Avalanche by Patrick F. McManus

This is the second Bo Tully story I have read and it's even more enjoyable than the first. The interplay between the characters, Bo father and ex-sheriff who made a fortune as a corrupt sheriff, Lurch, his CSI, Daisy, the secretary, and Herb, the under-sheriff, is charming and humorous.

Bo is called to a resort in the mountains to investigate the disappearance of the co-owner. On the way they are barely missed by an avalanche which we soon learn was deliberately aimed at his vehicle. No more spoilers. The series is a lot of fun, and I intend to read all of them. Reminiscent of the delightful "liturgical" mysteries by Mark Schweizer that are often laugh-out-loud funny. ( )
  ecw0647 | Jun 20, 2017 |
Bo heads up to a ski lodge to locate a missing (murdered) person. Good story line, though a bit confusing on some of the details. Good humor. ( )
1 vote addunn3 | Aug 26, 2014 |
I could have laughed all night and still have laughed some more! ( )
1 vote Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
First Line: He stood at the window studiously watching the large fluffy snowflakes fill up his mother's backyard.

With all the snow that's fallen in Blight County, Idaho, Sheriff Bo Tully is glad that business is rather slow and he's got time to visit his mother to eat pie and listen to the latest gossip. Seems like the only trouble spot on Bo's horizon is that Clarence is back and sitting in one of Bo's jail cells.

Who's Clarence? A scruffy little dog that likes to hide under cars and dart out to bite people in the ankles. Bo wants the dog to "disappear" but none of his deputies seem to be getting the message.

In the meantime, Mike Wilson, the owner of the pricey West Branch Lodge, has gone missing, and Bo agrees to go up there with a tracker and his father, Pap Tully, to look for the man. They're just about at the Lodge when an avalanche almost wipes out Bo's Explorer (as well as Bo and Pap). They are going to be stuck at the West Branch Lodge for the foreseeable future until the roads are cleared.

Being cooped up with his father and a motley assortment of guests (including a group of college students on break with nothing but extreme sports-- and extreme beer drinking-- in mind) does Bo no good at all. Everyone is looking like a suspect to him, but he's got to make sense of it all before the roads are cleared and all the guests leave.

I loved this book, from the convoluted trail to the killer to the location to the smorgasbord of marvelously drawn characters. Even Clarence the dog was a wonderful bit of characterization.

I think one of the reasons why I have been enjoying this series so much is that it's bringing back fun memories of Grampa and his hunting, coffee-drinking, poker-playing buddies at the Legion Hall. Those guys could spin yarns, and I could sit there and lap up every single word. Bo, his father, and the other characters in Avalanche are following this fine tradition, but the book isn't so "manly" that females who haven't gone hunting or who haven't played poker at the Legion Hall won't be interested. There are some interesting female characters in the books, along with a bit of romance here and there.

Granted, the man stuff and the humor figure more prominently. When Bo learns that he and his men will be staying at the very expensive West Branch Lodge while they search for the missing owner, I laughed at Bo's reaction: "Oh, the county will pick up the tab. Several of the county commissioners haven't dropped dead at the sight of my expense account, and I'm trying to finish them off."

If you're in the mood to laugh and be entertained while you read well-plotted mysteries, I hope you'll think about trying one of Patrick McManus's Sheriff Bo Tully mysteries. ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Sep 9, 2010 |
Pat McManus, of Field and Stream humor fame, has started a mystery series featring Sheriff Bo Tully. The mystery series show some elements of McManus's quirky humor, but aren't nearly as funny as the stories he tells in his short works and articles.

However, I did like this book. It's light and fun. Unfortunately, I seem to have come into the series in the middle, but I like the series enough to want to see if this particular book just wasn't as snappy as the others, or if it is indicative of the series. ( )
1 vote SLHobbs | Aug 14, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141653265X, Hardcover)

When the call comes in that Mike Wilson, the unlikable owner of the fancy West Branch Lodge, has gone missing, Sheriff Bo Tully is delighted. He'll have to stay at the lodge and investigate in luxury! But when an avalanche traps him there for the foreseeable future, along with his retired sheriff father, a motley group of vacationers, and a naughty old flame, life starts to get complicated. The missing persons case turns out to be a murder case, Tully discovers the avalanche was no accident of nature, and suddenly everyone starts to look like a suspect -- even the murder victim! It's up to Tully to figure it all out in this comic romp through the wilds of Blight County, Idaho, from bestselling author Patrick McManus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:27 -0400)

Sheriff Bo Tully of Blight County, Idaho, is back. Tully and his retired sheriff father, Pap, are on their way up to West Branch Lodge, a fancy mountain resort, to investigate a missing persons case when suddenly an avalanche thunders down the mountain.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible