Hollywood Girls Club by Maggie Marr

Hollywood Girls Club

by Maggie Marr

A long time ago, I read a [a:Danielle Steel|14255|Danielle Steel|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1340133722p2/14255.jpg] book called [b:Secrets|59854|Secrets|Danielle Steel|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348369534s/59854.jpg|3048156]. I think it was my first time reading about Hollywood, and I clearly remember enjoying an insider's glimpse into the world of TV and filmmaking.

Yesterday, I finished this little gem and it gave me that same fun, voyeuristic feeling. I loved reading about four strong women navigating male-centric Hollywood. Some situations may seem outrageous to those who have not worked in the business, but they felt pretty true to me. Except for all the happy endings, LOL. Hollywood endings generally happen on screen only, but this is a romance, so everyone got their well-earned HEA. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and immediately got [b:Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club|16431253|Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club|Maggie Marr|/assets/nocover/60x80.png|2419590] and [b:Hollywood Hit|20580135|Hollywood Hit (Hollywood Girls Club)|Maggie Marr|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1390172884s/20580135.jpg|26792050]. Can't wait! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
The uber-agent, the uber-producer, the superstar actress, and the newbie screenwriter - four stories that interweave together deliciously, all tied in to the success - or failure - or the upcoming motion picture Seven Minutes Past Midnight. Along with restaurants, spas, romantic affairs, and SHOES.

If you like chick lit, name/place-dropping, and women who can learn to play the Hollywood game without losing their femininity in a town that is built around "good ol' boys' club" rules, you'll love this book.

I particularly liked being drawn in to scenes where we are clued in to where someone broke the unwritten Hollywood rules, like "the Leprechaun" trying to sabotage Lydia's big action shoot out of spite. We meet some stereotypes: the aging producer who loses his head (both of them) over a VERY young starlet, the director who has to be fetched from his Fiji baboon-poo splattered retreat, some male stars just out of rehab who can't be trusted without a babysitter.

It's an entertaining summer beach read, and full of humor and fashion, if not particularly earth-shattering. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
I read the second book in this series first and sometimes got the characters confused. I had the same problem in this first book. Maybe it's because these female Hollywood power players seem interchangeable, as they go through the ups and downs of getting a movie made. That may sound negative, but I enjoyed this book enough that I'm now reading the third installment in the series (all 3 books are packaged in a reasonably priced Kindle edition). ( )
  ennie | Feb 22, 2014 |

The climb to the top of the Hollywood ladder is treacherous, especially in stilettos. And as any A-lister knows, even harder than getting to the top is staying there. Hollywood Girls Club follows the well-heeled footsteps of three power players who are determined not to lose their footing: Jessica, the agency president with hot, demanding clients and an ice-cold fiance; Celeste, the megastar whose action-flick-director husband just dumped her for a fresh-faced newcomer; and Lydia, the producer with the magic touch whose new boss is personally waging a campaign to ruin her career. They’ve been friends for a long time, and in the poisonous petri dish of the film industry, having friends with power is crucial, but having friends you can trust is even better.

For the first time, the stars have aligned and Jessica, Celeste, and Lydia are all working on the same project, a big-budget action movie called Seven Minutes Past Midnight. The movie is going to be a blockbuster if they can ever get it wrapped. But between complicated personal lives, mind games and backstabbing, and a movie studio head with an unfortunate resemblance to an evil leprechaun, there has been more than the usual amount of chaos during filming. It will take all their collective clout to get this movie into theaters. Together with Mary Anne, a naive writer from Minnesota whom they plucked from obscurity to polish Lydia’s script, the girls fight, Hollywood style, to make this film a box-office hit.

Shifting from one woman’s perspective to another’s, this addictive page-turner takes you inside L.A. to reveal the inner workings of Hollywood and how strong-willed women navigate the shifting landscape of influence and control. No more tales from the assistant’s office, Hollywood Girls Club is the story of the players themselves, with their sometimes ugly motivations, humanizing frailties, grandiose scandals, and the lasting friendships you can find, even in the Hollywood jungle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Three women--Jessica, an agency president; Celeste, a popular actress; and Lydia, a producer--struggle to reach the heights of the entertainment industry and to stay there, with the help of naive Minnesota writer Mary Anne.

Maggie Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,548,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible