-fashioned"? Not in my book. If "character" fits, why invent a new term?

Lumping together common sense concepts such as cooperation and workplace harmony and rebranding them as "emotional intelligence" is brilliant. And a tad saccharine. Disclosing my aversion to diet sweeteners, you can see my reaction to this book. But I can appreciate those who can sell this serpentine lubricant - until the next fad. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
So the craze around emotional intelligence ended about 10 years ago, so I thought I could read this book and still remain irrelevant.

Actually enjoyed this book and may read another Goleman book. This of course was the seminal book that argued for the importance of paying attention to emotions and how we manage emotions and how that contributes to healthy, successful lives.

But this is not a self help book. Goleman has a lot of interesting information about emotional intelligence and brain chemistry and educational initiatives and their impact. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I first read this in 1998 when the idea of emotional intelligence was new to me, and found it quite heavy-going in places. However I was very much taken with the principles that the ability to empathise with others is as important as linguistic or mathematical ability, and that when children are given good social skills at home or at school, they are less likely to turn to dangerous or illegal behaviour in their teens.

It’s taken me ten months to re-read it. That’s partly because I have been reading so many other books, but also because a lot of it is scientific or technical. Neural pathways and other medical terms tend to go above my head. I was more interested in the sections about family life, and suggestions for spotting when someone is in the grip of strong emotion. I was also interested again in the section looking at ways in which children can be taught emotional intelligence skills.

It’s not a book to read in one sitting; there’s a great deal to take in, and much to think about. Perhaps there’s some repetition and over-technical parts, but as a handbook for a layperson wanting to know more about emotions and emotional intelligence, I would recommend it. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Dec 6, 2016 |
Pretty good. A little incomplete, because so much research has been done since, but more careful, plausible, and ultimately 'right' than the other related books I've been reading recently. I particularly appreciate the many times he says probably" and "might" and "often" - even the subtitle has the word "can" in it. And not an arrogant, self-centered "we" in the book - yay!

Btw, it's not a self-help book. And it's dense only if you don't have experience reading other popular science books. It's good science, but written for laymen. It is a little dry, especially compared to some of the modern pop-psych books.

There is one bit that examines psychopaths that might disturb people coping with autism - but he does make a note that not all people with the particular empathic deficit will be criminal. I imagine the problem is simply that autism was not well-known at the time. I have picked up another, more recent book, by the author at the library because 'autism' is listed multiply in the index and I'll be looking at that next.

I believe that we've (American parents, teachers, cops, & doctors) learned a lot about how important empathy and coping skills and anger management techniques, etc., are since this book came out. I do have hope for us.

I don't see the emotional/ social skills curricula he describes being added to most schools, despite the fact that students trained in emotional wisdom do better academically, though. I believe, as I'd be willing to bet most voters do, that it's still the job of the parent, the child's first teacher, to provide a child with a healthy mental foundation. Unfortunately not all children get this kind of nourishment, but for now I think we'll have to be satisfied that schools are at least aware of Goleman's advice, even if they can't implement it as thoroughly as he and I would like.

Recommended if you're interested - don't bother if you're not. Ok." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I decided to read this book after it had been recommended to me by my boss. He has been trying to increase his own "EQ" to improve his performance as a manager and local business owner. I generally don't read a lot of non-fiction, so this book took me a bit longer to read than I had planned. It wasn't that it was a difficult read, but there were some parts that were very information dense. I also felt like some parts got a bit repetitive, and I tended to just put the book down and not pick it up again for a day when this happened. Despite all this, I think the book was easy to read in that the language was approachable. Granted, I do have a strong science background, but I don't think it would be too hard to follow even if you don't have a masters in biology. I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because above all, I found the topic very interesting and could see myself rereading this book.

The book is divided into 5 parts: an introduction to emotions and the brain, an introduction to emotional intelligence, personal applications of emotional intelligence, interpersonal applications of emotional intelligence, and teaching emotional intelligence. The first part has a large focus on neuroscience and definitions of emotions. The second, third and fourth parts are the real meat of the book where you get into what emotional intelligence is and how it can be applied and beneficial to someone through out their lives and in their various relationships. The final part is mainly just prose advocating for emotional intelligence education becoming a larger part of our education system.

The edition that I was reading was the tenth anniversary edition, published in 2005. The benefit of this was that the introduction was able to give some perspective on how the book has effected change since it's original publication. Also, there is a resources section in the back that has information on ways to educate yourself more about emotional intelligence.

This is not a book about how to increase your emotional intelligence, it is an introductory text about what emotional intelligence is and its history. It does have some advice on how to be more emotionally intelligent, but it is not an educational text or self-help/instructional text by any means. The main detraction for me in this book was that the author does spend a lot of time focusing on how important emotional intelligence is in child development and in child education. This can get a bit tedious if you don't have kids or just aren't that interested in child development. Not to say that I'm opposed to learning about child development and parenting techniques, but as a childless adult, I found it wasn't relevant to me other than being interesting to know.

As previously mentioned, overall I enjoyed this book and found the topic very interesting. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  thealtereggo | Feb 26, 2016 |
Daniel Goleman.
Emosjonell intelligens. Å tenke med hjertet.
Hovedverket om Emosjonell intelligens (EQ).

I denne boken stilles det blant annet spørsmål om: · Hvorfor mislykkes ofte de med høyest intelligens i det sosiale liv? · Hvorfor er følelsesmessig intelligens viktigere enn IQ? · Hvordan kan vi lære å bli emosjonelt og sosialt intelligente mennesker? Emosjonell intelligens er en bok for alle som ønsker å øke sin selvinnsikt og få råd om hvordan vi skal takle de følelsesmessige utfordringene tilværelsen byr på.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.gyldendal.no (Oct 5, 2009)

Daniel Golemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Piélat, ThierryTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roche, DanielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santarrita, MarcosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westbroek, MirjamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an unbearably steamy August afternoon in New York City, the kind of sweaty day that makes people sullen with discomfort.
De psycholoog Daniel Goleman introduceerde als eerste voor een breed publiek het begrip emotionele intelligentie (EQ), het belang van emotionele ABC. Het voelende brein bezit zelfkennis, zelfbeheersing, geestdrift, en het vermogen eigen emoties te herkennen en jezelf te motiveren. Emotionele vaardigheden blijken niet alleen belangrijker te zijn dan rationele, zij zijn van doorslaggevend belang voor succes in werk, relaties en voor ons lichamelijk welbevinden.
Emotionele intelligentie verscheen in 25 talen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055309503X, Hardcover)

The Western cultures esteem analytical skills measured by IQ tests: but there is clearly more to success and happiness, even in technological societies, than IQ alone. Goleman has written one of the best books on the nature and importance of other kinds of intelligence besides our perhaps overly beloved IQ. Recommended.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:52 -0400)

Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being. What emerges is an entirely new way to talk about being smart.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible