Hold the Roses by Rose Marie

Hold the Roses

by Rose Marie

Our family just loves watching Dick Van Dyke reruns on Netflix---even to the point that we asked Grandpa for the entire series on dvd for Christmas! I was excited when I'd heard Rose Marie had a biography out...and this one didn't disappoint!

The book was so interesting and I think my only real complaint is that she didn't include dates to help put events in a better historical perspective. It was nice to read about someone in Hollywood with some class and morals.

She did leave a couple unanswered questions. I'd love to know about her family's "real" connection to Al Capone, and I think she's just ROTTEN for not disclosing the significance of the black bow!

Excellent read and I hope the next reader enjoys it just as much as I have! ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Oct 6, 2014 |

Most of us remember Rose Marie as the wisecracking Sally Rogers on The Dick Van Dyke Show, or recognize her from her perch in the top middle square on Hollywood Squares, but her career in show business has spanned almost seventy years.

At the tender age of three Rose Marie Mazzetta was entered in an amateur contest at New York City’s Mecca Theatre. Her rendition of "What Can I Say Dear, After I Say I’m Sorry?" won, and her career was launched. She stayed "Baby Rose Marie" until she was well into her teens, singing in nightclubs, on vaudeville stages, on the radio, and in the movies.

It was a glamorous but difficult life—she worked side by side with legends such as Al Jolson, Milton Berle, and W.C. Fields, and was watched over by "Uncle" Al Capone and his associates—but her father managed her career and personal life with an iron fist, gambling her earnings away and abusing her and any boy foolish enough to show an interest in the family meal ticket.

Rose Marie married trumpeter Bobby Guy in 1946 and continued as a singer and nightclub entertainer. She soon established a second career on the small screen, most prominently as Sally on the legendary Dick Van Dyke Show, a groundbreaking role for which she earned three Emmy nominations and which continues to gather new fans from reruns on TV Land. Her fourteen years on Hollywood Squares and recent guest spots on such hit shows as Murphy Brown and Caroline in the City have kept her in the spotlight.

With candor and humor, Rose Marie tells of her many years in the entertainment world. Her behind-the-scenes look at show business is replete with intimate stories of household names from Hollywood, Las Vegas, and Broadway.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,608,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible